Can dimmer projector bulbs mean better black levels?

xykreilon

Weaksauce
Hi. I have read that the Optoma UHD38 does not have the best black levels due to its bright bulb. But, I haven't seen it pitted against its UDH35 sibling, there.

Could the dimmer bulb of the UHD35 mean better black levels than the brighter UHD38?

Last edited:
Just found this: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/op...-the-actual-difference.3190605/#post-60647510

Apparently, the UHD38's bulb isn't brighter than the UHD35, the UHD38 just has more white in its color wheel.

Still, would be nice if someone with more expertise could chime in.
The black level will go down but the contrast will basically stay the same. You can run the bulb in eco, or put an ND2 filter on it, or use a grey screen. All of these will make black darker, but also your brightness is darker as well.

If you are concerned with black levels, i would run as fast as possible from these fake 4k XPR projectors. Ones that have a white color wheel segment will be even worse. You could buy the cheapest 85inch 4k LCD on the market and it will be light years better.

The black level will go down but the contrast will basically stay the same. You can run the bulb in eco, or put an ND2 filter on it, or use a grey screen. All of these will make black darker, but also your brightness is darker as well.

If you are concerned with black levels, i would run as fast as possible from these fake 4k XPR projectors. Ones that have a white color wheel segment will be even worse. You could buy the cheapest 85inch 4k LCD on the market and it will be light years better.
Ah, ok. I'm glad there are at least some mitigations. I tend to turn the brightness way down unless I'm watching some really fancy flic, anyway.

Yes, you're right that black levels of projectors in this price range will hardly compare to even most budget IPS screens, let alone VA or OLED. I just like the nicer eye comfort of reflected light vs direct light. I previously had no interest in modern projectors due to their high input lag. But, the 4.2ms of the UHD35 and 38 is more than tolerable. I would pay more for a higher contrast projector if I found one that had remotely as little lag. Plus, at the prices of the higher end ones, I might as well get a Sony VPH-G90U. :)

Last edited:
I gave up on PJs due to low contrast and inability to do HDR justice.

Ah, ok. I'm glad there are at least some mitigations. I tend to turn the brightness way down unless I'm watching some really fancy flic, anyway.

Yes, you're right that black levels of projectors in this price range will hardly compare to even most budget IPS screens, let alone VA or OLED. I just like the nicer eye comfort of reflected light vs direct light. I previously had no interest in modern projectors due to their high input lag. But, the 4.6ms of the UHD35 and 38 is more than tolerable. I would pay more for a higher contrast projector, but haven't found any that have remotely as little lag. Plus, at the prices of the higher end ones, I might as well get a Sony VPH-G90U. :)
I know a guy that gave away his g90 in Dallas. its Sad projectors have gotten worse in the last 20 years.

I'm a long time projector owner and I have never, and will never, nit pick over technical details. Absolutely nothing draws you into the story like a 120" and larger screen. Even the largest reasonably priced TV can't compare. It's all about the viewing experience to me, not the technical details. My current projector is a Epson HC 3800. Image size is 120". Viewing distance is about 10 feet. Some horderves, brew and a good movie or documentary makes me a happy camper. :)

I'm a long time projector owner and I have never, and will never, nit pick over technical details. Absolutely nothing draws you into the story like a 120" and larger screen. Even the largest reasonably priced TV can't compare. It's all about the viewing experience to me, not the technical details. My current projector is a Epson HC 3800. Image size is 120". Viewing distance is about 10 feet. Some horderves, brew and a good movie or documentary makes me a happy camper. :)

This!

Back