Best UPS for 850 watt power supply?

Circumnavigate

Limp Gawd
I don't know much about UPS or how they work, so if I have a 850 watt power supply than does that mean a UPS like this one would be sufficient? What if I were to have a 1000 watt power supply?

Also does anyone know if there is a specific brand/model of UPS that would be considered the best?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How long do you intend to run on battery power? What is the system draw under load, not the max power of the psu?

How long do you intend to run on battery power? What is the system draw under load, not the max power of the psu?
Don't plan to run on power for too long, just long enough to save files and shut down the computer.

How do I check my system draw under load?

I used to run things like the APC 1500VA you mentioned, but now, I just buy whatever is cheapest. I find they all pretty much last as long as the other.

1500VA is pretty big. Are you maxing out your 850W? I mean, I have a dually rig with like a 1250W PSU, but right now, even under heavy load, I don't think I go much beyond 400W. My rig will last pretty long time (many minutes) when the power is out (which doesn't happen often where I live).

I've been slowly replacing my old APC's (I have 3 dedicated circuits) with cheap Cyber Power units. You can pull the "data" over their app, but the front display shows total draw, etc..

I've been pleased with them so far (Cyber Power).

I used to run things like the APC 1500VA you mentioned, but now, I just buy whatever is cheapest. I find they all pretty much last as long as the other.

1500VA is pretty big. Are you maxing out your 850W? I mean, I have a dually rig with like a 1250W PSU, but right now, even under heavy load, I don't think I go much beyond 400W. My rig will last pretty long time (many minutes) when the power is out (which doesn't happen often where I live).

I've been slowly replacing my old APC's (I have 3 dedicated circuits) with cheap Cyber Power units. You can pull the "data" over their app, but the front display shows total draw, etc..

I've been pleased with them so far (Cyber Power).
If the draw is higher than the UPS's rated output it will just shut off when it switches to it, it will also constantly beep when near and overloaded. I had my gaming PC and Plex server hooked up to my 1350 for a short while when the UPS for the Plex Server failed and if I was gaming on my 4790K/1080Ti setup and the i7 4770 based Plex Server was processing something the UPS would start beeping and the PowerChute program would keep popping up letting me know I was near capacity.
The 1500 series from APC and Cyberpower are around 900 watts.
For reference, my 5800X and 3080 FTW3 system would pull 450-500 watts from the wall when playing the new Battlefield game.
I have 2 of these APC units,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY6FXMM
and an older model of this Cyberpower unit,
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK

This Cyberpower 1500 is 1000 watts,
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19W

Last edited:
A 1500VA UPS is the correct choice for this application.

Don't plan to run on power for too long, just long enough to save files and shut down the computer.

How do I check my system draw under load?
get something like this,
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU
1674669140522.png

Don't buy a new one. Look for one with dead batteries for next to nothing and replace the dead batteries with lithium batteries. They will last years longer and you can get more run time out of the same size battery.

I got so tiered of trying battery replaces in APC units, they usually blow their board on 2nd replace or perhaps earlier. You can save money, just don't expect "quality" to allow continued use. Obviously, YMMV.

I got so tiered of trying battery replaces in APC units, they usually blow their board on 2nd replace or perhaps earlier. You can save money, just don't expect "quality" to allow continued use. Obviously, YMMV.

UPSes die on battery change because people let them go far too long on dead batteries, which damages the charging circuitry. If the old batteries lose a cell or two, or you have multiple batteries in series and one or more drops out, it'll put a heavy load on the UPS for an extended period of time and make it fail.

This is why preventative battery changes are so important. Don't let the UPS run the dead batteries until it detects a problem, because by then, it's way too late. Change them every 4 years at most, especially with shitty modern SLA batteries. They don't make them like they used to.

UPSes die on battery change because people let them go far too long on dead batteries, which damages the charging circuitry. If the old batteries lose a cell or two, or you have multiple batteries in series and one or more drops out, it'll put a heavy load on the UPS for an extended period of time and make it fail.

This is why preventative battery changes are so important. Don't let the UPS run the dead batteries until it detects a problem, because by then, it's way too late. Change them every 4 years at most, especially with shitty modern SLA batteries. They don't make them like they used to.
But in all fairness, most "home users" are going to wait until the UPS screams at them.

But in all fairness, most "home users" are going to wait until the UPS screams at them.

And they generally learn their lesson by the financial pain caused by replacing a dead unit from lack of maintenance. Larger UPS units in the 1000-1500VA range can go for upwards of $800, when just replacing the batteries every four years is only around $100.

Of course, there are the people that have enough disposable income and don't care about maintaining anything.

Back