Limp Gawd
gigabyte z590 ud ac
32GB Corsair
6500XT video
Evga 750GQ PSU
External drive case has its own power and they are sata
It will boot Ubuntu with or without the other drives installed
the ssd with Mint will only boot with all other drives removed

will try and explain this best as possible...
Drive 1 (win11) SSD installed via SATA
Drive 2 (Win 10) SSD installed via SATA
Drive 3 (backup drive) installed via SATA

I can boot and run Linux Ubuntu on my external case with all the other drives installed
I have another external drive with Mint and in the same external case computer will not even reach boot screen
Unhook all the other drives installed inside computer then Mint will boot

Maybe I found the issue, I have Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB with windows 10 installed, the ssd with linux mint is Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
Unhook the 500GB and the 120GB runs fine. I didn't know you couldn't run two drives with the same name even if their size is different

Maybe I found the issue, I have Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB with windows 10 installed, the ssd with linux mint is Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
Unhook the 500GB and the 120GB runs fine. I didn't know you couldn't run two drives with the same name even if their size is different
its probably not that, its probably the boot loader is looking to the wrong drive.

Manually select boot drive
If that fails swap the cable on the known good drive and retry manual boot selection

I’m confused why grub isn’t listed last known boot drive options

Drive brand has nothing to do with it, as other said, your boot loader / grub is likely hosed.
Depending how you installed each OS and what drives were connected would affect boot loaders.
Is there a reason why you are doing external drives and not just having them in the system?
At least for WIndows 11 / Mint linux you can dual boot on seperate drives and be done with it.

Drive brand has nothing to do with it, as other said, your boot loader / grub is likely hosed.
Depending how you installed each OS and what drives were connected would affect boot loaders.
Is there a reason why you are doing external drives and not just having them in the system?
At least for WIndows 11 / Mint linux you can dual boot on seperate drives and be done with it.
I installed Windows 10 without any other drive installed, I installed windows 11 without any other drive installed
I installed Mint without any other drive installed other than the USB that Mink was on

like i said, boot loader. you need to have the other OSs present for the boot loader to build correctly when all drives are connected.

like i said, boot loader. you need to have the other OSs present for the boot loader to build correctly when all drives are connected.
Maybe I'm not understanding....I have a ssd with Ubuntu and it boots with or without the other dives installed
I remove one of the internal SSD's and connected the SSD with Mint...I used diskpart to clean, I created a partition with mintool
No errors computer boots into Windows with the clean SSD installed, connected back the internal SSD and put the clean disk in external case....no boot screen
Put the SSD with Ubuntu in external case and it boots fine..I don't what i need to do to the bootloader...bios does see the clean SSD while connected to external case

I removed linux Mint from the drive with diskpart and created new partition with mini tool...with that drive in the external my computer doesn't even reach a boot screen...I have another drive with ubuntu installed and it boots fine with windows,,
With the clean drive that once had Mint installed in computer and I boot to one of the other drives no problem

Back