Best way to remove cooler on AM4?

mda

2[H]4U
So I pulled out the 2700X out of the socket yesterday when I was removing it so I could move the board for travel. I was already aware and afraid of pulling the CPU out of the socket when removing the cooler, but it happened anyway.

Thankfully, no bent pins.

However, I'd like to know what the best way to remove the cooler is?

Normally, I'd twist the cooler until it comes off, but I may have put too much NT H1 and the CPU was stuck to the heatsink (NT H1 was not dry at this point). Twisting the cooler would make it rotate in place on top of the CPU but not come off.

PC was running for a good 24 hours running memtest so the CPU/heatsink was hot.

Should I just unlatch the socket, pull the CPU out with the cooler and just remove the CPU separately?

Or should I forcefully twist the CPU cooler off without any vertical motion with the knowledge that the socket will hold the CPU in place? (Good way to bend pins though if you do this wrong)

Not sure what I did wrong and what I should do in the future to avoid this from happening again.

Thanks!

if you can, run the pc before you pull it out, and twist it a bit before yanking on it.

^ Already did. The desktop was running for the last 24 hours prior.

I twisted the heatsink but it rotated 20-45 degrees on top of the CPU while still being stuck to it. The NT H1 hadn't dried out yet since its last application in july 2020.

I rotate it left and right (clockwise / counterclockwise) until it gets loose. then pull it off vertically

Reactions: x509
like this
So I pulled out the 2700X out of the socket yesterday when I was removing it so I could move the board for travel. I was already aware and afraid of pulling the CPU out of the socket when removing the cooler, but it happened anyway.

Thankfully, no bent pins.

However, I'd like to know what the best way to remove the cooler is?

Normally, I'd twist the cooler until it comes off, but I may have put too much NT H1 and the CPU was stuck to the heatsink (NT H1 was not dry at this point). Twisting the cooler would make it rotate in place on top of the CPU but not come off.

PC was running for a good 24 hours running memtest so the CPU/heatsink was hot.

Should I just unlatch the socket, pull the CPU out with the cooler and just remove the CPU separately?

Or should I forcefully twist the CPU cooler off without any vertical motion with the knowledge that the socket will hold the CPU in place? (Good way to bend pins though if you do this wrong)

Not sure what I did wrong and what I should do in the future to avoid this from happening again.

Thanks!
Yes you put way too much on. Twist each direction 90 degrees, then slide the block off (whichever direction you have the most clearance). The goal is to remove as much surface contact as possible. If you can, "unscrew" it (turn one direction while lightly lifting). Note this method won't work with an AIO.

Reactions: mda
like this
Yeah, I put way too much on.

Removed the NH U12A from my 3700X and the cooler popped off as soon as untightened the Noctua Secufirm without any issues.

sit in bios for 5 minutes to warm up the paste, unclip and twist the heatsink. bob's your uncle.
edit: theres no such thing as too much paste apart from a mess. the excess is just squeezed out.

I didn't know this topic was thread worthy, I've never thought twice about it. Little wrist action and the cooler separates real easy.

You guys got it...heat twist, but sad AMD has not figured this out since like forever....but please don't go lga like intel.

Back