Can't get my 3200mhz RAM to run in game at that speed?

Shilton001

n00b
PC Spec

Asus B-550i Gaming motherboard
Ryzen 5800x CPU
3070ti GPU

Hi all,

I originally had 32gb of 3200mhz RAM in my pc so I decided to upgrade my RAM with the identiical spec but just double the gb (64gb). The original x2 16gb 3200mhz works fine at that speed in the BIOS. When I changed the RAM to x2 32gb 3200mhz (same brand and spec) in game I would get a dev error caused by the new RAM? I changed the RAM speed to 3000mhz in the BIOS and now it works in game fine with no dev error.

My question is, is this just a quick fix? To get the RAM working correctly at 3200mhz what do I need to look at and change?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

What game? What os? What ram specifically?
It dev error'd in Warzone and in Vanguard it just froze when I started the game.

I'm using Windows 10 all fully updated.

RAM Spec - 64GB (2x32GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-20-20-38, XMP 2.0, 1.35V 76VSS. The old RAM was the virtual exact same spec just a smaller size in GB.

Thanks

ah good old corsair, every kit ive ever used needed more voltage. up the ram voltage to 1.4v and bump the soc voltage a bit(5-10%) like furious suggested.

Are you running the xmp profile and making sure the voltage is set properly?
The DOCP profile is running in the bios and i'm sure the voltage was set to 1.35v like suggested for that RAM spec. I will try upping the RAM voltage and SOC later from what the others have suggested.

Thanks

Couldn't upload images so ive had to add them to dropbox and copy the links. See my bios info below -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q26v7bfrxl3ig9/Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 17.17.29.png?dl=0 Image 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ro7kzydg7uhn6p/Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 17.18.25.png?dl=0 Image 2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6miel3g11se15z1/Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 17.19.11.png?dl=0 Image 3

Any advise on the changes needed would be great.

Thank you.
just drag and drop the pics into the reply window, [H] will host them locally.

Yeah Ive just tried that and it keeps coming up with a "Oops we ran into some problems" error message.
its 'cause they are 20+ MB. resize them and they should work like this:
RIeJmQ.png

So should I try upping the DRAM voltage to 1.4 and the VDDCR SOC Voltage to 1.1?

Thanks
yup. i cant quite make out what that vddcr soc voltage says, but thats the one to up, iirc.

its 'cause they are 20+ MB. resize them and they should work like this:
View attachment 434434

yup. i cant quite make out what that vddcr soc voltage says, but thats the one to up, iirc.
Yeah I just noticed that. I think the SOC is 1.000v. Ok I will try that along with setting the speed back to 3200mhz and see how it goes thank you. Will report back. Really appreciate the help.

Yeah I just noticed that. I think the SOC is 1.000v. Ok I will try that along with setting the speed back to 3200mhz and see how it goes thank you. Will report back. Really appreciate the help.
no prob and welcome to [H].

no prob and welcome to [H].
Just changed the values discussed in the BIOS and pressed F10 to save and exit. My PC then just froze on the restart page. Started it up again and it just froze again. Reset the value back to what they were before the changes and it started fine. Something it doesn't like about when those values are altered? Not sure why? Thanks

Just changed the values discussed in the BIOS and pressed F10 to save and exit. My PC then just froze on the restart page. Started it up again and it just froze again. Reset the value back to what they were before the changes and it started fine. Something it doesn't like about when those values are altered? Not sure why? Thanks
try bumping the cpu soc voltage a bit too. oh and make sure your bios is up to date too. leave it at a lower setting to do so, just in case...
edit: also, is your ram this kit on the qvl?
1642703206676.png

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

you could also try sacrificing 1 point on the timings...

Last edited:
try bumping the cpu soc voltage a bit too. oh and make sure your bios is up to date too. leave it at a lower setting to do so, just in case...
View attachment 434447
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

View attachment 434447

This is the exact RAM that I bought https://www.scan.co.uk/products/64g...3200-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-16-20-20-38-xmp-2

I will update the BIOS first then before applying any of the settings.

I'm confused as to why it dev errors when having the speed at 3200mhz but performs ok at 3000mhz. I assume upping these voltages won't harm the PC even when it crashes?

Many thanks
looks right.
turn off docp and update the bios, then try again..
no its fine, my ram is 3400 up'd to 3600 and i have it at 1.425v. some of the higher speed stuff goes up to 1.5+
no prob.
and like i said about timing, you could try 17-21-21-40. you probably wouldnt notice a difference unless looking for it.

ah good old corsair, every kit ive ever used needed more voltage. up the ram voltage to 1.4v and bump the soc voltage a bit(5-10%) like furious suggested.
I've had two sets from them that I had to do the same just to run stable at the advertised speeds. I ended up RMA'ing them and the replacements worked fine without the bump..

looks right.
turn off docp and update the bios, then try again..
no its fine, my ram is 3400 up'd to 3600 and i have it at 1.425v. some of the higher speed stuff goes up to 1.5+
no prob.
and like i said about timing, you could try 17-21-21-40. you probably wouldnt notice a difference unless looking for it.
Ok so just checked and my BIOS is updated to the latest version. So you think I should change the speed back up to 3200, the vram voltage to 1.4v, the soc voltage to 1.1v and the cpu voltage to 1.6v?

Change the timings at the same time or try that after?

Thanks

Ok so just checked and my BIOS is updated to the latest version. So you think I should change the speed back up to 3200, the vram voltage to 1.4v, the soc voltage to 1.1v and the cpu voltage to 1.6v?

Change the timings at the same time or try that after?

Thanks
no do not up the cpu to 1.6v. whered that come from?! leave cpu on auto, or a slight under-volt of .05ish.
after, lets call it a last resort, even though a minor step down really wont make any noticeable difference unless benchmarking or timing looooong encodes.
no prob, hopefully we can get it up to 3200, it should. the ones on the qvl list specify a version number. do you see that on the pack anywhere? newer ryzens arent typically that picky but i guess it could be...

and lastly you could try an rma with "wont do labeled speed/voltage" as mchart said. but keep in mind that those are on intel systems, amd often take a bit of tweaking. which is why there is now amd specified kits. a lot of the time its just slightly relaxed timings.

That’s why I thought I better check first as I thought I read to bump up the cpu soc voltage a little as well?

So the vram voltage to 1.4v and the soc voltage change to 1.1v instead of 1v. Timings tweak to 17-21-21-40. Where is the cpu soc part to change?

If these simple changes don’t work I think I might have to leave it be as anything more advanced I worry about ruining the PC for something that really is only minor.

Again thanks for your help

That’s why I thought I better check first as I thought I read to bump up the cpu soc voltage a little as well?

So the vram voltage to 1.4v and the soc voltage change to 1.1v instead of 1v. Timings tweak to 17-21-21-40. Where is the cpu soc part to change?

If these simple changes don’t work I think I might have to leave it be as anything more advanced I worry about ruining the PC for something that really is only minor.

Again thanks for your help
im misreading the cpu soc stuff. in your 3rd pic is at the bottom but its "telemetry" not sure what that is but its not what i thought it was. that you second line setting and hopefully she goes.

Back