Bristol Ridge R7 Apu Question

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
Those new Bristol Ridge AM4 chips look to be an exceptional value to me for a capable APU, however I've got just one small concern before i'd consider getting one. Does anyone know how much DDR4 that it will let you allocate toward the onboard V-RAM? I've been a proud owner of a Sapphire R7 videocard for several years, but since it's only got 1GB of v-ram it really dosen't do so well in modern games, even at low settings. Is the Bristol Ridge R7 limited to only 1GB of v-ram, or can it be adjusted higher than that? I was really hoping it would let you crank it to at lease 4GB, but can't find good information about it online.

My last APU was 2 gb, but I really dont think it is an issue since the apu sort of uses all of the available ram dynamically as vram.

The most important factor for getting the most out of the apu is the ability to overclock the cpu and the ram.

2 GB seems to be the maximum for Bristol Ridge. Just look at the increasing amount of BR tests on Youtube.

Thanks Archon. That's a bit disappointing to me though cause even my old Sandy Bridge APU could allocate 2GB of memory to graphics.

does the memory allocation matter that much for how low end these things are in the market? the newer raven ridge would be what you want to probably wait for at this point.

does the memory allocation matter that much for how low end these things are in the market? the newer raven ridge would be what you want to probably wait for at this point.

Sure it may be low end for desktop graphics, but that doesn't change the fact that Bristol Ridge's R7 graphics would be a huge upgrade from my Intel HD2000 graphics on my i5.

I understand that part, just dont how much the amount of shared memory would effect it.

Those new Bristol Ridge AM4 chips look to be an exceptional value to me for a capable APU, however I've got just one small concern before i'd consider getting one. Does anyone know how much DDR4 that it will let you allocate toward the onboard V-RAM? I've been a proud owner of a Sapphire R7 videocard for several years, but since it's only got 1GB of v-ram it really dosen't do so well in modern games, even at low settings. Is the Bristol Ridge R7 limited to only 1GB of v-ram, or can it be adjusted higher than that? I was really hoping it would let you crank it to at lease 4GB, but can't find good information about it online.
the Bristol Ridge IGP is less than half the performance of your R7 card, even if it has more VRAM it will not be able to turn out playable framerates.
Save yourself some money and buy a 2600K and a used 970 instead; you'll get a massive boost in performance for about $300.

Performance isn't everything. Some like the simplicity of an APU. The APUs can be very fun to o/c as well.

Performance isn't everything. Some like the simplicity of an APU. The APUs can be very fun to o/c as well.

Apus make building 100% fan-less computers much more simple. Not that I don't like a good challenge every once in a while. I regularly hit the 2GB limit on my HD2000 Intel APU. It's my understanding if you are hitting your v-ram wall limit, then you just might benefit from more. Especially when i'm running 32GB of RAM like I do. (specs in sig out out-dated)

Back