Black Friday Deals on LG C2 OLED @ Best Buy

Looking at 55"...is the C2 really worth the extra $300 over the B2? No gaming at all will be done on this, strictly Live TV and also Movies (full ripped BR/UHD collection) from NAS to 2019 Shield TV Pro running KODI.

Looking at 55"...is the C2 really worth the extra $300 over the B2? No gaming at all will be done on this, strictly Live TV and also Movies (full ripped BR/UHD collection) from NAS to 2019 Shield TV Pro running KODI.
Not really. The C2 is less of a value. If you have a membership, Costco has a very good B2 deal. Online only though. 999.99 plus their 3 year protection plan free of charge and a $100 costco card. If the B2 is like the C1, which people say it is, you absolutely can't go wrong at a price like that.

I actually got the 42" C2 to replace the 48" CX as my desktop monitor. Bedroom TV decided to give me issues so I moved the CX there, and I've been meaning to go a little smaller on the monitor side so this sale at BB was perfectly timed for me.

I actually got the 42" C2 to replace the 48" CX as my desktop monitor. Bedroom TV decided to give me issues so I moved the CX there, and I've been meaning to go a little smaller on the monitor side so this sale at BB was perfectly timed for me.
Any meaningful difference between the two?

Not really. The C2 is less of a value. If you have a membership, Costco has a very good B2 deal. Online only though. 999.99 plus their 3 year protection plan free of charge and a $100 costco card. If the B2 is like the C1, which people say it is, you absolutely can't go wrong at a price like that.
Not a Costco member, but new membership would pay for itself with that deal.

I'm actually doing the exact same thing. My CX has been great (no signs of burn in, used as a monitor since I got it), but my ancient 2000's era bedroom 1080p is having dark spots from backlight edge burnout so its time to go. Grabbed mine from Amazon Prime, delivered free by Dec 1 apparently.

I am curious as well. I'll report when I get mine, but I anticipate them to be very similar .The 42" should be a bit nicer for the desk and I'm to understand the panel on the C2 is perhaps a bit brighter or "better" in some ways, though I vaguely remember that there may be some settings or other elements that differ between them. I was considering getting either the C2 42" or the Asus OLED 42" , but from what I've read the Asus' big feature additions are a DisplayPort input (nice, but not necessarily any "better" than the HDMI 2.1 on the C2; I'd like to have DisplayPort as well simply because I prefer open, PC centric standards but otherwise I'm not sure there's any real difference in functionality in this context) and a 138hz refresh overclock potential (again nice, but its a pity they couldn't make it to 144hz at least the next step in refresh rate after 120hz, commonly. The difference between 120hz and 144hz is pretty minimal in most games anyway, especially with good active sync like present on both these monitors, so its a little odd they made 138hz a selling point but I guess couldn't get it stable at 144 on the panel), as well as a matte coating (perhaps important for some, but I usually don't have to worry about glare / keep it in a room without direct light on it etc) plus some ancillary stuff like a heatsink/enhanced cooling solution. Thus, even at a closer price I'm not sure if the Asus 42" OLED would have been worth the additional expense , but especially at the Black Friday price the C2 seems unbeatable to pass up, given I'm having the aforementioned TV issues in the other room.

I do find the C2 to be a little brighter, and a little more customization overall. If the C2 42" would have been available when I bought my CX 48" I would have went with the C2 based on size. The CX has served me well and continues to do so, but as an actual TV.

So, I bought one of these two weeks ago at BB and Thursday when I saw this I reached out to BB to have them price match the new, lower price. After four different people between chat and phone support refused I ended up returning the two week old unit and picking up another at the lower price. The clerk couldn't believe it when I told him the story.
They did the same thing to me with a macbook pro several years ago, bought one in store and within a week they went on sale for like 200 less. I asked them to refund the difference and they refused (this was in store). So, I went to the car and got the macbook pro I had already boxed back up in anticipation for this situation, walked back in and returned it and then bought a new one.. pretty fucking ridiculous.

Devil's advocate: If rumors of a 'down economy' and 'decreased consumer spending' are accurate, then tightening measures like eliminating retroactive discounting of price drops becomes easier to understand when considered from their point of view on millions of transactions. The relative handful of customers that will get in a counter clerk's face "well I'm just gunna return it and rebuy it cheaper then" are the edge cases that, even after taking restocking hit reselling the item as used, lose the company far less money than a policy where tens of thousands of customers can open a chat window for free money whenever a price drops on anything.

Multiply that by 10,000 and it's why Amazon keeps a hard line on not retroactively discounting. Besides adding staffing costs for thousands of additional CSR's to deal with refund request surges, absorbing return-and-rebuys still costs them exponentially less, mostly because only a minority of customers will bother.

Last edited:
Devil's advocate: If rumors of a 'down economy' and 'decreased consumer spending' are accurate, then tightening measures like eliminating retroactive discounting of price drops becomes easier to understand when considered from their point of view on millions of transactions. The relative handful of customers that will get in a counter clerk's face "well I'm just gunna return it and rebuy it cheaper then" are the edge cases that, even after taking restocking hit reselling the item as used, lose the company far less money than a policy where tens of thousands of customers can open a chat window for free money whenever a price drops on anything.

Multiply that by 10,000 and it's why Amazon keeps a hard line on not retroactively discounting. Besides adding staffing costs for thousands of additional CSR's to deal with refund request surges, absorbing return-and-rebuys still costs them exponentially less, mostly because only a minority of customers will bother.
You missed the part where that is their policy on Thursday before Thanksgiving and will be their policy again as soon as the BF/CM event is over the Monday after Thanksgiving. Open a chat window and they price match their own sale price as long as you are within the return window.

I believe the issue I ran into was related to their CSR's being a day ahead of us - so it was Friday for them. 24/7 support out of India is cheap. I have a team working for me year round on various projects.

1669611502559.png

There's a 98" TCL TV right now for $5k on slickdeals actually, normally $8k. Much cheaper ones are on the way. The problem is getting it installed (180 pound monster!) on your wall... as well as if you want to ever swap it out for something newer or if it breaks. Personally I'll be going with a projector for 120" next yearish. It's a massive difference.
180 lb only? I see someone never moved a 36" CRT TV.

Any difference between the cx and c2? I have the GX and waiting to upgrade and curious.

Any difference between the cx and c2? I have the GX and waiting to upgrade and curious.
Besides a little brighter screen and some customization features not a lot that I can tell. The size was what drew me to the C2 mostly.

Has anyone purchased a LG 42” C2 OLED with good or perfect screen uniformity? Mine has blue tint on the left and right and a bit of yellowish tint about 1/3 left of center when on a white background.

Attachments

• 85ED12BF-6ABF-4B77-8FE1-0A4C2ACA0115.jpeg
    85ED12BF-6ABF-4B77-8FE1-0A4C2ACA0115.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 0
Has anyone purchased a LG 42” C2 OLED with good or perfect screen uniformity? Mine has blue tint on the left and right and a bit of yellowish tint about 1/3 left of center when on a white background.
That doesn't look right. I'd return it.

I am staring at a 42" C2 right now on this PC and I have never noticed what you are describing.

You missed the part where that is their policy on Thursday before Thanksgiving and will be their policy again as soon as the BF/CM event is over the Monday after Thanksgiving. Open a chat window and they price match their own sale price as long as you are within the return window.

I believe the issue I ran into was related to their CSR's being a day ahead of us - so it was Friday for them. 24/7 support out of India is cheap. I have a team working for me year round on various projects.

View attachment 530189
Understood but I was really more commenting on overall trend away from the refunding-on-pricedrop thing happening industry wide. A lot of times understanding why CSRs will behave a certain way requires reading between the lines. I know firsthand they are trained to create resistance and barriers, transfer burden of effort to customer, drag their feet where possible because companies know a statistical percentage of customers will give up easily, forget to followup, etc.

So the resistance you faced may have been a technicality, but as a rule its usually more than coincidence.

Last edited:
Have been watching prices on the 77" for my mom. There has been a few options to improve upon MAP, free warranty, free in room delivery and setup, $200 visa gc, etc, but nothing that made it a must buy immediately. Will keep an eye on this

Understood but I was really more commenting on overall trend away from the refunding-on-pricedrop thing happening industry wide. A lot of times understanding why CSRs will behave a certain way requires reading between the lines. I know firsthand they are trained to create resistance and barriers, transfer burden of effort to customer, drag their feet where possible because companies know a statistical percentage of customers will give up easily, forget to followup, etc.

So the resistance you faced may have been a technicality, but as a rule its usually more than coincidence.
Yep no doubt, if the process was fast and easy they're encouraging you keep using the same process, but if its a long/tedious process they know they're planting that seed of doubt to make you think twice about whether or not its worth the hassle. Already worked a few times with me the last few months when Micro Center had the iPad 9th Gen for $10 less than what I paid at BB, I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

Its also a big reason I prefer BestBuy purchases, especially around the holidays. I can walk into a store and get instant gratification on a return or price match, while I have to wait and follow up with any warehouse/web only transactions. Amazon is the worst around the holidays too, they literally sit on your returns (and refunds) until after the holiday season. Queue up the pictures of literally pallets full of Amazon returns sitting around untouched. I was waiting 4 weeks for a motherboard return last year until I finally followed up with them and they pushed the refund through.

Saw this in today's MicroCenter flyer, seems like a great deal. $800 for 42" LG C2 OLED TV, pretty sure that's $200 cheaper than previous deals. If you're close enough to a MicroCenter you may be able to PM or get an adjustment if you bought previously. 48" is $1000, rest of the prices seem similar to what was around for BF.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...&MccGuid=EB7E8184-F3A2-4DDD-BB9D-7B33809B5A80

Last edited:
Saw this in today's MicroCenter flyer, seems like a great deal. $800 for 42" LG C2 OLED TV, pretty sure that's $200 cheaper than previous deals. If you're close enough to a MicroCenter you may be able to PM or get an adjustment if you bought previously. 48" is $1000, rest of the prices seem similar to what was around for BF.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...&MccGuid=EB7E8184-F3A2-4DDD-BB9D-7B33809B5A80
Note that it's not Microcenter specific. Its $799 everywhere - Amazon, BB, Target, Walmart, Newegg etc

The 42” for $900 is excellent for a PC monitor. I’m using one now. It’s a real treat for gaming and content consumption.

My brother got one a few weeks ago. He's got it paired with a 6900XT and having trouble getting it to do anything past 60hz refresh rate. He's set the HDMI input to PC mode and it still doesn't want to do 165hz.

My brother got one a few weeks ago. He's got it paired with a 6900XT and having trouble getting it to do anything past 60hz refresh rate. He's set the HDMI input to PC mode and it still doesn't want to do 165hz.
Windows OS, I assume.

Make sure he has the right type of HDMI cable. Not all are rated for 4k high refresh.

Make sure he has the C2 in Game Mode. He can set up the VRR/Free synch in the Game Optimizer settings.

PXL_20221226_225438966.MP.jpg

Then he can check it in Windows Settings > Display > Advanced Display Settings for h is C2

1672095090509.png

1672095147362.png

Back