Best x570 boards for memory clocking?

stryfex

Weaksauce
This is a somewhat broad question I guess but I'm shopping for an x570 motherboard (for eventual 5900x when I can find one) and I'm struggling to understand how I can judge a board based on its ability to clock 4 sticks of ram to high speeds.

let's say I want to buy 4x16GB that is XMP rated to be something like 3600 C16 (or potentially higher for the sake of this discussion) - how can I inspect motherboard specs to know I'm making the right purchase?

What made me think of this is I looked at some reviews of the launching Dark Hero board from Asus which is a very expensive top-end board and some of the cons were that its memory overclocking capability was weak and it struggled to hit 3600 C14 - if that board can't reach those speeds then which can?

cons were that its memory overclocking capability was weak and it struggled to hit 3600 C14
Where is this information coming from?
if it's just one user, then take it with a grain of salt.
They would need to test with hundreds of CPUs and hundreds of memory sticks to determine what the bell curve is for maximum memory speeds and make any kind of statement with authority.
Some CPUs might have a crap IMC (integrated memory controller) and some brands/models of memory may not be tuned well by the BIOS.
Best bet is to look at the QVL for the board and pick from the tested modules there.
But even then the QVL is simply the list of memory Asus had on hand and tested and is certainly not the only memory that will work.
Sometimes it's trial and error.
Buy a reputable brand and model that is known to be friendly with X570 and AMD and you'll more than likely be fine.
That said, asking for CL14 at 3600 is pretty tight for 4 DIMMs. It might work, but again, it may come down to having a "good" CPU IMC and "good" sticks of RAM to get that kind of combo working well.
I'm running 3200 CL14 w/4 sticks and it surprised the heck out of me that it "just worked" when I added the 2 additional sticks after 2 years of having only 2 sticks installed.

This is a somewhat broad question I guess but I'm shopping for an x570 motherboard (for eventual 5900x when I can find one) and I'm struggling to understand how I can judge a board based on its ability to clock 4 sticks of ram to high speeds.

let's say I want to buy 4x16GB that is XMP rated to be something like 3600 C16 (or potentially higher for the sake of this discussion) - how can I inspect motherboard specs to know I'm making the right purchase?

What made me think of this is I looked at some reviews of the launching Dark Hero board from Asus which is a very expensive top-end board and some of the cons were that its memory overclocking capability was weak and it struggled to hit 3600 C14 - if that board can't reach those speeds then which can?
Memory clocking with all current BIOSes is a bit fishy. Some people could go to 3800MHz no issues, all on auto. Some couldn't set anything above 3200MHz without at least a bunch of WHEA errors or even lack of post. It's less of a memory issue more of FCLK keeping up 1:1 with MCLK. In worst case you can aim at 3200 with crazy low latency, like CL12 and wait until BIOSes gets better, which could take few months from now.

Where is this information coming from?
if it's just one user, then take it with a grain of salt.
They would need to test with hundreds of CPUs and hundreds of memory sticks to determine what the bell curve is for maximum memory speeds and make any kind of statement with authority.
Some CPUs might have a crap IMC (integrated memory controller) and some brands/models of memory may not be tuned well by the BIOS.
Best bet is to look at the QVL for the board and pick from the tested modules there.
But even then the QVL is simply the list of memory Asus had on hand and tested and is certainly not the only memory that will work.
Sometimes it's trial and error.
Buy a reputable brand and model that is known to be friendly with X570 and AMD and you'll more than likely be fine.
That said, asking for CL14 at 3600 is pretty tight for 4 DIMMs. It might work, but again, it may come down to having a "good" CPU IMC and "good" sticks of RAM to get that kind of combo working well.
I'm running 3200 CL14 w/4 sticks and it surprised the heck out of me that it "just worked" when I added the 2 additional sticks after 2 years of having only 2 sticks installed.

Info came from the TechPowerup review - AFAIK it's the only review floating around out there for this board atm

Reactions: Azrak
like this
The truth is, that it's a crap shoot. As a reviewer, I've tested tons of X570 motherboards and it depends on the modules you've chosen as well as the specific motherboard you are using. Even then, there are no guarantees. I've had the best luck with MSI motherboards when it comes to this, but only on the high end offerings like the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE. It's still a daisy chain motherboard but I was able to get 4x16GB DIMMs to run at DDR4 3600MHz speeds using XMP with all other settings on automatic.

The thing is, T-Topology boards will work better for running 4x DIMMs, but clock speeds are usually less than their daisy chain counterparts are capable of using two modules. But as others said, just because one review didn't get the ASUS Crosshair VII Dark Hero to hit decent clocks using 4x DIMMs, doesn't mean the board isn't capable of it. If I use my G.Skill TridentZ NEO modules on the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE, they work no problem. Using some Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz (4x8GB) modules I've got, it doesn't.

Back