Best Waterblock for Threadripper sTR4

FrankD400

Limp Gawd
What's the best waterblock for a 2950X? I'm running a Corsair XC9 and my temps go high under load with thick 360mm and 120mm radiators. Radiator temp is never very high. Looking for something that covers the TR better, but I've seen some blocks for the TR that underperform. Recommendations? Motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme, not sure which socket it has on it (Foxconn or the other one).

this might help. i was going to recommend optimus, but i think the threadripper block is for 3rd gen only.

I had really good luck with XSPC raystorm neo. Had good reviews as well

I had really good luck with XSPC raystorm neo. Had good reviews as well
That's what I have. I had the am4 version and liked it so got the tr4 version as well. Nothing to compare it to, but it works and looks good.

Quick search and the phantecs looks like a winner at least hy price and availability

I am using an EK-Quantum Velocity sTR4 - Nickel + Acetal block on a 3960x. 3rd generation of TR4 blocks from EK, took them that many tries to get something usable/decent -> Thank Kyle for the flame under their ass. Your board is listed on EKWB site as compatible:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-velocity-str4-nickel-acetal?___SID=U

Using a very thick 360mm radiator with 3 120mm fans as well. Some performance numbers for you, CPU, 3960x is at stock settings, no PBO, using Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut thermal pad (subtract 1c-3c with good paste) :
  • Mining Monero, all 48 threads (100% CPU usage), CPU 69.3c
  • AiDa 64 CPU stress test with AVX on, 77c (temperature after water reached equilibrium)
  • Prime95, stress test, small FFTs, all 48 threads, AVX 2 enabled, 67.8c(temperature after water reached equilibrium)
    • Weird, Aida 64 having a higher temperature, the CPU, all the cores were around 4.08ghz. Now in Prime95 with lower temperature, all cores were between 3.7ghz -3.8ghz
    • The disabled AVX2 box was not checked thus AVX2 was enabled
    • The slower speed on the cores, application detection??? Power limited to 280w??? is only reason I see for the lower temperature results for Prime95 over Aida64
Is this the best block, worst block? I do not know, no one seems to test this anymore, one of the most important aspect for a stable, long lasting setup.

Back