BLOODBORNE - Gamescom gameplay trailer

Has Bloodborne's performance changed recently? I bought the game long ago and was put off because of what appears to be bad frame pacing; I played it this week and, while it still looks like it's struggling to run 30 FPS, it doesn't appear as jittery. My TV and AV receiver are still the same and I've not changed any settings there, same PS4 Pro, but of course it has probably had a few system updates since the last time I noticed the issue.

Anyway, I suck at the game. I think my first character was milquetoast, I got about 10 minutes into the game and didn't play much, decided to restart so I could remember the buttons and I started with a 'warrior' character and I'm guessing that makes the game more difficult because I've yet to find a weapon and I'm at the same place I was with my milquetoast guy. I might just need to restart with milquetoastman again.
I want to try this but it is disappointing that they never released a PS4 Pro patch.

If you're interested in making the game a little easier I still swear by the Axe in 2-handed mode. The charging up R2 move is simply amazing. It clears enemies in every direction, it stuns large enemies and bosses, and it knocks normal enemies down/away. Since it causes so much havoc when it hits, you can repeat it in many instances. I spammed that move from the beginning of the game all the way to the Orphan of Kos. Just high tail it away from enemies using the dodge and keep charging that move up.

Reactions: djoye
like this
If you're interested in making the game a little easier I still swear by the Axe in 2-handed mode. The charging up R2 move is simply amazing. It clears enemies in every direction, it stuns large enemies and bosses, and it knocks normal enemies down/away. Since it causes so much havoc when it hits, you can repeat it in many instances. I spammed that move from the beginning of the game all the way to the Orphan of Kos. Just high tail it away from enemies using the dodge and keep charging that move up.
Thanks, I had apparently completely forgotten what I did when I started the game long ago, so I fought and killed that werewolf and two people with my fists before finally going to the Hunter's Dream and choosing weapons.:ROFLMAO: I picked the axe and it appears to do significantly more damage than that blade thing I had before, now I just need to exhibit some patience so I can kill that group with the effing archers right at the beginning.

Thanks, I had apparently completely forgotten what I did when I started the game long ago, so I fought and killed that werewolf and two people with my fists before finally going to the Hunter's Dream and choosing weapons.:ROFLMAO: I picked the axe and it appears to do significantly more damage than that blade thing I had before, now I just need to exhibit some patience so I can kill that group with the effing archers right at the beginning.

The main thing about Bloodborne is that you can basically dash endlessly to get out of bad situations or to dodge projectiles. Don't forget to abuse it.
I'm guessing you mean that big group around the a bonfire. It's best to try and draw a few of them away from the large group. That way you're only worried about 1-2 at a time while dodging projectiles. One of the harder areas at the beginning is once you get past those villagers and climb some stairs up to 2 werewolves. They're pretty rough, but if you take a left off of the bridge into a doorway they can't hit you. It also leads to a shortcut back to the beginning you can open. Can can become a good farming spot early in the game.

Once you understand the mechanics of the game, it will get easier, I was stuck at the beginning for a very long time, until I found out about the leveling up and healing uses. You will be a healing button masher by the end of the game.

Eventually it will only be the bosses that will be difficult as you try to figure out their sequences and stages.

Reactions: djoye
like this
Stats definitely matter. On my last playthrough one of the first things I did was try and boost my health to 30 as soon as possible. There are only a few core stats for each type of build so you don't have to worry about putting points into everything. Mainly go with your main weapon stat, vitality, and endurance. The key to getting your vitality to 30 is that almost nothing can 1-shot kill you anymore. Since healing is fast and you can dodge like mad, that means you can escape 95% of situations and heal up.

With some exceptions, I feel that most of the Souls games get easier as you progress. Increased stats, better gear, and more experience playing go a long way. Early sections are rough because you die fast, you're still learning, and your gears/stats kinda suck.

I got this game free through PS+ last year around this time I think and thought I would really like it given that I had just played through Nioh and usually don't mind repetitive dying as long as I know I can push through it somehow. But I made it to the first boss on the bridge after probably 3-4 hours of game play (died several times at those two warewolves Domingo referenced above) and never made it past him. I saw that the game was going to be a huge grind for me and I had just got Mad Max with PS+ as well and was enjoying that game much more, then God of War came out, then Yakuza Kiwami was another PS+ game I never played, then RDR2, then RE2 Remake... so I just never had much inclination to go back to Bloodborne. Maybe once there's a gaming lull and I can catch up with all the other awesome games, I will come back to this. It is pretty much the only PS4 exclusive I haven't played through now.

The main thing about Bloodborne is that you can basically dash endlessly to get out of bad situations or to dodge projectiles. Don't forget to abuse it.
I'm guessing you mean that big group around the a bonfire. It's best to try and draw a few of them away from the large group. That way you're only worried about 1-2 at a time while dodging projectiles. One of the harder areas at the beginning is once you get past those villagers and climb some stairs up to 2 werewolves. They're pretty rough, but if you take a left off of the bridge into a doorway they can't hit you. It also leads to a shortcut back to the beginning you can open. Can can become a good farming spot early in the game.
Thanks for the strategy. I've noticed that when you kill one pair that are patrolling the street, another pair seems to break off from the group to take over patrols and that repeats. I'll try nicking away at the group.

Once you understand the mechanics of the game, it will get easier, I was stuck at the beginning for a very long time, until I found out about the leveling up and healing uses. You will be a healing button masher by the end of the game.

Eventually it will only be the bosses that will be difficult as you try to figure out their sequences and stages.
That's what I'm thinking to myself, once I get going, I'll figure out the patterns or the mechanics and it'll be smooth sailing from there.

Edit instead of bump:
Even though I'm dying often, I'm really enjoying the game, I keep wanting to try again. The opening area seems easy enough to be enjoyable, but difficult enough to get me properly acclimated to the game (practice restraint!). My gripes:
  • I have a 52" TV, I sit ~12 feet back; I feel like I need to be 6 feet from the TV to clearly see everything. Enemies somewhat blend in to the environment, F that hound with the mob.
  • Bummer that Molotovs don't replinish when you die yet enemies do return; fortunately there are enough enemies to farm things from.
  • The lack of a pause feature is going to make it difficult for me to play because I have a 9-month-old boy. You can't contain a mobile infant, they get MAD when placed in a gated area so you need to let them roam. Then you need to be ready to pull them away from whatever coffee table they're munching on because you don't want teeth marks on the nice furniture. When they do a faceplant after trying to pull up on a chest of drawers, it's very difficult to focus when they're crying. Every encounter seems fairly scripted in this game, so you can get to a safe spot and idle while you tend to your child, but tension is high when you're trying to progress and you're also concerned about the safety of your child. This should be an added difficulty mode in the game for those that don't have children.
This will give me something to do while I watch my son downstairs, my computer room has too many hazards for infants.

Final edit to this:

I think I've got the hang of it, I'm navigating Central Yharnam fairly easy and, while I've not yet defeated the beasts on the bridge, I found a way around them! I'm hoping that finding hidden passages continues to pay off throughout the game because I've definitely seen the rewards/loot of that in Central Yharnam.

My new gripes:
  • I think I'm getting stronger because they respawn enemies every time I cycle the Hunter's Dream where I often return to save and upgrade my weapon(s). Is farming just a part of these games?
  • The surround sound is not ideal. I'm playing with 7.1 speakers, fortunately it positions enemy sounds in all speakers, but environment sounds are only played in the front and rear speakers, no environment sounds in the side surround on a 7.1 system. Kind of breaks immersion.

Last edited:
Let's go boys

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/bloodborne-ps5-remaster-remake-bluepoint-games-rumor/

SmartSelect_20211004-180820_Chrome.jpg

Bluepoint is working on an original IP for Sony right now according to official news. I don't think they're big enough yet to be working two projects at the same time.

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-acquires-bluepoint-next-game-playstation-exclusive
They're doing both. Because you see I read it on the internet. j/k but this girl apparently claimed some inside Sony scoop.

And now you're always going to remember this moment you found out a Bluepoint-quality Bloodborne PS5 is coming. You'll be telling your grandkids about this. We all will. My god.

SmartSelect_20211004-181802_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I was maybe gonna play Bloodborne finally as a sort of halloween game, from my PS plus game collection which you get as a PS5 owner with PS plus. But now maybe I will wait...

Game still looks fantastic, a remake? Nein. An enhanced version for PS5? Of course.

Bring on the PC port already, my body is ready!

does Bloodborne really need a remake?...if anything it needs a PC version or a sequel...Bloodborne is not Demon's Souls which was 12 years old
Disagree. Let Bluepoint put their polish on it. We've waited this long, and I want more than just a 60FPS for a game conceived in 2013/2014 with compromises made to barely run on PS4.

And maybe since they're starting with a higher quality game as a baseline, the project will take less time. I trust it would be spectacular whatever they decide, with extra details, animations, lighting, textures to backfill the extra power of PS5.

Last edited:
yeah, its probably a remaster, rather than a full remake. For Bluepoint, its should be fairly trivial to get the game working at 60fps. And then add a bit of polish, such as some Anti-aliasing, improve some textures, embellish a few effects. Elden Ring is out in January so, I could see them putting out a Blooborne remaster in the spring. And then maybe showing off their original project, by E3.

I replayed this earlier this year and finally got platinum trophy. I'd play it again sick game IMO. Deep into demons souls remake on PS5. Enjoying my ride to the platinum trophy so much. About half way through NG+

Bloodborne remake would be irresistible even now, 4 way tie with dark souls 1 and Sekiro and Demons souls for favorite games ever.

Colin Moriarty went into more detail on Discord stating that Bluepoint Games is currently working not only on a Bloodborne PlayStation 5 remaster, but also on a sequel

I highly doubt From Software would allow another developer to work on a sequel to one of their biggest games

Colin Moriarty went into more detail on Discord stating that Bluepoint Games is currently working not only on a Bloodborne PlayStation 5 remaster, but also on a sequel

I highly doubt From Software would allow another developer to work on a sequel to one of their biggest games
Well From doesn't own the IP I believe.

does Sony really want to piss off From Software by having another developer work on Bloodborne 2 without their approval?
Does Fromsoft even care? We seen how little effort they put into the game after release. For being such a popular game it never even received a PS4 pro patch. Honestly we don't even know the dealings that are going down between the companies because it is all behind close doors.

Bloodborne looks great in stills even today. I don't see the need for any sort of heavy handed "remake." It needs the same sort of treatment that Bluepoint gave the Nathan Drake Collection...only it's just one game.

bluepoint made the demon's souls remake.. is it really a stretch to believe they now have a good relationship and from has developed trust in them? i think i called this happening in this very thread not so long ago. plus as vegeta535 said, the whole thing could also be dependent on ip and this could be why nothing has happened until now after years of rabid fans screaming desperately for a patch or remaster or *something*

bluepoint made the demon's souls remake.. is it really a stretch to believe they now have a good relationship and from has developed trust in them? i think i called this happening in this very thread not so long ago. plus as vegeta535 said, the whole thing could also be dependent on ip and this could be why nothing has happened until now after years of rabid fans screaming desperately for a patch or remaster or *something*
The Bloodborne IP is owned by Sony. Why would From Software care what they do with it? I'd rather see what kind of original IP Bluepoint can do with the resources now available to them instead of having them relegated to remakes or remasters. All Bloodborne needs is a patch to run at 60 FPS on PS5 and I'd be happy.

From is about to finish Elden Ring. Meaning...they would be re-focusing a lot of their team on the next game for the company. And it could very well be Bloodborne 2.

I wouldn't want to see anyone but From Software create a new game from one of their existing IP's...especially from a developer not known for creating new games...I love Bluepoint as they are the master of remakes/remasters but I'd rather see them try their hand at a new ip versus Bloodborne 2

The Bloodborne IP is owned by Sony. Why would From Software care what they do with it? I'd rather see what kind of original IP Bluepoint can do with the resources now available to them instead of having them relegated to remakes or remasters. All Bloodborne needs is a patch to run at 60 FPS on PS5 and I'd be happy.

of course they would care...it's their legacy...doesn't matter who owns the IP, From Software is the developer...Sony funded the development but FromSoft are the ones who did the hard work creating the game, building the assets, story, characters, enemies, level design etc...they would not want to see their property get watered down

Yeah, it baffles me that they can't put forth the minimal effort in just patching it for 60 FPS on PS4 Pro or PS5 now considering how popular it is among the PS exclusives.

I only got a couple hours into Bloodborne though before getting distracted by another game or something and never went back to it. Given Bloodborne's poor ability to lock to 30 FPS even on PS4 Pro and PS5 though, I would definitely prefer to play it after its been patched for 60 FPS at least.

A guy made a mod to run the game at 60fps (along with 4K upscaling) and it mostly works fine as-is but requires a modded system to run. I dunno if anyone has done a deep dive to look for issues the patch causes, but it at least gets things most of the way there. Kind of like the 60fps patch for the original PC Dark Souls that broke a couple things but was 95% good to go on day 1. If an actual dedicated team worked on a small update like the mod, it wouldn't be a giant undertaking.
Then again, people said the same thing about Uncharted 4 (especially after TLoU2 got updated) and sure enough an updated version was announced instead...

Demake is supposed to be out in 2 months. This looks like what Nightmare Creatures should have been.

Yeah, it baffles me that they can't put forth the minimal effort in just patching it for 60 FPS on PS4 Pro or PS5 now considering how popular it is among the PS exclusives.

I only got a couple hours into Bloodborne though before getting distracted by another game or something and never went back to it. Given Bloodborne's poor ability to lock to 30 FPS even on PS4 Pro and PS5 though, I would definitely prefer to play it after its been patched for 60 FPS at least.
It has a cult following more then anything. It really didn't sell all too well. I surprised it only sold 2 million copies I was expecting a lot more from all the hype around the game.

It has a cult following more then anything. It really didn't sell all too well. I surprised it only sold 2 million copies I was expecting a lot more from all the hype around the game.
Sony stopped giving official sales updates for Bloodborne---in 2015 (2 million). At the time, this would have been a wonderful result for a Souls game released on a single platform. It wasn't until Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, that these games really pushed through to mainstream gaming.

Its unofficially thought that Bloodborne has sold over 3 million. It could be more, but its tough to say. Dark Souls 3 release about 2 years later and sold 10 million in lifetime sales, spread over 3 platforms (PS4, Xbone, PC). IMO, this supports Bloodborne possibly selling 3 million or more.

Sony stopped giving official sales updates for Bloodborne---in 2015 (2 million). At the time, this would have been a wonderful result for a Souls game released on a single platform. It wasn't until Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, that these games really pushed through to mainstream gaming.

Its unofficially thought that Bloodborne has sold over 3 million. It could be more, but its tough to say. Dark Souls 3 release about 2 years later and sold 10 million in lifetime sales, spread over 3 platforms (PS4, Xbone, PC). IMO, this supports Bloodborne possibly selling 3 million or more.
Not sure how PS+ factors into sales either, but it was a free game a couple years ago on there, where I'm sure at least a few more million added it to their library then. That's how I got it too.

of course they would care...it's their legacy...doesn't matter who owns the IP, From Software is the developer...Sony funded the development but FromSoft are the ones who did the hard work creating the game, building the assets, story, characters, enemies, level design etc...they would not want to see their property get watered down

It really truly doesn't matter. It's not their IP, neither is Demon's Souls. Those are Sonys and PS exclusives and I'm sure teh remake will be great. From is really Dark Souls now anyways, even though they had a lot of great stuff prior to any souls..

I'm still hopeful for a Bloodborne update of literally any sort. I don't care what platform it's on. Something akin to what Uncharted 4 is getting would be more than enough.

I'm still hopeful for a Bloodborne update of literally any sort. I don't care what platform it's on. Something akin to what Uncharted 4 is getting would be more than enough.
It's fairly heavily speculated that bluepoint is doing something. They are working on two games right now. One is original material And one is a remake.

Back