Can smoke from burned Pot can harm pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello. Today my mother burned pot with food in kitchen. And there was a lot smoke in kitchen. My room near kitchen. When i enter to my room i smeeled only that smoke. Can that harm pc or i am too much paranoid?

Hello. Today my mother burned pot with food in kitchen. And there was a lot smoke in kitchen. My room near kitchen. When i enter to my room i smeeled only that smoke. Can that harm pc or i am too much paranoid?

That's a really open-ended question. It really depends on what is in the smoke, and how much smoke we are talking about. If the smoke has a lot of oil or tar in it, then it can end up combining with dust to form a nasty sticky layer on everything inside your PC that isn't nearly as easy to clean as dust is on it's own. I see this often when I work on computers owned by chain cigarette smokers who smoke at their desk all day long. I've had a similar experience with computers that were located near a kitchen, where the inside of the computer actually smelled like cooking oil. But this wasn't due to a one-time kitchen fire, it was due to the normal steam, etc that came from cooking in the kitchen every day. Exposure to smoke from one single event is probably not going to have a huge impact. It's really cumulative exposure over time that will become problematic.

That's a really open-ended question. It really depends on what is in the smoke, and how much smoke we are talking about. If the smoke has a lot of tar in it, then it can end up combining with dust to form a nasty sticky layer on everything inside your PC that isn't nearly as easy to clean as dust on it's own is. I see this often when I work on computers owned by chain cigarette smokers who smoke at their desk all day long. I've had a similar experience with computers that were located near a kitchen, where the inside of the computer actually smelled like cooking oil. But this wasn't due to a one-time kitchen fire, it was due to the normal steam, etc that came from cooking in the kitchen every day. Exposure to smoke from one single event is probably not going to have a huge impact. It's really cumulative exposure over time that will become problematic.
she burnt food in a pot, has nothing to do with smoking and is just another useless post....

But can it harm electronic i mean stability?I dont know if smoke enter to room but i was only smelled that. Maybe it was only smell?

But can it harm electronic i mean stability?I dont know if smoke enter to room but i was only smelled that. Maybe it was only smell?

Smoke is just air filled with microscopic particles. What matters are the particles. What kind, how many, and how often are your electronics exposed?

If cooking oil was used, a fair amount of that does carry in the smoke. One time exposure is still unlikely to be a big deal but if your computer is that close to the kitchen, then I'm guessing it's getting a lot more "exposure" to smoke and other particles than just from this one incident. Just think about the layer of nasty grease you get on everything in your kitchen when you regularly cook using cooking oil. That's getting in your computer also if your computer is right next to the kitchen.

Pot was burned and there was smoke in kitchen. I dont know if smoke enter to my room but i only smelled that. Someone said that this can cause shorts in electronics?

I doubt the pot was burned. It was probably just the food inside of the pot that burned.

Someone said that this can cause shorts in electronics?

Most smoke residue is not going to be conductive. The computers I cleaned out that had large amounts of smoke exposure didn't stop working because of electronic shorts, rather, they typically began overheating because of all the layers of smoke/tar/dust that had blocked air flow on the heatsinks, etc. Smoke makes the dust stick together better and blocks more air.

Free rings, curtesy of dust and smoke tar:
Geforce blower fan:
dustring.jpg
120mm fan:
120mmdust.jpg

Last edited:
Pot was burned and there was smoke in kitchen. I dont know if smoke enter to my room but i only smelled that. Room is 6-7 meters from kitchen.This can be harmful to electronics or i am too much paranoid?

Use the microwave next time. They are safer for GPUs and such

But what if iy was that smoke enter to my room?Nothing happen with electronics?

I really like you guys i dont wanna trolling or something. I am just i think really paranoid. Sorry for creating and asking like that. I dont wanna ban. I can stop but worrying too much about small things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back