Best used phone under $250?

Gabe3

2[H]4U
thinking of upgrading from my moto g7. looking for a used phone under $200 usd, or $250 max. I like a close to stock android OS, which is why I'm a fan of motorola phones. looking at the oneplus 6t though as well. I would like a in-display fingerprint reader and 6gb of ram or more. my carrier is red pocket, which uses ATT's network. a 90hz display would be nice I'm guessing, the oneplus 7t has one but those are around $230. which is kinda alot more since the oneplus 6t I'm looking at is $150

I think Moto still makes the best budget phones in that price range. But the Samsung A-series seems to be pretty good too from the reviews I've seen.

I would recommend buying a newer budget phone over an older flagship like the OP phones mentioned as well, if just for much better battery life due to more efficient hardware, newer battery (less wear on a new/newer phone), and also longer software support and updates. So you're not going to see 6+GB of RAM and 90 Hz displays on sub $300 phones in that case, and those things don't necessarily mean better performance over newer budget phones either.

I think Moto still makes the best budget phones in that price range. But the Samsung A-series seems to be pretty good too from the reviews I've seen.

I would recommend buying a newer budget phone over an older flagship like the OP phones mentioned as well, if just for much better battery life due to more efficient hardware, newer battery (less wear on a new/newer phone), and also longer software support and updates. So you're not going to see 6+GB of RAM and 90 Hz displays on sub $300 phones in that case, and those things don't necessarily mean better performance over newer budget phones either.
hm, yeah thats something I started thinking about was battery condition on a phone thats a few years old. the oneplus 6t came out at the end of 2018. the phone I have now I bought new at the end of 2019

Hi Gabe, when I pointed you to the Moto G Power (2021) I had the same reasons in mind that T4rd wrote.
Battery life and new phone being prominent along with your being a fan of Motorola phones, and this phone being in your desired price range.

Compare
Moto G7: Released Mar 2019 / 3000 mAh battery / snapdragon 632/ 405 ppi density.

Moto G Power (2021): Released Jan 2021 / 5000 mAh battery / snapdragon 662 / 266 ppi density.

Am not ignoring the lowered screen density. However, when I view my girl friend's Moto G7 Power, I have to admit that her 279 ppi screen looks good. And she praises the 5000 mAh battery duration.

I will amend my enthusiastic "walk don't run" to Motorola though, and say consider the phone and try it out in a store. Perhaps Best Buy may have it for viewing being they are selling the phone.

Regarding 90 Hz displays, have you had a hands on with one and seen for yourself how it compares to your present 60Hz display? My Pixel 4XL has the option for a 90 Hz refresh rate. The first day I got it I immediately turned on the 90 Hz refresh rate and did like every one else is supposed to do. I went to a web page, placed my index finger in the middle of the page and jiggled my finger. Was I amazed? No. Then I scrolled up and down the page. Did I proclaim it felt 'as smooth as butter'? No, it felt and looked no different than did my 60 Hz setting. Only tangible thing it did was shorten my battery duration. I turned it off and question why manufacturers promote it as a selling point.

Hi Gabe, when I pointed you to the Moto G Power (2021) I had the same reasons in mind that T4rd wrote.
Battery life and new phone being prominent along with your being a fan of Motorola phones, and this phone being in your desired price range.

Compare
Moto G7: Released Mar 2019 / 3000 mAh battery / snapdragon 632/ 405 ppi density.

Moto G Power (2021): Released Jan 2021 / 5000 mAh battery / snapdragon 662 / 266 ppi density.

Am not ignoring the lowered screen density. However, when I view my girl friend's Moto G7 Power, I have to admit that her 279 ppi screen looks good. And she praises the 5000 mAh battery duration.

I will amend my enthusiastic "walk don't run" to Motorola though, and say consider the phone and try it out in a store. Perhaps Best Buy may have it for viewing being they are selling the phone.

Regarding 90 Hz displays, have you had a hands on with one and seen for yourself how it compares to your present 60Hz display? My Pixel 4XL has the option for a 90 Hz refresh rate. The first day I got it I immediately turned on the 90 Hz refresh rate and did like every one else is supposed to do. I went to a web page, placed my index finger in the middle of the page and jiggled my finger. Was I amazed? No. Then I scrolled up and down the page. Did I proclaim it felt 'as smooth as butter'? No, it felt and looked no different than did my 60 Hz setting. Only tangible thing it did was shorten my battery duration. I turned it off and question why manufacturers promote it as a selling point.
besides the increased battery life I think the G7 power would be a downgrade. it has 3gb vs the 4gb my g7 has. but the power has a better cpu. so I don't know. thanks for the info on 90hz displays. 60hz to 90hz isn't a huge amount. so I'm not surprised.

I would wait a bit. Whats wrong with your G7. One Plus phones can be had pretty cheap. 7 Pro or 7T on Swappa?

besides the increased battery life I think the G7 power would be a downgrade. it has 3gb vs the 4gb my g7 has. but the power has a better cpu. so I don't know. thanks for the info on 90hz displays. 60hz to 90hz isn't a huge amount. so I'm not surprised.
i agree. battery life while nice isn't the only factor tbh. I feel like I always have the option of charging my phone from my car, to work, to even public places have chargers

Moto One Fusion owner checking in. How important is 5G to you?

Check out these extremely inexpensive mid-rangers about to be released:

Moto G40 Fusion: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g40_fusion-10862.php (between $190-$210 est)

Moto G60: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g60-10861.php (Between $210-$230 est)

120hz screen refresh, 1080P resolution, faster UFS 2.1 storage rom, newer 8nm snapdragon 732g with the newer Kryo cores, Adreno 618 video, 6000mah battery,

Though my current phone is hardly old, if the price dips enough in a few months i may pick up one of these models, unlocked of course. Personally i buy from better known stores with a decent return policy, Amazon, BestBuy, Walmart etc.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Just bite the bullet a spend a bit more for the Pixel 4a. To me its hands down the best budget Android phone out. I am excited to get some hands on as I got it for my mom as a mothers day gift. Camera+ Stock Android+ guaranteed updates sold me. All she cares about is camera. Point and shoot. With the Pixel camera software you get near top tier shoots consistently

my g7 is really lagging when it hasn't been used for awhile, like when I first use it in the morning. then it speeds up after a minute.

Moto One Fusion owner checking in. How important is 5G to you?

Check out these extremely inexpensive mid-rangers about to be released:

Moto G40 Fusion: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g40_fusion-10862.php (between $190-$210 est)

Moto G60: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g60-10861.php (Between $210-$230 est)

120hz screen refresh, 1080P resolution, faster UFS 2.1 storage rom, newer 8nm snapdragon 732g with the newer Kryo cores, Adreno 618 video, 6000mah battery,

Though my current phone is hardly old, if the price dips enough in a few months i may pick up one of these models, unlocked of course. Personally i buy from better known stores with a decent return policy, Amazon, BestBuy, Walmart etc.

Those phones were made for, and released for use in India and countries outside of the United States.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
You may wish to consider a new Moto G Power (2020) which fits into your price range and is a significant upgrade to your Moto G7. Please note that it is the Moto G Power (2020), not the lesser Moto G Power (2021) which comes with a single speaker, a 720p display, and only a 3,000 mAh battery.

You can view the comparison specs on GSM Arena. Link

I purchased the phone for my girl friend because she wanted a Moto G phone with a large battery and good sound. The stereo speakers and call quality are very good.

On May 2nd I purchased the phone on Amazon for $229.
Both Motorola and Amazon are now selling them new and unlocked for $219.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My beef with Motorola is the fact that they don't release updates to their phones, which is a shame because they were one of the original "Android One" phone manufacturers who were seemingly committed to updating their phones more like Google.

I'd take a Pixel 4a over any Moto phone any day.

like this
Agreed that the Pixel 4a would be a fine upgrade for his Moto G7 and be the better choice. OP is "looking for a used phone under $200 usd, or $250 max". A new Moto G Power (2020) fits in his price range, if he decides to go with a Pixel 4a we will have to see if he bites the bullet for a new or used one.

Last edited:
I just checked on swappa and they are about $265. I mean it might be worth the difference for timely security updates. And the price should fall as the 5A gets closer to release.

If Motorola would at least do monthly security updates, they would be easier to recommend. I generally like their minimalist skins and large batteries.

like this
Those phones were made for, and released for use in India and countries outside of the United States.
Fully realize that, International unlocked Moto's work just fine in the US. Checking the Moto-India-Brazil websites would give more info on that, bands etc etc.

It's just a waiting game for them to arrive at Amazon.com and other sellers, even if it was never destined for the US market specifically.

But otherwise yup, Moto does have a bunch of similar and interesting models already for sale in the US. I almost purchased the same G Power a while back, but ended up with the One Fusion instead, it had a couple of features/specs i was looking for at the time. I tend to keep my phones only for a year or so till i accidentally break them or get the itch.

3 way feature comparison G Power 2020 ,,, G40 Fusion ... G60

Last edited:
You may wish to consider a new Moto G Power (2020) which fits into your price range and is a significant upgrade to your Moto G7. Please note that it is the Moto G Power (2020), not the lesser Moto G Power (2021) which comes with a single speaker, a 720p display, and only a 3,000 mAh battery.

You can view the comparison specs on GSM Arena. Link

I purchased the phone for my girl friend because she wanted a Moto G phone with a large battery and good sound. The stereo speakers and call quality are very good.

On May 2nd I purchased the phone on Amazon for $229.
Both Motorola and Amazon are now selling them new and unlocked for $219.
I can't bring myself to buy a new phone over a older flagship when almost everything is better on the older phone. I bought a oneplus 7 pro on ebay that was listed as having a pink screen that came yesterday. and yeah like 2/3 of the screen is slightly pink. seller has free returns so who cares but I was curious if it would bother me/what it would look like. I'm sending it back but its a freaking fast phone, has amazing screen, 90hz. under display fingerprint reader. the popup camera is cool. not crazy about the curved screen. it was $167. I'm going to try and get one in better condition for $200 or a 7T, used pixel 4a is temping too but its almost $300.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back