Best way to get reliable WiFi signal in a basement?

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Long story short, I'm going to be living in my parents for all of 2014, working to start a business with my Dad while my wife is in Afghanistan. I'm going to be taking over their basement. They use Uverse, and I'm guessing whatever router they supply isn't up to the task of putting out an acceptable WiFi signal for the heavy internet use I will be doing. Running wires is likely out of the question, so instead I'm looking to just beef up the WiFi while I am there. My existing router is getting a bit long in the tooth anyway, so dropping some cash on on a decent WiFi setup will continue to benefit me when I move back out.

My current thought is to buy a pair of NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 routers. I'd set up the second one as a bridge in the basement. I assume then I could just hook all my devices to the second router and get the best possible WiFi connection to the router this way? Is there a better way to go about it?

You have a couple options, running a bridge is a crappy one that you should even consider inside the home. Running wire is easy, even in finished basements.

1. Run a wire. If the uverse installer ran a cat5 home run to the rg through the basement this is super easy, just follow that route with the new wire. If you have existing phone lines in the house that are cat5, those can be utilized to work also. Remember, you only need 2 pair for 100mbit eithernet.

2. Pay AT&T to come run a cat5 to where you want it, it'll cost you $99. From there you would use a wireless access point, not a router. Router behind router (unless the Uverse RG is in DMZ Plus Mode with IP Passthru) is a bad idea.

3. Have AT&T give you a new router. You would want a Motorola NVG589 which has 802.11n 2x2. This is only an option if your current modem is a 2wire 3600, 2wire 3800, 2wire 3801, 2wire iNID or Pace 5031NV. I have personally seen the NVG589 handle their 45mbps internet with ease in a 3 story house.

If you have an iNID just have them add a second indoor unit in the basement, it is literally adding a second WAP.

Honestly, running a cat5 (RJ-45) wire and connecting a second wireless ap downstairs would be cheapest.

If you don't want to go that route, the only other way would be to pickup an powerline networking adapter package and send it over the power line and then connect the second router or ap downstairs.

You would need something like the following.
http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294

You have a couple options, running a bridge is a crappy one that you should even consider inside the home. Running wire is easy, even in finished basements.

What makes it a crappy solution? (Not doubting you, just curious). I know wireless in general has latency issues and such, I suppose I was hoping the latest and greatest makes it tolerable.

Part of my desire for having two routers stems from the fact that I can continue to use them after I'm back in my own apartment. I'll be renting for the foreseeable future, so running wire will never really be a good solution for me. Right now I do run wire to my media center (along the ceiling), but I hate it, it's an eyesore. I'd much rather have a solid wireless solution if it existed. I've dicked around with powerline adapters in the past and they always sucked. My point is, if not now, I'll be looking for a reliable wireless solution in a year from now anyway. Unless what I want to do simply won't work, it seems more sensible to just get it over with.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Powerline down to the basement connected to an AP would probably be more reliable and better than bridging as someone else mentioned.
//Danne

I would just find a way to run a line down there, and consider maybe using two unifi access points, one upstairs or one downstairs. Heck, unless this is a concrete floor with lot of rebar or something, if it's standard wood construction you should be able to get away with a single AP practically anywhere in the house.

Mine is in the basement and I can even get a signal outside. It weakens outside mind you but that's because the AP is in the basement.

I'll probably put one higher up at some point as I want to make a Hyperboria access node.

If running a dedicated Ethernet line to the basement isn't desirable then at least look at using powerline adapters. Put one at the router upstairs and the other in the basement and hook your access point up to that. I'd rather feed an access point off those than it being repeated wireless.

Powerline down to the basement connected to an AP would probably be more reliable and better than bridging as someone else mentioned.
//Danne

+1 on Powerline or EoP adapters. Plug in a single port module next to the router and a 4 port module next to your equipment. Or a single port connected to a switch if you need more than 4 ports. The newer EoP adapters should be 500 Mbps.

Just get a OpenWRT compatible router and you'll get a 4 port switch + AP in one device.
//Danne

Powerline or MoCA for that matter. Whatever makes the most sense for your layout, but either is infinitely better than wireless repeating.

Back