Build myself or use a system builder?

Dirtytape

n00b
I found a thread where this was discussed 4 months ago so I'm posting a new one. My bad if there is a more current thread out there.

Right now I game on a MSI laptop I bought in 2017. I want to build a desktop again. I only got the laptop because I was traveling a lot for work but that is no longer the case.

I don't have a budget for this and am willing to go upwards of 3.5k to 4k for a new build.
I want to build it myself and choose the parts but I fear that may be impossible due to parts shortages. Would going with a system builder like Xidax or Origin PC be the best route? Also, what are your thoughts on a good company to go through?

building is hard right now due to all the shortages and over charging. you can get someone to build something pretty damn good for that cash though. origin is supposed to be good, not sure about the other one. hell, even getting a dell will get you current hardware no one else seems to have in stock....

building is hard right now due to all the shortages and over charging. you can get someone to build something pretty damn good for that cash though. origin is supposed to be good, not sure about the other one. hell, even getting a dell will get you current hardware no one else seems to have in stock....
Yea but I won't buy dell. They typically skimp on stuff. Sure it has a 3080 and top end cpu but what about the mobo, ram and psu? What vendors are they using for those? That's the stuff I care about. If I'm spending $3,000 usd on a new computer, I don't want it filled with cheap off brand stuff that has questionable QC standards and reliability. Also, dell's customer support is extremely lacking.

A buddy or mine has a recent CyberPower PC. It's pretty good - not much different then a custom built system. They use off the shelf parts, unlike Dell/HP who most often have custom mobos and CPU cooling, so upgrading in the future will be same as any custom PC. The case was decent, too, current with the times. I'd say it comes down to whether you want to wait for a pre-built or can get the GPU yourself and put it together right now.
Don't know about others, this is just what I have recent experience with.

build yourself of course.....yea certain video cards are hard to come by but thats about it

Once you build for yourself, you'll never go back...
I've been building since I was 14 and I'm 35 now. The only times I haven't built was during my service in the Navy. I had 2 gaming laptops throughout the 8 years I served and built a desktop the summer of 2013 before I got out that November.
I started working for a company doing electrical installs and repair on fire alarm systems. We traveled all over the state and I wanted to have a laptop for gaming at the hotel room. So I got one.
Now I want a desktop again because I'm in IT now and I don't travel for work anymore.

If you have the experience, I would say build for your self. Yes, video cards are hard to come by, but you can build to your taste. Personally, I like a full ATX case and I have certain preferences on how things are laid out. You will likely be limited if you go pre-built.

Certainly I suggest building yourself if parts can be had. That is the kicker at this particular time in history. Otherwise, have always been impressed with:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/desktop.php

Not sure they are the best or cheapest but their website is full of information and gives some nice specs for searching out your own parts. Considered them on my first build but found a local shop that did it. After that have put together my own systems for the last 15 or so years.

Just received an email from EK regarding the Conquest 295 system I linked to.

They are more than willing to replace the mobo with the Dark Hero so I will likely be calliing today to order.

It beats playing whack-a-mole for availability for the Video card, CPU, and mobo for months on end...and I don't have to use my shitty, left-over TT fittings and block/pump.

Just received an email from EK regarding the Conquest 295 system I linked to.

They are more than willing to replace the mobo with the Dark Hero so I will likely be calliing today to order.

It beats playing whack-a-mole for availability for the Video card, CPU, and mobo for months on end...and I don't have to use my shitty, left-over TT fittings and block/pump.
Did you ever get this system?

Back