best long lasting thermal compound?

see, some of those are ~2, its slightly better ;)

Yeah, that is true. Core #3 (or #2 depending on how you number them) is a real PITA. Every time I improve my cooling, it improves by less than the others. It's also the first one to crap out if I'm testing an overclock.

Maybe I should throw this chip in my toaster oven and try to reflow the indium solder 🤪

Yeah, that is true. Core #3 (or #2 depending on how you number them) is a real PITA. Every time I improve my cooling, it improves by less than the others. It's also the first one to crap out if I'm testing an overclock.

Maybe I should throw this chip in my toaster oven and try to reflow the indium solder 🤪
heat gun might work better. only needs ~135c to melt, so an oven might work... have people baked cpus? just no microwaves, k!

Wow this thread just took off.

The next big thing in paste are the Shenzhen compounds, which are an easier to spread TFX.

SYY-157 and FuzeIce Plus and Maxtor CTG9 seem to be from the exact same factory.
Thick pastes, thicker than Kryonaut Extreme, far thicker than MX-5, but not as thick, and easier to spread than Thermalright TFX. And far less "sticky" than Coolermaster Gel Maker Nano.

Comparing SYY-157 and TFX on my i9 9900k gave a 0C temp difference between them. Just SYY-157 doesn't stick to the spatula as much as TFX.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DQS77Q

This was $11.79 + 15% off for 8 grams (huge bargain) for a few days but the price went a bit up. Still not the same price/gram as MX-5 but performs better.
SYY-157 is FAR Better than MX-5 on laptops (MX-5 is just too runny).

has anybody reviewed those yet?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
best long lasting is "High end thermal pads". it wont match liquid medal but will last forever or the life of the setup

View attachment 365958
Price:$12.95

I have one for my AMD 5900X, and my Intel computer.. I love it! Temps are within spec for my AMD.. and around the same for my Intel as the MX paste.

looks like rebranded mx-4, even the good for 8 years part.
TF8 is miles better than MX-4. Not even close to the same factory. Tf8 is actually good on laptops. MX-4 is hot garbage.
MX-4 (and MX-5) is made in Europe. Thermalright TF8 and TFX are made somewhere possibly in Shenzhen (but not the same plant that makes SYY-157, Halnziye and other pastes).

looks like rebranded mx-4, even the good for 8 years part.
It most certainly is not rebranded mx-4 ;)

I have TF8 and did a lot of research on it, before I bought it.

It performs within a degree or two of Thermal Grizzly. costs less. Very easy to spread. However, because its "wet" and easy to spread, it may not be long lasting, could be prone to "pump out". Thermalright has a TFX (TF10) which potentially performs a little better and is thick. But it seems the quality control on that hasn't been consistent.

IMO, the best long lasting paste is Gelid GC Extreme. Its a little thicker, doesn't pump out. Performs within a degree or two of Thermal Grizzly.

Last edited:
I have some old Athlon XP systems I used Arctic silver 3 on, and it hasnt dried out yet....although I dont use those systems too much. It has lasted 20 or so years though.

I have some old Athlon XP systems I used Arctic silver 3 on, and it hasnt dried out yet....although I dont use those systems too much. It has lasted 20 or so years though.

i have arctic silver 5 on a tiny pc that is hard to dismantle it still works but looking for something to drop temps farther, i have no idea if it is dried out or not because i didnt take it apart.

i have arctic silver 5 on a tiny pc that is hard to dismantle it still works but looking for something to drop temps farther, i have no idea if it is dried out or not because i didnt take it apart.
going from as5 to mx-5 will drop ~3-4c, from my comparisons between as5, mx-4 and mx-5

I've used the IC Graphite Pad on my last 2 builds and I love it. No mess, lasts forever, reusable.

Performance is close to paste. Maybe a few degrees hotter, but still within acceptable limits.

Not sure they would be great for extreme overclocking, but for stock settings they are more than fine.

Thermal Grizzly pumps out at higher temperatures so your temperatures rise after some time. It also slightly scratches the surfaces, bit that is minor. I am having good luck with Noctua NT-H2 now.

Back