Best SSD for Gaming

vortexware

Weaksauce
What are the top 5 best SSD's for gaming? I have always used Samsung EVO's, are they still the best or is there competition nowadays?

WD 850X
990 Pro
WD 850
980 Pro
Rocket 4 Plus
but I doubt you will notice a difference from these vs fast Gen 3 drives and slower Gen 4 drives, or even SATA SSD's

Those are mostly M2 SSD's, i was thinking more regular SSD's
Crucial MX500 is hard to beat for $61 tb. $130 for 2tb also on Amazon. You also have the Samsung Evo 870 which is more expensive. There will be no discernment in the performance between the two.

If you think the DriectStorage 1.1 will matter in the future, then invest on a decent m.2, if you dont think it matters, i would go with biggest Sata SSD you can afford.

Gotcha, eventually i will go to an M02, but for now i rather stick to my regular SSD's

If you think the DriectStorage 1.1 will matter in the future, then invest on a decent m.2, if you dont think it matters, i would go with biggest Sata SSD you can afford.

By m.2, I'm guessing you mean NVMe. Please be clear, as m.2 can also be SATA.

Also, there is little reason to go with a SATA SSD anymore. A typical PCIe 3 NVMe unit has only a marginal price premium anymore (e.g., currently on Amazon the 2TB SK Hynix p31 is only ~$18 more than the Crucial MX500 and actually ~$20 cheaper than the Samsung 870 Evo). Probably the only instance I'd pick SATA over NVMe is for the primary drive for an older PC that can't boot from the latter.

Gotcha, eventually i will go to an M02, but for now i rather stick to my regular SSD's

If you have a free m.2 slot, there's little reason to go with a regular SATA connection/2.5" form-factor.

WD 850X
990 Pro
WD 850
980 Pro
Rocket 4 Plus
but I doubt you will notice a difference from these vs fast Gen 3 drives and slower Gen 4 drives, or even SATA SSD's
The Corsair MP600 PRO is also another one. The last gaming review I saw had 990 Pro, SN850X and MP600 being the fastest 3 overall.

any SSD that isn't dramless kingston UV500 (i buy UV400/500 a lot) or crucial MX500 or any samsung EVO if your looking at SATA

i would recommend NVME for boot drive (like 250-500GB) or just blow all your money on a 2TB NVME SSD and spit it as 150GB/1700GB+

NVME does not make games load faster or run any smoother then a SATA SSD (apart from when installing games or updating them)

Samsung EVO's are still considered one of the best SSDs for gaming, but there is more competition in the market now, and other options such as Crucial, Kingston, WD and Adata are also considered to be great choices.

I have one of those Samsung 2TB QVO drives and it writes at HDD speeds once it runs out of cache, I think it probably has 8GB or so of cache.

Samsung 2TB QVO Write Speed Drop.jpg

I went with all WD SN850X (3x2TB, 4TB) in my new build. These babies are screaming fast. Western Digital still has the 2TB drives on sale for $160 each.

For gaming? They're almost all the same. Write speeds aren't important for gaming, and almost zero games on the market take advantage of read speeds and latencies faster than SATA.

Plus, it depends on the game. Even *if* a faster SSD would make my Valorant map load up literally instantly, I still have to wait on my teammates and the other team to finish loading before I actually get to play.

Reactions: uOpt
like this
Back