Best or some of the best Android smartphone ?

I like my 6 Pro. What's your beef with it?
I guess I just expected more from it? I went from a p20 pro and before that a pixel 2 XL. While I loved the XL, the camera was hit garbage considering the p20 pro was launched around the same time and blew it out of the water. The Pixel 6 is slightly better, but 4 gens newer.

Even with the new updates and some changes to apps, the battery is shit. At first I didn't really think so, but most days I don't get an entire day out of it AND I can't use it for 8 hours a day while at work (facility requirement). So 8 hours less use a day and still dying before bed.

Lastly, and probably the biggest issue for me, is the screen is absolutely useless if my hands are wet. Might seem like a weird complaint, but occasionally I have wet hands (dishes, raining, whatever) and I need to use it and the screen will just start pressing all over, even in locations that water isn't, and I'm not touching.

So, lackluster features after 4 gens, shit battery and over active screen when wet. Otherwise? It's a flagship phone, but there are plenty of other flagships out there.

I guess I just expected more from it? I went from a p20 pro and before that a pixel 2 XL. While I loved the XL, the camera was hit garbage considering the p20 pro was launched around the same time and blew it out of the water. The Pixel 6 is slightly better, but 4 gens newer.

Even with the new updates and some changes to apps, the battery is shit. At first I didn't really think so, but most days I don't get an entire day out of it AND I can't use it for 8 hours a day while at work (facility requirement). So 8 hours less use a day and still dying before bed.

Lastly, and probably the biggest issue for me, is the screen is absolutely useless if my hands are wet. Might seem like a weird complaint, but occasionally I have wet hands (dishes, raining, whatever) and I need to use it and the screen will just start pressing all over, even in locations that water isn't, and I'm not touching.

So, lackluster features after 4 gens, shit battery and over active screen when wet. Otherwise? It's a flagship phone, but there are plenty of other flagships out there.
Well, I haven't had to use mine with wet hands, but I agree on battery life. I usually get through each day with 25% to 35% left. Ain't great, but it's good enough for me.

Google, Samsung, and Sony. I love Sony's newer phones, they're just too expensive for the lack of software support they provide compared to the other two.

Have you considered looking at ASUS ROG's smartphones? I currently have the latest ROG 6 and I love it so far. Good battery life, fast charging and has a fast CPU and a max refresh rate of 165Hz.

Much better than the last two Android phones I've had which was the Pixel 4XL and Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Have you considered looking at ASUS ROG's smartphones? I currently have the latest ROG 6 and I love it so far. Good battery life, fast charging and has a fast CPU and a max refresh rate of 165Hz.

Much better than the last two Android phones I've had which was the Pixel 4XL and Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Thanks.

I know Pixel phones but what else ?

I tried the Galaxy S22+ for a few weeks and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It strikes me as a good balance in size, performance and price. And for a 6.6-inch phone, it's surprisingly manageable (not a one-handed phone, but not an unwieldy beast, either). Samsung is still heavy-handed with its attempt to pitch its own apps and services, but it's not nearly as bad as it was even a few years ago, and OneUI seems fine enough to me. I'm certainly more open to Samsung now that it's offering OS updates for longer than even Google.

Besides that and Pixels, it's not easy. Most of the best Android phones beyond Google and Samsung are either very pricey (ASUS and Sony come to mind) or have to be imported (the Xiaomi 12 series, for example). In North America, at least, we're seeing a repeat of what has happened with PCs, tablets and even smartwatches; Apple claims the high end, while others battle for what's left.

Does no one do OnePlus any more?

In any case, I'm yet another Pixel guy, and I like my P6Pro. Also note, Pixel 7 is just about to announce, likely worth a look.

In any case, I'm yet another Pixel guy, and I like my P6Pro. Also note, Pixel 7 is just about to announce, likely worth a look.
Sadly they went to shit when parent oppo killed oxygen os. Now it's just a skinned version of color OS which is Chinese based vs the old old school oxygen os

As others said sadly they lost their way a bit by scrubbing all lower cost options and then when the new parent played with their OS ... :(
I went back to Samsung for the S22 when I replaced my OnePlus 5T this year.

The Android landscape feels like it's decaying in some respects. Yes, there are expanding Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Oppo, but outside of their core markets the options are generally getting worse, not better. OnePlus lost its way, as you know, but we've also seen LG bow out, Sony limit itself largely to high-end devices, and Motorola struggle to make compelling phones beyond the budget market. So if you want a nice-but-not-extravagant phone, you're basically limited to Samsung or Google in places like North America.

Yeah, you're right Aurelius. Google's way of doing things is better when there's competition. I've been living in the Nexus/Pixel semi-walled garden since the start. Honestly I've been pretty happy with them, but improved competition would make them even better.

If I'm honest, I still miss my Palm Pre. ... Stop laughing. 😉

Yeah, you're right Aurelius. Google's way of doing things is better when there's competition. I've been living in the Nexus/Pixel semi-walled garden since the start. Honestly I've been pretty happy with them, but improved competition would make them even better.

If I'm honest, I still miss my Palm Pre. ... Stop laughing. 😉
Hey, I remember enjoying the times I tried the Pre. And the Pixi was a fun phone that was surprisingly easy to type on despite the tiny keys. I'd have loved an alternate future where webOS took off and a Palm Pre 14 was just as viable as an iPhone 14 Pro or Galaxy S22.

As a side note, Palm was very much the victim of a 2009-era Verizon that still felt it should choose which phone brands succeeded or failed. It decided the Motorola Droid would be its "iPhone killer" and snubbed everyone else. Hell, I remember that Verizon timed the BlackBerry Storm 2 launch for the same day as the (much more heavily publicized) Droid — basically a giant middle finger to RIM for botching the original Storm.

Hey, I remember enjoying the times I tried the Pre. And the Pixi was a fun phone that was surprisingly easy to type on despite the tiny keys. I'd have loved an alternate future where webOS took off and a Palm Pre 14 was just as viable as an iPhone 14 Pro or Galaxy S22.

As a side note, Palm was very much the victim of a 2009-era Verizon that still felt it should choose which phone brands succeeded or failed. It decided the Motorola Droid would be its "iPhone killer" and snubbed everyone else. Hell, I remember that Verizon timed the BlackBerry Storm 2 launch for the same day as the (much more heavily publicized) Droid — basically a giant middle finger to RIM for botching the original Storm.
Yup, 💯 on Verizon screwing 'em. And HP. I was happy to see a lot of the great ideas from webOS make their way into iOS and Android eventually, at least.

The Android landscape feels like it's decaying in some respects. Yes, there are expanding Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Oppo, but outside of their core markets the options are generally getting worse, not better. OnePlus lost its way, as you know, but we've also seen LG bow out, Sony limit itself largely to high-end devices, and Motorola struggle to make compelling phones beyond the budget market. So if you want a nice-but-not-extravagant phone, you're basically limited to Samsung or Google in places like North America.
This is 100% true for NA market

I wouldn't say Moto is struggling at all. In fact they are producing a lot of phones with basically all the features most people want or need in a phone or more. The lower price is exactly why I went for one and the sole reason I will never overpay for a phone ever again. Moto is the king of value right now.

Actually Moto mid range phones are really nice for the money. And they don't have the problem of software bloat like all Samsungs do.

Actually Moto mid range phones are really nice for the money. And they don't have the problem of software bloat like all Samsungs do.
Honestly with Google moving into that 400-500$ range that leave moto for where the cheaper smaller 3a and 4a used to be at

I wouldn't say Moto is struggling at all. In fact they are producing a lot of phones with basically all the features most people want or need in a phone or more. The lower price is exactly why I went for one and the sole reason I will never overpay for a phone ever again. Moto is the king of value right now.
I didn't say Motorola was struggling in general — I was just saying that it can't seem to make a great higher-end phone with the camera quality and performance you'd want. The Edge family is decent, but I'd have a hard time recommending it over the Pixel 6, base S22 or iPhone 13/14. At the mid-range or below, Moto is a better proposition.

Motorola's software update policy is pitiful usually also. For that reason alone, I generally choose the "A" variant pixels in the midrange. Samsung's new commitment to updates is promising. My parents got the A53 since it has 4 years worth of updates.

Motorola's software update policy is pitiful usually also. For that reason alone, I generally choose the "A" variant pixels in the midrange. Samsung's new commitment to updates is promising. My parents got the A53 since it has 4 years worth of updates
This is the very reason I will never again get a Motorola phone. Had one years ago and got holding the bag when I found out their software updates are one of the worst.

Do any of the Android phones have flat screens (no curved edges)? Or do they all have curved edges (like my Note 20 Ultra) that I constantly accidentally touch simply while holding onto the phone?

Flat screen edges are one thing I really like about the Apple phones (but I'll never own one).

Fold 4. First android phone I am using long term in a while.
Thinking about getting one: can you type up a short review (just real world user experience, likes & dislikes, how bulky, case, etc)?

I'd be upgrading from a Galaxy S9+ which has been a great phone, but I'm thinking about either a Z 4 or getting a tablet to have a bigger screen for reading/websurfing.

I can look up the stats and 'pay me' reviews all day!

Thinking about getting one: can you type up a short review (just real world user experience, likes & dislikes, how bulky, case, etc)?

I'd be upgrading from a Galaxy S9+ which has been a great phone, but I'm thinking about either a Z 4 or getting a tablet to have a bigger screen for reading/websurfing.

I can look up the stats and 'pay me' reviews all day!
Sure.

Software and UI has been solid. Haven't had any issues whatsoever. Battery life is pretty good, I use it a lot to stream sports games while I am not at home. I do a lot of web browsing and short emails which the experience is excellent. It's usable as a regular phone without opening it but I love the fact that its a mini tablet too. I used to carry 2 iPhones and an iPad 11" now I carry just one iphone and the Fold 4. I could see myself using the fold 4 as my only phone if I wanted to but I need 2 phone lines and iMessage.

It is a bit bulky but its honestly not that bad probably the only real negative. Case wise I have the free case with the s pen and thats ok but the kick stand sucks. I bought a torras one with the metal kick stand and its been really good except that the spring broke but they sent me another one. Havent tried too many other cases. I never use the S pen so I can't give you my opinion on that. I have no regrets about the z fold 4. Like I said its been excellent. I hope that lasts, I bought samsung care for it but hopefully I wont have to use it.

Do any of the Android phones have flat screens (no curved edges)? Or do they all have curved edges (like my Note 20 Ultra) that I constantly accidentally touch simply while holding onto the phone?

Flat screen edges are one thing I really like about the Apple phones (but I'll never own one).
Pixel 7 standard is 100% flat

I've had a few issues with my Alcatel Android11 phone. Never had problems with Android10. But still for best value Alcatel or TCL; However, Samsung tablets are unbeatable.

I've had a few issues with my Alcatel Android11 phone. Never had problems with Android10. But still for best value Alcatel or TCL; However, Samsung tablets are unbeatable.
I'd have to disagree to some extent. As I understand it, the Alcatel/TCL OS version update policy tops out at three years for "Pro" phones, and just one for everything else. I know software upgrades aren't everything, but I don't think we should accept phones whose OS is set in stone long before you're ready to buy a new device. You should be talking about how well your phone runs Android 13 right now, not 11.

Back