Borderlands 3

Weird! Have you checked in on any of the 3090 owners forums to see if that's an issue for the whole series?

I've seen a couple other posts here and there, but it's kinda tough finding other 3090 owners who are also playing Borderlands on Mayhem 10 :p
One thing I might have discovered yesterday is the Windows October Update's transparency function might be a possible culprit. I started trying things and after disabling that, I've had no crashes. Nothing in Horizon either, which is infamous for crashing on a ton of setups.

Huh, were you playing fullscreen windowed?

I've tried both. Both DX11 and DX12. Capping FPS to 60/120/Unlimited. Even tried some startup command line items people claimed to help. Nada on all of it. Sometimes it'll play for 30-45 minutes sans issues. Other times it'll crash in 5 minutes or back-to-back. In particular the Evil Brick and Mordecai fight was especially crashy. It took 5 tries to get through that one, and it wasn't easy to begin with. I haven't had a ton of time with it in the last day, but the desktop transparency thing fixed Horizon and Borderlands didn't crash in the 10 minutes I did spend with it yesterday.

Very strange, it's just the desktop transparency option?

As far as I can tell. It's under the desktop color setting "Transparency Effects." Not sure if it was introduced in the 20H2 update or I only just started using it with that update, but I think it could be an issue. I'll know more about Borderlands over the weekend, but Horizon hasn't crashed in 2 days and a lot of play.
It has been a while, but back in the Windows Vista days, a very similar transparency effect caused headaches for Nvidia drivers for a few months. That's actually why I went in and changed it. I remember having those issues like 10 years ago. Could totally be something else, too, though. Lord knows I've tried enough things related to re-installing drivers, re-plugging in the card, shuffling power plugs, etc. Most 3090 issues are related to PSU's, and I have a 1000w Corsair that's fairly new. Plus, stress tests all pass without a hitch.

EDIT: Got about 25 minutes to play on my lunch break. Managed to clear out a huge room of baddies and kill a boss sans any issue. Thinking that honestly might have done the trick. At the very least something I did made a difference.

Last edited:
Honestly, all of the season 1 DLC's were pretty good, maybe not Lair of the Shadow Broker, or Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, but solid expansions with new loot, NPC's, exploration, etc...

Is there anyone like the previous slaughter dome DLCs? Just never cared for those ones.

Story wise is it worth playing The Pre Sequel first? I got 2-3 hours in but really didn't like it. I did the Tales of BL game and BL1/2 + DLC.

Is there anyone like the previous slaughter dome DLCs? Just never cared for those ones.

Story wise is it worth playing The Pre Sequel first? I got 2-3 hours in but really didn't like it. I did the Tales of BL game and BL1/2 + DLC.

I never played the Pre-Sequel. I don't think a ton of people did. Even of the people that did, seems like a good chunk of people bailed quickly. There are already arena levels built into the main game, so they didn't add any more via via paid DLC, luckily.
Of the DLC's for Borderlands 3, Moxxi's Heist (the first one) and Guns, Love, & Tentacles (the second) are both really good. They're both story-based and could have easily been missions in the main game. They're as good or better than any of 'em. The seasonal levels of Heck and the Cartel Mansion are both terrific, too. Bounty of Blood and Psycho Krieg (DLC 3 & 4) both feel half-baked and don't really bring anything new or valuable to the table. Weapon-wise I haven't seen shit from either of them either.
The main game and the first 2 DLC's are what I'd recommend for anyone to buy.

Mostly agreed- Bounty of Blood is good if you love spaghetti westerns, and Psycho Krieg is... weird (but neither is bad). I'd look for the season pass on sale, it seems to me it will be soon for the holidays, and $20~ish for all 4 is a steal.

Are all classes fun enough? Much enjoyed the series but somehow never started this one.
Probably will get it after I upgrade my graphic card

Are all classes fun enough? Much enjoyed the series but somehow never started this one.
Probably will get it after I upgrade my graphic card

Yeah, at this point they've done a pretty good job of strengthening the weaker classes/abilities and weakening the overpowered ones. Depending on your playstyle, you can have fun with all of the classes and abilities. The only thing I'd caution you about is FL4K. He's a terrific character, but playing him isn't what you might expect. All the character descriptions focus on him having a pet, but in reality the pet is mostly there to revive you. FL4K is basically all about doing crazy damage with his special attacks, but getting killed frequently. The pet is mainly there to bring you back. There are builds that make the pet better, but the damage trade-off is huge.

I like Amara's new skill and Moze the rest just suck maybe if I could change characters don't have the time to run though the game again =)

While I appreciate what they're trying to do with FL4K, it's going to be tough to give up Fade as a special ability. Plus, you can look at the skill tree on the Borderlands website and see that those abilities don't really even work in conjunction with the red and green trees that are so useful right now. It's basically an all or nothing pet build that's just not going to do that much damage. It makes him more durable and make the pet attacks better, but I don't really care if I can't deal huge burst damage. I'm of the opinion that the longer fights go, the tougher they tend to be and the more chances you have to have a fluke death.

Yeah, I like FL4K, but I couldn't find anything even close to replacing fade. I started a Moze, and might give Amara a try for season 2, but they are going to have to show some actual story before I'll buy a pass.

While I appreciate what they're trying to do with FL4K, it's going to be tough to give up Fade as a special ability. Plus, you can look at the skill tree on the Borderlands website and see that those abilities don't really even work in conjunction with the red and green trees that are so useful right now. It's basically an all or nothing pet build that's just not going to do that much damage. It makes him more durable and make the pet attacks better, but I don't really care if I can't deal huge burst damage. I'm of the opinion that the longer fights go, the tougher they tend to be and the more chances you have to have a fluke death.
I used Fade once and did not like it, never went back after that.

I used Fade once and did not like it, never went back after that.

Really? Damn. It absolutely does crazy damage. Maybe the most of any single attack sequence in the entire game. You do have to totally pour everything in stack damage to maximize it, though. Different strokes I guess.

I usually stick to moze, damage is good and I never run out of ammo, still need to do the last DLC on the 3 other toons. Will see what else they got in the pass b4 getting it.

Yeah I dont know how much fun this would be I might pick it up on the Nov. 10th. Might actually be intense where the fun could be from being a timed event.

Borderlands 3 starting to seem like it'll be a game as a service since it's Gearbox's only real moneymaker or reason for existing now; I'm okay with that though - love Borderlands.

It's also 70% off at GMG. (ok, $18.61 - 69%). Stupid crazy worth it if you are on the fence at all.

Borderlands 3 starting to seem like it'll be a game as a service since it's Gearbox's only real moneymaker or reason for existing now; I'm okay with that though - love Borderlands.

Glad I just finished BL3 & the DLC then. "Meh" to me, better in some ways but preferred the story of 2 as well as some of the combat.

I think they could've done better with voice scripts. It's too long and bunched near town that each cuts into another.

I'm still seeing weird crashes in this game. They aren't super common and they seem isolated to the (incredibly "meh") last DLC areas and certain M10 rolls. The menus are also weird. Clicking on a piece of gear to replace it with your stash no longer consistently works. I'm struggling to complete Krieg DLC and and these issues aren't helping. What a slog, especially after how good those first two DLC's were.

Does anyone know if season 2 supposed to have 4 story DLCs or is it just skill tree upgrades / potential new characters

I finally completed the Krieg DLC. My lord what a SLOG. The bosses are all just bullet sponges. They aren't even particularly challenging (except the Train, which adds dozens and dozens of random mobs), but they take so much damage. I found myself constantly running low or even out of ammo for my main 4 guns. This is with a build geared around damage stacks and a pile of elite weapons. SMG's clearly still suck as when I was stuck resorting to one, I might as well have been unarmed. Maybe this was the fault of poor Mayhem scaling, but I hated playing this DLC and have no plans to ever go back. Both this and the second Takedown mission sucked.

Season 2 is going to be a "no" for me at the moment. I might hop back in if they re-do Mayhem, bring the Cartel mission back, or if there's a major sale on Season 2. Otherwise, I'm done.

I finally completed the Krieg DLC. My lord what a SLOG. The bosses are all just bullet sponges. They aren't even particularly challenging (except the Train, which adds dozens and dozens of random mobs), but they take so much damage. I found myself constantly running low or even out of ammo for my main 4 guns. This is with a build geared around damage stacks and a pile of elite weapons. SMG's clearly still suck as when I was stuck resorting to one, I might as well have been unarmed. Maybe this was the fault of poor Mayhem scaling, but I hated playing this DLC and have no plans to ever go back. Both this and the second Takedown mission sucked.

Season 2 is going to be a "no" for me at the moment. I might hop back in if they re-do Mayhem, bring the Cartel mission back, or if there's a major sale on Season 2. Otherwise, I'm done.
You finished it on Mayhem 10?
I can't even do damage at that level.

The should of made the entire game like this and built up the loot. Designer cut could bring back that original Borderlands feels. Instead of forcing a story down your throat that even Gearbox doesn't care about. Use all those grey and green Dahl guns. The best part of BL3 was using the cheap guns when you first meet the psychos.

Last edited:

I think the storm cloud closes in on you which is the blue circle on the map which dictates the game. Also have a counter below the mini map.

You finished it on Mayhem 10?
I can't even do damage at that level.

Yeah, but it honestly keeps the game from being fun. The Western-themed DLC was still at least fun to play on M10 because everything wasn't as leveled-up and horde-like.
To play the game on M10, you have to approach things with pretty specific weapons. I'm using a M10 OPQ, Yellowcake, and Monarch (all from the Cartel mission) and a Fl4k build that is based around stack damage and the use of Fade. I use the OPQ 90% of the time from a distance. The Yellowcake is for when enemies are bunched up. The Monarch is for bosses. The Monarch's alt-fire shoots really, really, really fast and will almost totally refill Fl4k's fade after each use. That allows you to repeat it. With all the bosses being super spongy, it's one of the only weapons that hurts them. I have a 14-shot M10 version of the Companion pistol that I use when everything else is running low on ammo. It surprisingly hurts bosses, too. The Sandhawk, too, although it runs out of ammo way too quickly. I don't have an SMG that's worth a damn. The Lob is my best shotgun and it sucks now. All the newer shotguns are charge-based and tough to use.

I tried using other weapons (including the ones in this DLC), but nothing else does damage. The people that missed out on the Cartel mission are kinda SOL. Those weapons were all built to deal with M10 enemies. Nothing else is.

Season Pass 2 is up on Epic for 29.99
Designer Cut is 14.99
Nov. 10th

Last edited:
Seems like the Season Pass is a no-brainer if you plan to keep playing. The individual items add-up quickly.

Seems like the Season Pass is a no-brainer if you plan to keep playing. The individual items add-up quickly.

No brains is right I'm not sure if I need this. Compared to Season pass 1 it's obviously not as good. Maybe if the Desinger cut level was better looking more thought put into it.

I keep getting my ass kicked but Psycho Krieg and Mordecai. I do nearly zero damage and just seem to spend most of my time running around.

Reviews on Steam are Mixed for the DLC and mostly Negative for Season Pass 2.
Not sure who to believe

Back