Build Suggestions (RTX 3060)

Mizzle612

n00b
New to PC gaming, want to build my first pc, and just recently purchased an EVGA RTX 3060. Looking for some advice on the rest of the parts to complete this build. With high prices and limited stock I was waiting to obtain a GPU first so I don't have any other parts yet. Got one quicker than I expected so now I could use some advice on what parts I should be considering, ensuring they are compatible, etc. Any advice is appreciated and thanks for the help.

What's your budget? Do you intend to bring over any parts from an old PC? Any intended use other than gaming? What games? Do you need WiFi or is ethernet sufficient?

Also, maybe take some time and peruse past threads on builds for some ideas. We can't do all the work for you.

the 3060 xc you forgot to mention... :)
750w psu
16GB ddr 4 4000 or 4800
5600x or 12400
b550m or b660m
edit: forgot a drive of your choice
mid-tower
dual tower cooler or 280 aio

go on newegg, find what fits your budget using their search, then look for the best price elsewhere.
if you want an aio: https://hardforum.com/threads/bunch-of-240-280-360-aio-deals-60-90.2017272/

Last edited:
What's your budget? Do you intend to bring over any parts from an old PC? Any intended use other than gaming? What games? Do you need WiFi or is ethernet sufficient?

Also, maybe take some time and peruse past threads on builds for some ideas. We can't do all the work for you.
Hey thanks for the reply.

No budget set but I'm trying to stay on the low/moderate end for this one. I will not bring over any parts from an old PC. I play games like Tarkov, New World, and various cheaper games on Steam (enjoy trying random pc games having recently come over from console). Not concerned with 4k, just would like 60fps at 1080 for most games. Other than gaming, just general home use for browsing, using MS office, etc. No wifi, it will be wired.

I have been browsing websites, forums, and youtube a bit over the past month but in the end while I can spit out some model numbers and parts, ultimately I don't know enough about spec/details and what the difference is between them. I'm sure there are many kinds of caveats and nuances in building that I won't learn quickly enough to know on this first build. That said though, hears some random parts I've seen and noted for unknown reasons as possible parts. Would any of these be a good fit and something to work with for my build:

- I5 12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (8gb x 2) 3600MHz (Perhaps I could get cheaper as I don't care to have RGB)
- Samsung 980 SSD 1TB -or- WD Black 1TB SN750
- Power Supply - Bronze vs Gold? How many watts do I need?
- MOBO, not a clue! I think cpu and memory may not work if you get the wrong mobo though, right?
- Case - Just plain, not concerned with looks just functional. NZXT H510 good enough for this build? (Would like mid-tower though)

Maybe that's a start...and shows how much I don't know! haha

Are you a US shopper with a Micro Center anywhere nearby? I believe they still have a $50 "first time customer" (aka unique phone number) on the 5600X, on top of it's already low price.
*Edit* Yup, still available. $50 off $210 is an absolute steal, + another $20 off a mobo combo (even open box ones if I remember right)

I'm hoping to buy a 3060 - and towards a build....should I create a separate thread?

New to PC gaming, want to build my first pc, and just recently purchased an EVGA RTX 3060. Looking for some advice on the rest of the parts to complete this build. With high prices and limited stock I was waiting to obtain a GPU first so I don't have any other parts yet. Got one quicker than I expected so now I could use some advice on what parts I should be considering, ensuring they are compatible, etc. Any advice is appreciated and thanks for the help.
I'm doing this, too. I am looking at Alder Lake parts - the worst thing about ADL is the motherboard -(cuz of the $!) I think Ryzen processors are going down in price recently - depending on your market. I was originally going to choose Ryzen but then my plans got derailed and I couldn't invest in a build. Now, I might be able to - and I am looking at Alder Lake as a slightly better price/performance option. I also plan doing video editing and it's supposedly better for that.

If you don't plan on upgrading for a while and will probably keep your computer for several years - I suggest on getting the best cpu you can afford. Also, at least 3200mhz/32gb of memory. Just my two cents.

Are you a US shopper with a Micro Center anywhere nearby? I believe they still have a $50 "first time customer" (aka unique phone number) on the 5600X, on top of it's already low price.
*Edit* Yup, still available. $50 off $210 is an absolute steal, + another $20 off a mobo combo (even open box ones if I remember right)
Yes, US shopper and I do have a Micro Center in my state. Never knew it though so I have never shopped there and could benefit from that $50 discount. Is this only in store?

I have been researching the past couple days and had a good idea on all parts for my build going with the I5 but perhaps I should consider and research pricing for a build with an AMD before I pull the trigger. Literally have the i5 in my cart and was about to purchase it as some sites are going out of stock but I just popped on here first. Is this 5600X as good as or better than the i5-12400? Do they have decent motherboards for it that aren't too expensive?

Off I go again, down that rabbit hole of researching reviews and videos online! Hahah

Yes, US shopper and I do have a Micro Center in my state. Never knew it though so I have never shopped there and could benefit from that $50 discount. Is this only in store?

I have been researching the past couple days and had a good idea on all parts for my build going with the I5 but perhaps I should consider and research pricing for a build with an AMD before I pull the trigger. Literally have the i5 in my cart and was about to purchase it as some sites are going out of stock but I just popped on here first. Is this 5600X as good as or better than the i5-12400? Do they have decent motherboards for it that aren't too expensive?

Off I go again, down that rabbit hole of researching reviews and videos online! Hahah
I'll be honest, I have zero personal experience with Intel 12th gen. MC has the 12400 for $170. Against a $160 5600x I think the 5600x is the better CPU paired with a good b550 motherboard.

Maybe someone with Intel 12th gen experience can chime in though.

Coupon link:
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/specialoffercpu.aspx

Hey, I just bought an EVGA 3060 XC. :)

As to your question, this video might be interesting and help guide you?:

With an I5-12400, you probably want to look at B660 motherboards? Compare them to B550/5600X on the AMD side?

With an I5-12400, you probably want to look at B660 motherboards? Compare them to B550/5600X on the AMD side?
yes, b660 and thats the appropriate comparison. pretty close in most things, compiling chromium was the only massive difference in that vid.

yes, b660 and thats the appropriate comparison. pretty close in most things, compiling chromium was the only massive difference in that vid.
Thanks for the followup. It's always good to know your 'two cents advice' was at least, satisfactory. :) He asked for LGA1700 (here, b660) board recommendations also - I would suggest the MSI B660m mortar (ax) or Gigabyte B660m aorus ax - no reason for matx except for a cheaper price and they had decent vrm, AFAIK. I haven't followed B550 boards for a while but I don't think the line-up changed much? I tended to like the MSI B550 lineup - particularly, the revised 'Max' versions. Not all of them have wifi, though - dunno if the OP needs/wants that.

Okay, so I ordered the 12400F for $169 last night. On to the mobo.

Originally considered Gigabyte DS3H for $120 but now leaning MSI Pro for $140 after some research. As for the MSI mortar and Gigabyte aorus - any reason I should consider them for my build or no need to pay the extra $40 as I'm seeing them for about $180. Oh, and no need or desire to have wifi.

Okay, so I ordered the 12400F for $169 last night. On to the mobo.

Originally considered Gigabyte DS3H for $120 but now leaning MSI Pro for $140 after some research. As for the MSI mortar and Gigabyte aorus - any reason I should consider them for my build or no need to pay the extra $40 as I'm seeing them for about $180. Oh, and no need or desire to have wifi.
I'd go with the MSI B660M-A with that cpu.

Back