Can't stream video from one box to another

I've had the strangest issue lately and I just can not find a solution.

I was having mobo issues with my previous build, toward the end it began not streaming video from it to any other PC on my network.

I replaced almost everything but kept the media hard drive. Now, in the new box I still can't have any other PC on my network stream media from the new box, I can watch the media on the box itself fine, I can stream from any other PC's media on the network to that box just fine. The hard drive SMART checks out OK, and Windows 7 error checking as well as Western Digitals data lifeguard says the drive is fine. The box is completely new save for reusing the media hard drive. I have replaced the SATA cable on the drive, the router on my network and the CAT5 cable from the box to the router. And there is a fresh install of windows 7 on the box when I replaced all the parts.

I am stumped completely.

Yeah, the drive is shared and accessible, it does take a few seconds longer to load as you navigate directories across the network, but not locally.

Yeah, the drive is shared and accessible, it does take a few seconds longer to load as you navigate directories across the network, but not locally.

happens on all computers ? Firewall on or off ? What is "ITS" connected speed ? 10/100 or 10/100/1000 ?

the problem computer can see and access all shared files on the other computers on the network. The other computers on the network can see, with slow load times the shared files on the problem PC, and streaming video or audio through VLC or Media Player results in the programs hanging and not responding.

running 10/100/1000, all three firewalls are off, the computers are all a part of the same home group. All computers are running Windows 7.

the problem computer can see and access all shared files on the other computers on the network. The other computers on the network can see, with slow load times the shared files on the problem PC, and streaming video or audio through VLC or Media Player results in the programs hanging and not responding.

running 10/100/1000, all three firewalls are off, the computers are all a part of the same home group. All computers are running Windows 7.

sounds like a bad port on the router / switch or bad drivers on the computer..

Hmm, the router is new and the issue persisted with the old router, the mobo is new as well as all the cables involved. I will check for updated drivers when I get home and see what I can find.

OK, went home on lunch and checked the drivers, everything is up to date. On a whim I decided to try directly transferring a file from the affected machine. It took about 4 minutes to refresh and then the transfer was a steady and crappy 14kbps. That might be my streaming issue right there. Any one have any ideas on what could be causing the low transfer rates?

Patch cable going bad?

EDIT - NVM, missed where you said it was replaced.

From command prompt do a tracert [IPOfaPCYou'reStreamingToMinusBrackets] and write down the IP addresses of the hops.

Now do a ping [FirstHopIPHereMinusBrackets] -n 100.

Check to see if you see packet drops and/or any more than a few milliseconds worth of latency. If not, try the next hop. I can't imagine you'd have more than 1 or two hops to the PC you're trying to stream to but let us know if you see any issues.

Last edited:
OK, it looks like I've fixed the problem. I was reading and found that sometimes Large Send Offload in the adapter settings can cause problems, so I disabled that and set the adapter to full 1gigabit instead of auto negotiation and that seemed to have set things right.

Kinda odd to see a duplex mismatch issue with a workstation but I'm glad you figured it out. Did the ping test point you to the problem?

No, the ping was one hop and at 1ms. I just started reading everything I could about general network slow downs and found those two tips.

Back