Can't Access Server 2012 R2 within linux?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
For the past couple years I have not been able to access my windows server 2012 r2 shares from the network in any of my linux machines no matter what distro. I always use XFCE if that matters though.

I can get to my Asustor nas no problem though.

Any ideas?

When I type in smb://servername it comes back with

"Failed to open file system
failed to retrieve share list from server: invalid argument"

I'm not good with the command line.

Check the server to see if SMB 1.0/CIFS is enabled. It's probably not turned on and most likely that's causing your issue.

If you have a DM installed you don't have to use terminal. Your GUI based file manager should have the option in the LHS pane down the bottom to browse network. If you use this feature do you see any devices on the network and can you access shares? Chances are this is going to be an issue with the server, being the Windows PC.

Check the server to see if SMB 1.0/CIFS is enabled. It's probably not turned on and most likely that's causing your issue.

When this is the case it's usually the Windows PC that cannot access shares by name, but it should still access shares by IP.

If Samba is installed, you can define a ton of security & version options for SMB. There really shouldn't be a need to utilize SMBv1/CIFS but I think that all depends on the version of Samba client being used (& whatever compiled features are built-in).

Sometimes it can also be in reverse, the open source versions utiising much later and more secure protocols the Windows server doesn't support (because it's old and doesn't get free upgrades). Sometimes you need to force old insecure protocols in place just to talk with the Windows.

Windows to Linux and vice versa is a nightmare. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. In my humble experience, a mapped share always works. This leads me to believe the problem lies with the network browser. Why god why is it that a share can be out there and available but the stupid box, Linux or Windows, refuses to see it. Makes no sense to me why this is so. Seems like it would be an easy problem to fix.

You need to make sure the protocols you are using match up. You need to verify you are using SMB on the Windows Server, what version, and configuration settings. Then you need to make sure you are using the same version on Linux to connect to it. You also need to make sure you have the proper network access between the two systems. You might correctly setup SMB, but not have the proper FW access for your Linux system to access the Win server. Or you may not have allowed the right access on your network for the two IPs to communicate.

I have a mapped connection to my media server on my Linux box and on a Windows box in the family room. Neither has ever failed to work. This would seem to rule out a problem with protocols but what do I know.

Back