Can't make up my mind!

Daleon

Limp Gawd
Need to replace my 42" Panasonic LED soon. Passing it on to a family member and really tired of it. Been big screen since the Olevia 27 to my Westy 37 to this 42. Not sure if I can give it up or stop going bigger every upgrade.

Usage, everything. Cable, PS4, XB1, PC. I sit about 3 ft back currently.

No real interest in 4K. 1440P could be nice. 120\144Hz I would really like. Would love Gsync\ULMB.

So go Swift right? But 1 dp input? I have hdmi to dp cables, but will that even still work with consoles and cable? Will it look good? If it worked it would obviously have the best input lag possible compared to big screens.

The LG UM95 is nice but again will do nothing for me with console and cable right? Don't want huge black bars half the time or dealing with bad scaling issues.

Have been leaning heavily towards the Sony KDL50W800B. It has 24.3 input lag, about the best there is for big screens. Going another 8" larger though still has me slightly worried. This after I talked myself out of going 60/65 to start with.

Is there a perfect screen for me out there? 1080P, great PPI, 32-36", 120-144Hz, with plenty of inputs.

The Swift only works with PC's and has poor viewing angles, colors black levels and uses a grainy matte coating compared to the semi-glossy Sony TV's. The Sony KDL32W70x (0/5/6) has lower input lag than the 50", and much better black levels than the Swift and LG UM95, which is not worth buying for console use.

Consoles are locked @60hz and all of the true or overclock-able 120hz+ monitors either use 24-27" TN panels or single-input 27" 1440p IPS/PLS panels which only work with PC's.

15ms input lag is definitely better but not sure its worth the hassle it would be to try and get it imported plus its really over priced to me. The 50 I can get at BB right now. Guess Sony doesn't think anyone in the US wants tv's that small anymore.

Yeah, I will have to give up something I am sure. Should I consider one of the 4K big screens? The Samsung UN55HU6950FXZA or Seiki SE5OUY04 for instance? Not sure how those react when connected to a pc. I know with NV you can do the 4K@60Hz over HDMI by hacking the amount of color that is sent but supposedly this makes Windows look pretty bad but works well with video. Will these lower down to 1440P@60Hz?

The Sony KDL32W700 is available in North America and the current Seiki's are 30hz@4K. I'd skip 4K unless you plan on buying another 1-2 780 Ti's, can handle hideous text (once it is increased to legible sizes) in some games and programs, and twice as much input lag since most of the 4K TV's tested have 45ms+ delays,

Really? Pretty sure I saw it was an International model. Google on it brings up nothing but international sites. Can't find any US retailers for it.

I know gaming at 4K is mostly beyond my single 780ti why I was wondering if I could drop it to 1440P@60Hz. Didn't consider the input lag on the 4K's though so that would be a no go then. Thinking I will just have to live with the 50W800b as my general screen for now and maybe get a dedicated pc gamer screen later.

NCIX US sells it and it is widely available in Canada. 1440p will not look good on a 4K display and completely defeats the purpose, especially since consoles are 720-1080p. If you want to waste your money, buy a 4K TV. If you are getting TV lag measurements from Rtings, you can half most of them since they are using an inaccurate Stop-Watch timer, and Leobodnar results include pixel response time measurements and are not a true input lag measurements.

Yeah I was going by rtings or anything I could find. Generally if its one of the better input lag screens I can probably live with it. Hoping the Motionflow Impulse mode will also help make things a little nicer.

The 32 is $700 and on back order at NCIXUS, ugh. Think I have to pass on that.

Last edited:
Got the KDL50W800B tonight. Working on the tweaks, going slowly though. Think I got the Cinema mode decent but getting Game mode to look good is being tough. Windows is also kind of off. The resolution does not look or feel like 1080P at all. My icons look large. My windows don't display as much without scrolling as before.

Man, I barely got out of BB without going into serious debt. The Samsung 4K curved screens look incredible. Of course that is with 4K content. A 60-70" curved 4K is definitely my next step up.

Last edited:
Found that lowering DPI fixed my issues in Windows. Back to what feels like a real 1080P res now.

Still not 100% sold on keeping it. Can't get that Samsung HU7250 out of my mind. Having the curved screen would be nice immersion and the Windows real estate would be nice. The input lag on these screens looks scary bad though.

I have that same Sony and I love it as my second PC display. I use the Overlord as my main desktop for browsing and gaming and the KDL50W800B for Netflixing and Blu-rays. I'm definitely impressed with the Sony's performance as a PC monitor, the low input lag is a big plus in that regard. Navigating Netflix and YouTube with mouse/KB is nice and responsive, I think you made a good choice.

Well I wasn't getting any wow factor at all from the Sony. Had configs pretty well dialed but it just wasn't impressive with 1080i Uverse, Windows, and the PS3 looked absolutely terrible. Gave a horrid screen window effect, no idea what was causing it. So packed it up and decided to just go for it. Samsung HU7250 curved 4K.

Had to use a newer HDMI cable to get Windows to display. I had bought a 10ft 10.2Gbps Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - RED a while back because it has such a slim easy to deal with cable but never used it yet, worked perfectly.

No adjustments at all yet, booted right into 3840x2160 60Hz!

Right off the bat HD channels look great and depending on the content some looked incredibly good. Windows in general is so much nicer. Very sharp, easy on my eyes, just gorgeous. Will try some games soon.

Desktop_zps1816107e.jpg

Back