Borderlands 3

I’d definitely recast most of them if it were up to me but I have to say, the trailer doesn’t look bad..

Moxxi being played by a 61 year old hurts though.
If I was totally unaware of the game lore and characters, I would suggest the trailer would generate interest from me.

Hehe, yeah Tanis is 65 and Lilith is 50. Moxxi is over 60 and Roland is a 5.5 foot comedian with a wisecracking high pitched voice. Got it. Don't get me started on Claptrap.

Yeah it is all awful. Even Tiny Tina's actress doesn't attempt to act like the character from the game. She wasn't even a great character, so when you take away the insane hyper talking she is just a regular kid. It is like none of the actors even attempted to act like their game counterparts. And then dropping two of the playable characters from the first game wasn't a good choice.

Yeah it is all awful. Even Tiny Tina's actress doesn't attempt to act like the character from the game. She wasn't even a great character, so when you take away the insane hyper talking she is just a regular kid. It is like none of the actors even attempted to act like their game counterparts. And then dropping two of the playable characters from the first game wasn't a good choice.
I think the Tiny Tina casting is the best one of the bunch tbh, but I agree.

Plus yeah, I played as Mordecai in the original and it’s trash he’s left out. Why wouldn’t you want a hawk wielding sniper in the mix? Pfft.

I think the Tiny Tina casting is the best one of the bunch tbh, but I agree.
Agreed.
Even Tiny Tina's actress doesn't attempt to act like the character from the game. She wasn't even a great character, so when you take away the insane hyper talking she is just a regular kid.
Have to disagree there. Yeah, the character was simplistic and somewhat of a trope, but she was pretty effin awesome when thrown into the crazy Borderlands landscape. And let's face it, I would argue the overall fanbase loved her. Butt Stallion!!!
Plus yeah, I played as Mordecai in the original and it’s trash he’s left out. Why wouldn’t you want a hawk wielding sniper in the mix? Pfft.
#metoo. Did Zer0 in the Borderlands 2. Two characters that could be awesome especially when evening out the cast.

Agreed.

Have to disagree there. Yeah, the character was simplistic and somewhat of a trope, but she was pretty effin awesome when thrown into the crazy Borderlands landscape. And let's face it, I would argue the overall fanbase loved her. Butt Stallion!!!

#metoo. Did Zer0 in the Borderlands 2. Two characters that could be awesome especially when evening out the cast.
Butt Stallion! Just makes me thing how great a good Handsome Jack would be. Hell, Jack black would be better there than Claptrap.

My god I'm sick of Kevin Hart and his boyfriend the Rock. When playing the games Roland was an imposing serious force, not a slapstick humor midget. Someone like Michael Jai White would be my choice.
Seriously. Frankly I’m surprised the Rock isn’t in it lol. I would’ve liked to see Tommy Lister Jr in the role.

Seriously. Frankly I’m surprised the Rock isn’t in it lol. I would’ve liked to see Tommy Lister Jr in the role.
Well, Lister is dead so that's a problem. And I don't hate the Rock but I'm not sold that he would make a good Brick (but want Brick in the movie).

Well, Lister is dead so that's a problem. And I don't hate the Rock but I'm not sold that he would make a good Brick (but want Brick in the movie).
Damn! I’m an idiot, seriously did not know that. Rip Deebo

I have watched the trailer a few times now and I'm still like WTF?? I do like the actors but talk about miscast...WTF??

Maybe the biggest misscast i've ever seen for a movie, and that's saying something. It's like the producers went out of their way to cast the opposite of each character. Holy crap. Tina Tina? Didn't even attempt at all to capture the essence there.....at all. This is mind bogglin. Pretty easy to predict this will suck and bomb at the box office. Come back to this thread a few months from now after release :)

They should slap the script writer around. Maybe the director too. How could they ignore the game character Tiny Tina like that? The way she acted and talked in game is what made the character so iconic. I dont blame the actress. I blame who wrote the movie script. Sadly its just a money grab by Hollywood again. I won't go see it. They don't deserve my money nor my support.

Just made me want to go back and play borderlands 2 (for the umpteenth time) and go watch the hey ash whatcha playin videos lol.

Reactions: pek
like this
Looks like the priority when casting was to get the biggest names for the least amount of money, betting that very few of the audience would have any knowledge of the games anyway. But what makes the games fun are the sheer craziness and fast pace of everything, casting the Golden Girls for that doesn't seem like a good idea.

And a Tiny Tina without the high strung ADHD personality of Tiny Tina, is just a pink haired kid that like explosives. Roland was also like a father figure for her, how is the Roland character in this movie suppose to portray that in a believable way?

This is a movie, not a game, so if it ends up being just like watching someone playing a half assed slow paced version of a Borderlands game, it will suck. And I'm sure it will.

The fans of the game itself are going to lash out at the producers and director for sure. Rightly so too. I can see them boycotting the movie. Its sad too because if they had done this right the game fans would have hyped it up for them and would have brought in in many of those who don't know the game or the lore. I know its Hollywood but talk about a fuck up. Sheesh!

The fans of the game itself are going to lash out at the producers and director for sure. Rightly so too. I can see them boycotting the movie. Its sad too because if they had done this right the game fans would have hyped it up for them and would have brought in in many of those who don't know the game or the lore. I know its Hollywood but talk about a fuck up. Sheesh!
I liked the games and I'm probably going to like the movie.

I liked the games and I'm probably going to like the movie.
I love the games and have amassed more than a thousand hours in them, but making movies based on games just seems like a quick cash grab. Maybe if they have picked up something from the Tales From The Borderlands games it could be OK, but the casting would still feel wrong to me.

The thing with Borderlands is the stories are never that good. The games focus more on gameplay than narrative design. This can be a double edged sword for adapting many games to film. Many game story plots are often a bit weak when put into a completely linear non-interactive medium like film. Even games that have fairly good stories are often kind of weak compared to movies; which in turn are typically weak compared to books. A climatic event in a game often has both story and gameplay elements which lead to it being climatic in the first place. For example, fighting off a tough boss that requires you to use your skills and tools you learned throughout the game. There might be some character interaction which has a lot of weight simply because of the challenge it took to unlock said interaction. When put into film, that entire element is absent. You will find that watching many games with good stories aren't actually that great absent the challenge. We will often get immersed in other ways as well. Characters that are comparatively less developed can attach to the gamer simply due to interactions with them.

The result is, in many ways, following a video game story 100% will often result in something a bit underwhelming. The good news is Borderlands doesn't necessarily have a good story even by video game standards. This gives them some creative breathing room to create an interesting story. However in the absence of adapting an original video game story, they must nail the feel or style of the game very well. In the case of the Borderlands movie the characters feel so off it doesn't really feel like Borderlands. They had a relatively easy task, just recreating the character's personalities, and they seemingly failed at that.

The thing with Borderlands is the stories are never that good. The games focus more on gameplay than narrative design. This can be a double edged sword for adapting many games to film. Many game story plots are often a bit weak when put into a completely linear non-interactive medium like film. Even games that have fairly good stories are often kind of weak compared to movies; which in turn are typically weak compared to books. A climatic event in a game often has both story and gameplay elements which lead to it being climatic in the first place. For example, fighting off a tough boss that requires you to use your skills and tools you learned throughout the game. There might be some character interaction which has a lot of weight simply because of the challenge it took to unlock said interaction. When put into film, that entire element is absent. You will find that watching many games with good stories aren't actually that great absent the challenge. We will often get immersed in other ways as well. Characters that are comparatively less developed can attach to the gamer simply due to interactions with them.

The result is, in many ways, following a video game story 100% will often result in something a bit underwhelming. The good news is Borderlands doesn't necessarily have a good story even by video game standards. This gives them some creative breathing room to create an interesting story. However in the absence of adapting an original video game story, they must nail the feel or style of the game very well. In the case of the Borderlands movie the characters feel so off it doesn't really feel like Borderlands. They had a relatively easy task, just recreating the character's personalities, and they seemingly failed at that.

Yeah I never really even paid attention to the Borderlands story, it seemed more like an afterthought to me. But a lot of the characters are iconic. IMO that's what you need to nail to make it a good Borderlands movie. That, and the guns.

Agreed. I don't expect them to copy the plot from any of the games, they are free to make their own story in the Borderlands universe. But if it is to make sense it needs to at least capture the feeling of the games and Pandora, and the main characters here just seem wrong in their intended roles.
But we'll see, if it turns out to be good I will probably watch it.

I agree the story and plot they could do even better than the game but the fail on the characters just ruins it for me. A shame too because just doing the characters correctly they could have a movie with serious sequels to follow. Hell they could even make a tv series out of this if they were willing to get the characters done properly. They wouldn't even need big name stars to do that.

I guess this means Borderlands 4 isn't going to be scrapped? And maybe, just maybe The Duke might be revived?

"The IP rights for the Borderlands series, Homeworld, Risk of Rain, Brothers in Arms, and Duke Nukem are obtained by T2. Randy Pitchford will also keep his position as the company's CEO."

"This news comes as a relief for gamers concerned about the fate of the upcoming installment and other projects its developers have been working on. Back in 2021, Embracer Group merged with The Gearbox Entertainment, sealing the $1.3 billion deal. A Swedish holding company that used to buy out other game developers but faced financial troubles. And now, Gearbox is being sold to T2, with the transaction valued at $460 million. The deal is expected to be closed in Q1 2025."

1711635210379.png

Back