Burn-In Checklist?

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks to everyone here for helping me put together my sig rig over the past month or two. Another [H] child is born. :D

I just received my DVD drive, which my stepdaughter and I will be installing tomorrow, and at that point it will be time for Spaceman Spiff's maiden voyage. Now, I guess I have been knocking around these boards long enough to have heard about Prime95, but I wouldn't know the first thing about running it. I thought I might run this by everyone, and see (a) what type of software is typically used to stress test, and (b) what kind of checklists you typically run down when running a PC for the first time. If it's as simple as posting a link to some other thread, I would be very grateful (and apologetic).

Update!

So, I've been running this new system for a few months, and it occurred to me that I never satisfied the [H] etiquette of posting a few pics. I actually blogged the build so my friends and family could follow along, but there are plenty of pics if you want to skip the talking. Also, you can scroll to the bottom to just see the completed build. Thanks again to the [H] for all the help with my first of many! :D

Mini P180 Build Log

Last edited:
There's really no need to "Burn-in" a CPU/Computer. You can run Prime95/Memtest/FurMark/HD Tune/etc if you want to, but there's no real need to unless you're experiencing some problems or you plan on OC'ing.

Personally, I run memtest overnight, while the system is still in a barebone benchtest setup. When I get back to the system, I'd kick off the unattended OS installation. The next time I get back to the system, I'd install all the parts into the case and do some cablegami. Once the system is built, that night, I'd run Prime95 overnight, then FurMark. Once all that is done, and nothing overheats and no other problems, then I'd start OC'ing, typically on the weekend. Yah, I take my time with builds, lol. If I have to, I can be much quicker, but ideally, I take my time. I'd usually order parts over the weekend, get parts early in the week, start the build on a thursday, and finish by sunday.

Check the stickied FAQ. Should be several links there on what to do after your PC is built. Probably the MechBegon link.

Awesome. Thanks!

Yeah, the MSI board has an OC Genie feature, so I was considering giving it a shot.

Not sure if the OC Genie is any good, but generally speaking, any auto OC'ing tools provided by the board manufacturer usually suck, though, there have been a few exceptions.

Not sure if the OC Genie is any good, but generally speaking, any auto OC'ing tools provided by the board manufacturer usually suck, though, there have been a few exceptions.
[H] and PC Perspective both reviewed the OC Genie feature on this board (actually the ATX version of the same board). In both cases, they reached around 3.5GHz, and they both seemed to be pretty impressed. Should be plenty for me, I think.

Cool. Personally, I just prefer doing it manually, so I know every setting is what it should be.

Cool. Personally, I just prefer doing it manually, so I know every setting is what it should be.
Yeah, I would love to try that, too. I am just a noob, so I am taking a conservative approach, I guess. Maybe for my second build . . . :p

Yup... OC'ing is what caused me to build my Celeron 300A system. :p

Alright, you guys have got me motivated. :cool:

I have read pages and pages about overclocking, and they have basically made sense at the time of reading, but I have always ended up feeling like, "Uh, so now what?" I just never feel ready to do it. I guess I'll keep reading these things until I figure out what I'm doing. :D

Last edited:
So I have hit my first setback. :(

I was testing how far I could get my base clock (stock voltage), running Core Temp and Prime95 for about 5 minutes after each boot. I had it up to 200MHz, so I decided I didn't want to go any further. I ran a real Prime95 session, letting it go for as long as it would last. It lasted about 20 minutes, and the system powered down.

When I try to power it on, it spins up, but won't boot. I have tried clearing the CMOS (for about 5 minutes), but nothing. I read about one guy who had to clear his CMOS for two hours before his system would boot, so I am currently trying that.

Anybody got any ideas?

Hmmm, that shouldn't have happened.

Try following the steps listed in the "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" on what to do when your system doesn't POST.

Try following the steps listed in the "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" on what to do when your system doesn't POST.
Thanks, I am working through it. Left the CMOS jumpers set to clear overnight. No change. I have removed the battery, now, and will try again in ten minutes or so.

Heh, this stinks. After looking over the Troubleshooting thread, I have tried a barebones setup (with video card, since the board has no video), I have tried 1 stick and no sticks of RAM. I have checked connections, and I have tried clearing the CMOS (left it overnight). Still the same. The system starts perfectly for one second and then powers down. No time for beeps or errors, just on and then off. I know that the CPU probably needs more voltage, but could that be the cause?

Sigh, could I have really damaged something at stock voltage and at 70-degree temperatures? I can't help feeling like I am missing something dumb. I suppose I am going to have to "un-cable-manage" this whole thing and start from scratch. :(

Last edited:
... Sigh, could I have really damaged something at stock voltage and at 70-degree temperatures? I can't help feeling like I am missing something dumb. I suppose I am going to have to "un-cable-manage" this whole thing and start from scratch. :(

No, not at stock voltage and 70°C. I mean, anything is possible, but its highly unlikely. The one second then off sounds like it could be a short or a PSU problem. Try taking it out of the case and try another PSU if you have one.

Don't worry, yes, we tried on our first builds, but it doesn't always go smooth. In fact, it never went smooth for me until Core2, lol. This is why I always OC during the barebone benchtest phase, if OC'ing at all (and yes, I retest after its all in the case and closed up). It's a learning process. You stayed with stock voltages and low temps, so your parts should be fine.

Thanks, that does help. I don't know much about shorts, tho. What causes a short? Is it fixable? And if it is a PSU problem, would I be able to *shudder* RMA it, or is it considered user error?

Some common causes of short circuits in computers are:
- loose screw
- bare wire
- improper use of a mobo standoff
- some random piece of metal in contact with some random component

If its a PSU problem, you should be able to RMA it.

Does the system give any POST error beeps without RAM/Vidcard installed?

Cool. Yeah, so I ripped all the computer guts back out, and hooked up only the mobo, CPU, RAM, and a case fan. Same exact result. Looks like the PSU failed, huh? The mobo LED's all came on immediately, and then turned off, and the fan spun up, so the mobo is probably not the culprit, right? I am thinking there was not enough power/time for error beeps.

I guess I will *shudder* RMA the PSU (got it from Newegg), and get a replacement at my neighborhood MC. Does this sound like the right gameplan?

So the rep at MC seemed to think it was probably a dead motherboard AND processor. I got a new motherboard. Now I can get to the motherboard splash screen, and then the BIOS says something about IDE MODE. Then it powers down.

ide mode? pic?
Heh, it's only on the screen for a half a second. I can't even read it. It asks some question about SATA and IDE, and then turns off. Does this mean it may be a professor issue, too? The two people I spoke to seemed to think it was nearly impossibly that the TP-750 had failed.

Newegg doesn't RMA processors, tho, right?

They do, 30-days only, though, IIRC. You can RMA with Intel, though, if its past 30 days. PSUs are more likely to fail than CPUs, in my experience. In your case, its a toss up, I guess. No other PSU to try? Try clearing CMOS?

Processor Limited Replacement Only 30-Day Return Policy

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Replacement Only 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same or equivalent item. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

The following conditions are not acceptable for return, and will result in the merchandise being returned to you:

* Any CPU that is physically damaged
* Improper installation of CPU fans and/or improper clocking may cause CPUs to chip. CPUs that are chipped, burnt or have bent/broken pins are considered physically damaged and cannot be returned for refund or replacement. Physical damage includes (but is not limited to) improper handling and any other type of damage sustained by irregular use.

Was MC out of i5 750's? Just wondering why you bought the CPU from the egg instead of MC.

Last edited:
Completely baffled, guys.

Synopsis:
- Built system, ran fine.
- Bad hard drive, RMA'd.
- New hard drive, great.
- Tried to overclock (stock voltage, 200MHz), died during P95.

Result: Powered on for 1 second, and then died. Every time.

- Replaced the motherboard

Result: Booted into BIOS, lasted two or three seconds, died.

- Replaced the CPU

Result: No change.

- Replaced the PSU with a Corsair 650HX

Result: Will not power on at all; power LED flashes on, then immediately off.

Very saddening. Great first overclocking story, though, eh? Really, tho, what is going on? Beginning to lose hope. :(

so you tried it all in a barebones setup with only one stick of RAM outside of the case, right? Do you get error beeps without RAM/vidcard? If so, does it stay on longer than 3 seconds?

UPDATE: Thanks everyone! Back up and running.

It turns out that I did (sort of) have multiple issues happening at once. I took my computer to the Rockville MC to have them perform a diagnostic. The tech didn't even let me get out the door, before it was posting again. He had disconnected the front panel USB connectors. Apparently, they were an unusal breed of connector, an very narrow plug that only has 5-pins. I had them plugged in to the wrong row of pins on the motherboard.

Of course, this only became the issue after I swapped motherboards, as the MSI board never had this issue. So, here's the synopsis:

Ran Prime95 at 200MHz base clock, and my system failed.
Ran a barebones setup, but no change.
Replaced motherboard (but DID NOT run a barebones setup).
Replaced processor, no change.
Replaced PSU, no change.
Finally found out that front panel USB's were improperly connected.

According to the tech, I probably swapped out the evil component and didn't even know it, due to my dumb wiring. So, you could say I still don't know what originally happened, but I suspect it was a heaping helping of fried motherboard.

Last edited:
Oops!

So, I've been running this new system for a few months, and it occurred to me that I never satisfied the [H] etiquette of posting a few pics. I actually blogged the build so my friends and family could follow along, but there are plenty of pics if you want to skip the talking. Also, you can scroll to the bottom to just see the completed build. Thanks again to the [H] for all the help with my first of many! :D

Mini P180 Build Log

hehe, cute. thanks for the pics! i was actually wondering if you ever got your problem fixed the other day, so i actually went digging for your troubleshooting threads since i didn't remember if you worked it all out or not. :p

Hehe, cute. Thanks for the pics! I was wondering if you ever got your problem fixed the other day, so I actually went digging for your troubleshooting threads since I didn't remember if you worked it all out or not. :p
Heh, that's very cool of you! Ended up posting this in a separate thread since it made no sense in here, and there's a Special Thanks section there with your name on it. I realized when I went searching for people to thank that you were the first person to ever respond to my first [H] posting. Ah, memories! :D

Back