cannot ping/remote into cloned VM's

syn3rgyz

Gawd
I cloned some VM's from one esx box to another then assigned it new IP's, the original AD image's ip was 192.168.1.51 the cloned AD image's assigned IP is 192.168.1.71
However I am unable to ping/remote into the cloned AD image. Is there something that I need to do that I missed?

Can you communicate between the ESX hosts? Between VMs on Each host?

If you cloned from one to another and the VMNetwork is not named the same between the two it won't work. Remove and then re-add the NIC to the VM and see what happens.

i cannot change the hostname of the cloned VM's because of the certificate authority or w/e

the two esx hosts cannot see each other, one is a dev box and the other is a test box.
i'll try re-adding the NIC, when you say remove and re-add do you mean going to edit settings and just unchecking the connected box for network adapter?

Last edited:
How did you clone them? Using the builtin clone feature? Or copy and paste the files? If you just copied and pasted they probably still have the same MAC address. Remove the nics, click OK. Edit settings again and add the NICs.

since the boxes can't see each other, I used Converter on a workstation that can see both test and dev. I checked the MAC addresses and they are different

When you go to edit the VM there should be a hardware list/option (I'm not in front of an ESX box now so I don't remember exactly where) where you can select the nic and remove it from the hardware of that VM, do that, restart the VM, re-add a NIC, reboot again, then see what happens. I believe all of this is done in the properties of the VM

the two esx hosts cannot see each other, one is a dev box and the other is a test box.

Also, if they cannot see each other where are you trying to Ping/RDP into those machines from? This may be a networking/routing issue instead of a VM issue...

Got a diagram on how this is all laid out?

I'm not quite sure how the network is laid out because all the data/materials in the room are sensitive and i'm on a need to know basis, took me weeks just to convince them to give me login credentials to the ESX servers.

We have a bunch of desktop workstations in the lab that are labeled dev and test. The dev ones can RDP into the VM's on the dev ESX box and the test onto the test ones. But there is one workstation that can RDP into both, and that is the one i am trying to ping/rdp from.

Sounds like a networking issue from OP's last post. I would imagine the Dev and Test machines are on different networks. That would explain why you can't RDP/ping the host when you move it to the other network. Try to find out what the dev network's subnet is and then change accordingly on the VM.

it works now, i think it was a subnet issue, all the dev VM's have the ip 192.168.10.x and all the test ones have 192.168.1.x when i cloned the images i tried to keep the .1 but i just tried .10 and it works.

One other question I have now is that since the workstation im working at can see both dev and test somehow, is it possible for the VM that i cloned onto dev from test to be able to see the test box images?

it works now, i think it was a subnet issue, all the dev VM's have the ip 192.168.10.x and all the test ones have 192.168.1.x when i cloned the images i tried to keep the .1 but i just tried .10 and it works.

One other question I have now is that since the workstation im working at can see both dev and test somehow, is it possible for the VM that i cloned onto dev from test to be able to see the test box images?

Possible - give it the same subnet mask as the workstation (255.255.240.0 or less probably).

it would be possible for both networks to see each other if the router that connects them allows that traffic to pass through. You would have to talk to your network admin.....

Back