Beware KB2750841

So I just installed the new windows updates on my test Windows 7 machine (domain network) and after reboot I kept getting a nag balloon at the bottom right toolbar over the network access icon saying "Additional log on info may be required, click to open your browser." The balloon pops up around every 15 seconds. KB2750841 is an ipv6 readiness update. I uninstalled it and the nag screen is now gone. I recommend declining this if you are using WSUS.

Last edited:
Just got the same issue on my home PC. Uninstalling right now. Thanks for the heads up!

No issues here on at least 3 Win7 machines.
But we have IPv6 disabled.

It is related to IPv6 and it shows itself if using custom DNS such as OpenDNS.
Another (temporary) solution for OpenDNS users is to go to Dashboard>Network>(Choose Network)>Advanced Settings>Uncheck the setting for "Enable typo correction (and NX Domain redirection)"
Using this workaround, you will lose web content filtering until this is re-enabled, but it fixes this issue on an entire network (if OpenDNS is set at the router level) rather than changing things on each computer.

I'm still investigating but it appears the issue may occur if you have ipv6 disabled on the machine in question or on your domain controllers. I did have one DC with ipv6 disabled which was also a dns server and ipv6 was also disabled on the pc I installed the update on.

This morning I checked all servers and enabled ipv6 on those where it wasn't enabled. I then installed all windows updates on the servers including KB2750841. No errors showed on screen after reboot. I then enabled ipv6 on my pc, installed the patch and after reboot no more balloon warnings.

Back