Blu-ray burner won't read red discs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Okay, this is weird. I have an external LG Blu-ray burner (BE14NU40) that apparently won't read discs that are red. Do you think this problem is specific to the LG, or are the lasers that Blu-ray uses incompatible with red-dyed discs? (That sounds really stupid, but I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't read this color.)

yhst-53322709932216_2273_90330218

Does this problem happen with multiple brands of red discs?

Is there a firmware update for the drive?

Thought I could help out as I have an internal LG BR burner; but unfortunately the red disc I have lying around isn't red on the recordable side. Sorry. :(

It's probably the LG model.

It's actually pretty common to have disc incompatibilities between manufacturers, even with DVD-Rs and CD-Rs.

You gotta buy a few brands and test to see with what works.

Is the red disc a CD?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's either a CD or DVD, which works fine in CD and DVD players that use longer wavelength infrared and red lasers to read the data. Blu-ray however uses a shorter wavelength blue laser and is likely not able to get enough reflected light back from that disk to function

If memory serves, most (if not all) drives use separate sensors for CD+DVD and another for BluRay.

your drive thinks it's an HD-DVD and doesn't want anything to do with it. lol

You can mail me a disc and I'll test it on my drives, I have an LG HD-DVD/BD/DVD-RW, an LG BD-RW/DVD-RW, and and LG BD reader.

Back