Best HDTV for a classroom setup?

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi all, need some advice. At the school I work at, we have SMARTboards and Prometheans in our middle/high school. 1080p/4k...all 65-75 inches. Wireless projection built-in and all the whistles and bells. In our lower school (K-5) we currently use projectors that are either 4x3 or 720p...basically long in the tooth. The teachers hook up thru a roku streaming stick either thru airplay or the built-in roku streaming app for the pc. We had a nice cash donation from a parent that will allow us to outfit the 14 classrooms with HDTVs. We don't need the full interaction that the SMARTboards provide but I do want the good streaming capability from PC/MAC to the new TV. We have about $850 per classroom to spend. I am not worried about WiFi as our Wireless system is really robust. We have eliminated 2.4GHz from most of our campus except for our guest network because I found out that streaming in a school with a 2.4GHz systems isn't feasible. But our 5GHz system rocks with great reception.

SO my question is this: What type of HDTV recommend in my situation for our classrooms? Our teachers have either Lenovo THinkpads (Purchased within the last two years with 16GB of ram) Microsoft Surface 7/8 or MacBook Pros (3 years old or less) also hooking up their class ipads as well. We are not looking for a bang for the buck, nor the most expensive.

All advice appreciated.

In a classroom environment. I would look for Tv with the best Anti-reflective coating and viewing angle with good brightness. rtings is a good site to check the specs as they buy all their test TVs instead of getting them from varies manufacturers for review.

You can't beat OLED for viewing angle but they're highly reflective with poor brightness and are generally more expensive than what your budget will allow.

So your choice is basically down to traditional LCD/LED TVs

Click on any of categories on this page and you can see the best performers in that category. Then you can look through them to find one that fit your budget (for viewing angle, you won't get the top tier, you'll be looking at TV with viewing angle rating in the 5-6 range but you still won't have many choices within your budget.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests

For a 65" Take a look at the Hisense 65U6G. one of the few budget TV that scores well in most area (8.0 or higher), Good native contrast, handles reflections well, decent brightness and definitely above average cost/performance wise at $699. Viewing angle is a bit narrow so it depends on the positioning, room size and layout.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u6g

Last edited:
Back