Cannot turn off 'Read only' on Netgear readyshare network USB hard drive

Hashiriya415

Limp Gawd
I changed routers recently. I realize that I don't have full access to the attached hard drive.
I tried to delete some files inside a folder and no access. Saw read only. Tried to change turn it off and won't let me
I took the USB hard drive and plugged it to PC, it lets me toggle off read only. I plugged it back to router and it's set to read only and can't be changed.
It's a netgear router I'm using windows 10 file explorer.
I tried to do delete the file with my phone instead of the PC and the same thing, it won't let me.
Much appreciate all the help

What model was the old router and what model is the new?

Old one was Netgear R6400, new one Netgear R9000. Not sure if it would make any difference, the old one had DD-WRT. I honestly can't remember 100% if I had an issue like this on previous setup.

I just tried another folder, I can't turn off read only, but I was able to delete some files.

Last edited:
How large is this drive? Apparently there's some sort of 4TB limit (or there was). Lots of threads on the netgear community about the read-only issue, but no solutions except to downgrade firmware, which I would do if it was working fine before and you upgraded. (Don't upgrade unless you need to fix something. Every firmware breaks something else.)

Being 8TB might be the issue. Try going back to even older firmwares like of the same era as your r6400. Obviously the code they were using back then worked.

An alternate solution is to simply use your r6400 as your 'nas' by having it on the network without the dhcp server with an IP in the range of the current lan and connected lan to lan. This way, you can even separate where the drive lives as it just needs to be with the r6400.

I had the same issue and somehow, after resetting the router and re-applying all my settings, I got it to work. I would use DD-WRT on R9000 if it is supposed or, if still not too late, replace with with a DD-WRT or OpenWRT-supported router.

I performed reset. I spent hours searching and posted on netgear forum and I'm waiting for help there, but nobody has yet come.
It seems like the folder is not "read only" I think... I thought it was because the box had a square in it. I just learned that is not the same as a check mark.? I played around with some files inside the folder and one on the left, I can NOT edit the file name and the one on the right I can. I check the properties and both are not read only. Both show full access. I might be able to plug in my old router if that thing still works. I've had this new router a whole year. I never tried to delete anything because it was just a backup drive and I just kept copying everything on it. Maybe I did delete some stuff because it is letting me delete stuff in other folders, but apparently not all files can be deleted or modified for some reason. I'm learning this now because I've reached the 8TB capacity.
permission to change.jpg

I just tried something. I took the file I can't rename. Copy, and paste inside another folder. I was able to rename and delete it. But that original file inside the folder can't be renamed or deleted.

I'm thinking of trying solution 4 on this page. https://appuals.com/fix-this-file-came-from-another-computer-and-might-be-blocked/
( Solution 4: Deleting Data Streams to get rid of Security Message
Alternatively, you can delete all the streams marked as “:Zone.Identifier:$DATA”. This will get rid of all the security blocks instantly. Whenever you download a file from the internet, they get marked with a stream identifying that they don’t belong to this computer. We can use the utility of AlternateStreamView and try deleting all the data streams. )

Could this be dangerous = damage the files so I won't be able to use them? I only keep videos and pictures inside the folder.

Back