Can the SAS to SATA cables be used both ways?

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I was wondering if this type of cable can be used to plug in 4 SATA ports on a motherboard to a SAS backplane?
StarTech Model SAS8087S4100-Newegg.com

I was thinking of getting a new case and it has 5 mini SAS connectors on the back plane so I'd be using 4 SATA ports on my motherboard.
The LSI controllers would be using mini SAS to mini SAS cables.

a new case and it has 5 mini SAS connectors on the back plane.

Your case comes with a SAS controller??? May I know which model is that case.
The SATA cable has to connect from the SAS controller to the drive and not the motherboard, no?

I was looking at a Norco 4220 case and it has 5 miniSAS connectors on the backplane.
I am going to use a pair of LSI 9261 8i controllers that have 2 mini SAS connectors on each one.
The board I have is an Intel SC2600COE
Only SATA drives will be used.

Ok, it looks like there are 2 kinds of the breakout cable, Forward, Controller to Drives, and Reverse, motherboard SATA ports to SAS Backplane.

I don't know anything about the Norco 4220. Does it comes with an internal expander? Also, most of the cables out from the LSI SAS controllers have different connectors from SAS/SATA cable, It is usually a bundle of 4 SAS cables into 1. You have to see if Norco 4220 have an input connector similar to such. I will not recommend using the enclosure just for the power and separate SATA cables from drives to the motherboard. First, your motherboard does not have enough connectors to support 20 drives and this also makes the expander useless.

Hey looking at your picture, it seems there are 4 input non standard SAS connector. Just connect them to the LSI controller and all will be fine, be it SATA or SAS.

That isn't my picture but that is the case I am looking at.

these are the controllers,
IMG_0449.JPG

and I want to use 4 of the blue SATA ports on my board for the last 4 drives,

IMG_0395.JPG

Are both the power and SAS connectors to the drive joined as a single piece of connector in that case?
Also, I did not see any "Reverse, motherboard SATA ports to SAS Backplane" connector from your picture.

I was wondering if this type of cable can be used to plug in 4 SATA ports on a motherboard to a SAS backplane?
StarTech Model SAS8087S4100-Newegg.com

I was thinking of getting a new case and it has 5 mini SAS connectors on the back plane so I'd be using 4 SATA ports on my motherboard.
The LSI controllers would be using mini SAS to mini SAS cables.

there are forward and backward SAS cables...dont you know this? I swear you were one telling me this before.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters Internal Mini-SAS to 4x SATA Reverse Breakout Cable 1.6 Feet / 0.5m: Computers & Accessories

this si motherboard SATA to SAS back plane

Ah I see what is meant by "Reverse connector"
To answer OP's question, no, don't think you can use the connector from motherboard, as most likely the power and SAS connector to drive will be joined together. Don't think its possible to plug in both power and SAS separately like in a PC tower case.

there are forward and backward SAS cables...dont you know this? I swear you were one telling me this before.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters Internal Mini-SAS to 4x SATA Reverse Breakout Cable 1.6 Feet / 0.5m: Computers & Accessories

this si motherboard SATA to SAS back plane

I had no idea till I read the link that MRFSYS posted and noticed the cable the guy used for his setup, a reverse Sata to SAS cable.
I am guessing the wires are wired slightly different in a Reverse Cable, visually, they probably look the same.

I am really really new to this enterprise stuff, got my server only 3 weeks ago and that was the first time I ever played with that kind of stuff. I've built hundreds of normal computers over the past 21 years.

Ah I see what is meant by "Reverse connector"
To answer OP's question, no, don't think you can use the connector from motherboard, as most likely the power and SAS connector to drive will be joined together. Don't think its possible to plug in both power and SAS separately like in a PC tower case.
The Backplane uses a SAS connector on one side for data and Molex connectors on the other side for power.

I had no idea till I read the link that MRFSYS posted and noticed the cable the guy used for his setup, a reverse Sata to SAS cable.
I am guessing the wires are wired slightly different in a Reverse Cable, visually, they probably look the same.

The Backplane uses a SAS connector on one side for data and Molex connectors on the other side for power.
yep buy that cable i showed you and you are set! I did that so my Norco 4224 has OS drive in Bay 1 :D

Last edited:
If I get that Norco 4220, then I'll get that cable, that will allow me to use the last 4 bays running off of the motherboard.
I still need to acquire a few more drives, was thinking of a RAID 60 array with a bunch of 2TB drives.

Back