Brand new RAID failure -- it comes back...then dies.

So I just finished setting up my brand new build.
I've got:
Asus P8Z77-V LK (Using the SATA 6Gbp Ports for Intel RAID 1)
2 Seagate 2TB Drives
ST2000DL003
ST2000DM001

Ever since I set up the RAID the raid has failed and the disk has gone "missing" -- this has happened 3 times so far in 72 hours. It comes back and then continues to rebuild the RAID. Anyone have any idea of whats going on? The drive that keeps failing and coming back in the brand new drive I bought from Amazon. The older one is the one that's staying alive. :confused:

Thanks for the help everyone!

Which drive is the one you "bought from amazon" :confused:

I've heard some weird stories of "green" drives acting weird in RAID setups. I personally haven't experienced this (I have two HD204UI in Raid 1). Maybe it has something to do with mixing a non-green (7200rpm) drive with a slower green (5900rpm) one. This shouldn't be a problem... but maybe this could be what's up.

well, that's my two cents. Hopefully your issue can be figured out.

So I just finished setting up my brand new build.
I've got:
Asus P8Z77-V LK (Using the SATA 6Gbp Ports for Intel RAID 1)
2 Seagate 2TB Drives
ST2000DL003
ST2000DM001

Ever since I set up the RAID the raid has failed and the disk has gone "missing" -- this has happened 3 times so far in 72 hours. It comes back and then continues to rebuild the RAID. Anyone have any idea of whats going on? The drive that keeps failing and coming back in the brand new drive I bought from Amazon. The older one is the one that's staying alive. :confused:

Thanks for the help everyone!

First of all, you are mixing a 7200RPM drive with a 5900RPM drive, I'm amazed it even works at all in FakeRAID.

ST2000DL003 (5900RPM)
ST2000DM001 (7200RPM)

Seriously, you should always use the exact same drive when using Fake or hardware RAID.
Software RAID or JBOD are the only options i would trust mixing different model drives together.

Both drives are available on newegg.
If I were you, I would return the "new" drive, simply because it does not match the RPMs of the other drive, then I would order the exact same model and try again.

I've heard some weird stories of "green" drives acting weird in RAID setups
Yes, and only software RAID is capable of properly handling the head-parking issue with Green 5x00RPM drives.
Both hardware and Fake RAID have issues with the head-parking feature and sometimes do not know how to register it, thus dropping the drive occasionally or acting abnormally.

OP, you should really stick to 7200RPM drives, not just for performance, but also for lack of the head-park feature, unless of course you use software RAID, then it doesn't matter.

Which drive is the one you "bought from amazon" :confused:

I've heard some weird stories of "green" drives acting weird in RAID setups. I personally haven't experienced this (I have two HD204UI in Raid 1). Maybe it has something to do with mixing a non-green (7200rpm) drive with a slower green (5900rpm) one. This shouldn't be a problem... but maybe this could be what's up.

well, that's my two cents. Hopefully your issue can be figured out.

First of all, you are mixing a 7200RPM drive with a 5900RPM drive, I'm amazed it even works at all in FakeRAID.

ST2000DL003 (5900RPM)
ST2000DM001 (7200RPM)

Seriously, you should always use the exact same drive when using Fake or hardware RAID.
Software RAID or JBOD are the only options i would trust mixing different model drives together.

Both drives are available on newegg.
If I were you, I would return the "new" drive, simply because it does not match the RPMs of the other drive, then I would order the exact same model and try again.

Yes, and only software RAID is capable of properly handling the head-parking issue with Green 5x00RPM drives.
Both hardware and Fake RAID have issues with the head-parking feature and sometimes do not know how to register it, thus dropping the drive occasionally or acting abnormally.

OP, you should really stick to 7200RPM drives, not just for performance, but also for lack of the head-park feature, unless of course you use software RAID, then it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the info -- I deff. saw that coming -- I should have known better. I ended up returning one of the seagate 2TB drives for a 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD. I have a spare 2TB USB 3.0 EXT that I'll mirror from the other 2TB internal Seagate.

^ Probably your best bet for performance and storage.

Back