Buzzing, and popping, and stuttering, oh my!

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, just thought I'd put this out there into the sphere of your influence.

Recently while watching a Blu-ray movie, I noticed the audio would intermittently buzz and pop (maybe every five seconds or so) while the movie played. We have a cheap little speaker setup with a floor sub, and I thought maybe that was just getting too old.

But then I fired up Just Cause 2, and the same thing was happening: buzzing (in the audio), stuttering (in the video), even tho the frames were staying well above 50. Any ideas?

Do you have any headphones you could try? That can somewhat narrow it down to either the motherboard or the speakers.

Hey guys, just thought I'd put this out there into the sphere of your influence.

Recently while watching a Blu-ray movie, I noticed the audio would intermittently buzz and pop (maybe every five seconds or so) while the movie played. We have a cheap little speaker setup with a floor sub, and I thought maybe that was just getting too old.

But then I fired up Just Cause 2, and the same thing was happening: buzzing (in the audio), stuttering (in the video), even tho the frames were staying well above 50. Any ideas?

Heat? Problems reading the disc? Bad HDMI cable?

@ Iron Eagle, if he's also getting video stuttering, there's nothing I know of that the speakers can do to possibly cause that.

Is this a HTPC? Are you using your HD5850 for audio over HDMI?

Thanks, everyone. The PC is not really a HTPC, but I do have a few gigs of Blu-ray movies, etc. The speakers are hooked up through the motherboard, onboard audio. Temps don't seem to be out of the ordinary. I do have some headphones I'll try.

Thanks, everyone. The PC is not really a HTPC, but I do have a few gigs of Blu-ray movies, etc. The speakers are hooked up through the motherboard, onboard audio. Temps don't seem to be out of the ordinary. I do have some headphones I'll try.

Does the stuttering and audio popping happen together at the same time? Or independent of each other.

I was getting audio pops with Optical out on my HTPC with a Soundigo soundcard. I moved to HDMI audio and haven't heard a pop since.

Does the stuttering and audio popping happen together at the same time? Or independent of each other.
1) A few new developments. First of all, I didn't notice any video stuttering while watching movies. Just the audio popping and buzzing. But while playing JC2, I began to notice the stuttering. And the two were together.

2) The headphones worked just fine for both game and Blu-ray. Weird.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not that familiar with audio ports. I know it's not HDMI. It is a little pin like an RCA cable, but I don't know what Optical cable looks like.

Hmm, I'm not that familiar with audio ports. I know it's not HDMI. It is a little pin like an RCA cable, but I don't know what Optical cable looks like.

Plugs in a small 1/8" square port, looks like a little penis with Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer's glow from the end when plugged into 1 end.

Plugs in a small 1/8" square port, looks like a little penis with Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer's glow from the end when plugged into 1 end.

LOL, that's certainly an original description.

TheQuestian: there is a pic of the audio ports on your board near the middle of this page. Which one are you plugged into?

Haha! Well, I guess it's not an optical cable. It's plugged into the small, green round port. I guess it's an RCA connection. Heh, funny, when I mouse over the text in my last post, it shows an image of an optical cable. :p

Back