Build Help: 790/690 on 13900k or AM5?

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
Had a past thread as I had continued staying on my 'aging' 5930k / Asus Rampage V Extreme. Goal is for this new setup to last another 5 years hopefully. I like to get the best out there to keep some level of future proofing.

Clearly, I was wrong thinking a 4090 would be utilized well in this platform lol (thanks!). Now, I'm on the fun road of upgrading. I'm stuck between a 13900K on a 690 or 790 platform vs the new AMD Chip on the AM5 platform. I'd like to stay below 1k if I can, but can flex to $1,500 for RAM / CPU / Mem. Would like to leave space for 2 M.2 drives to replace my SATA.

Few things / current build:

1. I will be Air Cooling and currently use a Silver Arrow IBE, would love options if I can use this or if there is a better upgrade.

2. I will NOT be upgrading my memory so really need a solid performer that can deal with a CPU O/C

3. I would like to be able to keep all 8 of my Hard drives if I can find 8 SATA ports or have the ability to drop in a card for it.

Here is my case to get an idea of why I want to keep the Air Cooling Vibe

Current Build I'm coming from :

Case: Lian Li PC-70 modded 10+fans MOBO: ASUS Rampage V x99 / 5930K @4.4ghz w/ SA IBE

RAM: 32gb Crucial Ballistix Sport GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW3 PSU: G2 1300

Monitor: LG 55GX 4k/120hz / Creative Sonic Carrier / AKG 65 Annie + Modmic

HD: Samsung 850 Pro 4x2TB, 3WD Red Pro 10tb, 1 Seagate Barracuda 10TB, 1 WD Hold 18tb

Questions:
- EVGA has the 690 classified for $329 and seems to good to be true and has 8 SATA slots and the Kingpin for 529. Price seems great but I've only used EVGA for GPU'S are they good? A friend said 690 would really fit my needs and to splurge on the chip instead.

Would this work? What other options would you consider? I really want to maximize my 4090 and set a minor overclock and set - forget about it. I don't like tinkering with my boards too long. I like overclocking in the begining to see what I can push, then downclock down until I need the boost.

- AM5: reading about people with compatibility issues. Anyone else having any? I like boards the ASUS extreme but it's 1k. Weird 1k is what gets you more SATA ports. I personally love all of the features these AMD boards have over intel.

- M.2 anyone use Sabrent had considered their 8tb but it's pricey and outse over budget but with the the EVGA 690 classified / 13900k I might be able to squeeze it but I don't want to jeapordize the build for an M.2 drive.

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up on that Z690 Classified. Looks very interesting for the price. I have two concerns there - EATX versus ATX. I believe it's not an issue for my case, but I was looking to take a 9900KS/ATX build (Z390 Aorus Master) and move it to a modern platform. 2nd would be - BIOS update and if you can boot with a 13xxx CPU? I am an AMD house (5800X3D in two rigs, and one 7950X rig) so no Intel CPUs laying around.

RE: AM5 - the stuff out there gives me pause, as well. I'd like to get the new Crosshair Hero or Crosshair Extreme boards (even though they're $$$ - but my Micro Center has an open box Extreme for $750) but the stuff out there on them is terrible. My X670E Gene has been awesome. And frankly I do not need the full ATX size. So may just go that route if I go AM5 for this conversion.

But yeah - that Z690 Classified plus a 13600K looks like a mighty rig for cheap!

. 2nd would be - BIOS update and if you can boot with a 13xxx CPU? I am an AMD house (5800X3D in two rigs, and one 7950X rig) so no Intel CPUs laying around.
I heard the EVGA boards can bios update via USB. But the 690 seems to have issues I'm reading with the 13900 / 4090 FE series. Just seems random though. So 790 is more $ but more stable? To me it seems they are almost identical boards at half the price....
RE: AM5 - the stuff out there gives me pause, as well. I'd like to get the new Crosshair Hero or Crosshair Extreme boards (even though they're $$$ - but my Micro Center has an open box Extreme for $750) but the stuff out there on them is terrible.....

But yeah - that Z690 Classified plus a 13600K looks like a mighty rig for cheap!
I really like that MSI God and Asus extreme are their bad reports? I'm going to plop the 4090 FE I got in the meantime as I wait for more input. I'm getting pumped about this build. Just am still shocked the extreme boards are 1k when 5/6 years ago they were half the price, ya know? So want to ensure I'm reading the right reports.

I heard the EVGA boards can bios update via USB. But the 690 seems to have issues I'm reading with the 13900 / 4090 FE series. Just seems random though. So 790 is more $ but more stable? To me it seems they are almost identical boards at half the price....

I really like that MSI God and Asus extreme are their bad reports? I'm going to plop the 4090 FE I got in the meantime as I wait for more input. I'm getting pumped about this build. Just am still shocked the extreme boards are 1k when 5/6 years ago they were half the price, ya know? So want to ensure I'm reading the right reports.
Yeah if you search those boards and reddit or look on Micro Center's user reviews there are a lot of complaints. I am sure half of it is people paid a boat load for these boards so they want them to be perfect. The same is not out there as much for the X670E Gene. But maybe people aren't as crazy as I am going for that board. Haha.

Z790 doesn't seem to buy you much. I will say that Z790 Dark Kingpin looks siiiick. If that were in stock it would be tough for me to resist.

Yeah if you search those boards and reddit or look on Micro Center's user reviews there are a lot of complaints. I am sure half of it is people paid a boat load for these boards so they want them to be perfect. The same is not out there as much for the X670E Gene. But maybe people aren't as crazy as I am going for that board. Haha.

Z790 doesn't seem to buy you much. I will say that Z790 Dark Kingpin looks siiiick. If that were in stock it would be tough for me to resist.
What about the board wheels you in? I figure I could add in a board for more SATA Ports.

Trying to figure if more lanes on 790 allows me to add in more SATA. The price of the EVGA looks good and the Kingpin line seems to be on par with the Extreme line from Asus

What about the board wheels you in? I figure I could add in a board for more SATA Ports.

Trying to figure if more lanes on 790 allows me to add in more SATA. The price of the EVGA looks good and the Kingpin line seems to be on par with the Extreme line from Asus
To be honest - the visual/marketing aspect, I guess, lol. Just looks awesome.

I ended up getting an open box ASRock X670E Taichi at Micro Center for $324.96. Paired it with a 7700X with 32GB of CL 36 / 6000 MHz DDR5 for $343.99. Board was still zip tied down and looks new!

2. I will NOT be upgrading my memory so really need a solid performer that can deal with a CPU O/C

You won't be going AM5 then, as it's DDR5 only. Or were you just saying that you are sticking with 32GB memory?

You won't be going AM5 then, as it's DDR5 only. Or were you just saying that you are sticking with 32GB memory?
Didn't mean to confuse, I meant more if 2 sticks gives me the best performance I would either get 2 16GB or 2 32GB.

Motherboard wise I really would like to have at least 6 SATA or 8 if possible so I do not have to get an add in card.

I like these:
- ASROCK X670E Taichi (has the 8 SATA ports and a great price!) $499
- Asus X670E ROG CrossHair Hero $699
- Asus X670E ROG CrossHair Hero Extreme $999

Intel:
EVGA x799 Kingpin has 8 Sata ports

I noticed some microcenters have them $100 off and I honestly can't seem to see much of a difference between them. Has anyone used ASRock? Its half the cost of the Extreme and looks like it has the 8 SATA ports which is a win win.

I am used to Asus though in regards to their build quality as my last few builds have been Extreme models.

Anyone have any input? I am leaning towards that Taichi, I just am unfamiliar with ASRock

If you plan to stick with your ddr4 kits, then 13700k + z690 / z790 ddr4 version is the way to go. It would cost below 1k.

I’m an ASUS guy, too. I last used ASRock with their X99 Extreme 4 board - loved it. The experience thus far with the Taichi has been great. Very heavy. High build quality.

They also released the Carrera recently which had great reviews. It’s like $50 more.

I grabbed a Z790 Aorus Master and I frickin love it. Has everything I would ever dream of. For you though it only has 4 sata 6gb ports where I only use 2 for the blu ray drive and breakout box card reader which are both basically optional and rarely used. You could just get a NVMe drives which are pcie 4 and not need the sata 6gb slots except for spinning platters which you could also replace with 4tb that are nvme for about 350 for the WDSN850X I have one it's amazing. Also the board is DDR5 up to 8000 so you couldn't use ddr4.

I appreciate that we have multiple motherboard manufacturers putting out decent stuff. As long as you're happy with the specs, I don't think you'd be upset with similar boards from ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, or even ASRock. That hasn't always been the case.

AM5 is new future upgrade path for years.

AM4 has deals but 5800X3D is the end game. Dead platform. Most of the chips you'll be bottlenecking new GPU's. 5600X bottlenecks RX 6750 XT. For instance.

Intel 13th gen. Intel couldn't R&D themselves into a better process so you get a fast space heater on a dead platform.

My 2 cents.

Back