Best cooler for 5800x

Pivo504

2[H]4U
What would you guys say is the best possible cooler for a 5800x cpu?

Fill every fan slot with push/pull hwlabs gtr radiators. Then maybe toss in some of those external moras I hear about for good measure.

Edit - aw, a tad too late with my post lol. Biggest aio you can fit.

Edit 2 - looks like either a 360 or 280 in the top.

What are the good ones nowadays? Years and years ago when I used AIOs, I remember the Nzxt krakens being top of the pile. Fans supplied matter too I suppose.
the arctic ones, iirc from GN's testing, are top now. kinda ugly though.
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-All-One/dp/B07WP6M7P7
but the diff was only a couple of C.

edit2: these are still on sale: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VKHP9C5?th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=hardforumca-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N16CAKN?th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=hardforumca-20

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was previously running a corsair h100i but changed out the fans with noctuas. So I could reuse those. I don't think I can fit anything bigger.. Load temps with the 5800x were in the 70s. Im guessing this is normal bc these chips run warmer. Will any of the coolers mentioned above be better than my previous AIO?

I used a BeQuiet 240 AIO. Worked fine in my small case, but went back to a giant air cooler just cuz

I was previously running a corsair h100i but changed out the fans with noctuas. So I could reuse those. I don't think I can fit anything bigger.. Load temps with the 5800x were in the 70s. Im guessing this is normal bc these chips run warmer. Will any of the coolers mentioned above be better than my previous AIO?
h100i is 240 and any of the 280/360 ones i posted will be better by a few degrees each step up.

How much better will a 280 or 360 cool a 5800x over what I currently have?

How much better will a 280 or 360 cool a 5800x over what I currently have?
it depends on how you run it. if you compare them at full blast it will probably be between 4-6c better, maybe a bit more. or you will be able to run a 280 a bit slower and quieter but have the same temps. you may even end up with same temps but higher boost on the chip.

What is considered the best 280 cooler in terms of longevity, quality, and cooling?

What is considered the best 280 cooler in terms of longevity, quality, and cooling?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're not going to build your own loop, then probably the Arctic Cooling AIO pendragon1 listed above would be the "best." GN did a review where technically the Lian Li Galahad was the best but much louder than either the AC Liquid Freezer II or the EK AIO. I have an EK AIO and it works as expected in my case. I would buy it again. I would have bought the AC LF2, but it was OOS when I went to buy.

I am currently using an H115 with my 5800x in a Corsair Air 740. low 70's at 100% load, 60's while gaming. Seems fine to me.

Currently using a 480 rad single loop with my 5800X. Have a 2nd 480 rad collecting dust on the shelf. Will probably add that to the loop for the new video card. Will most likely swap cases tho as the Primo only has room for 1 480 rad.

I run my 5800x bone stock with a Hyper 212 black with a push/pull fan pair. No issues ever. I'm sure some will think that it's a bit of a underwhelming solution for a 5800x, but I only ever game on my desktop. I don't think I've ever seen the CPU maxed out unless I'm running a synthetic benchmark so I'm not really worried about it.

I run my 5800x bone stock with a Hyper 212 black with a push/pull fan pair. No issues ever. I'm sure some will think that it's a bit of a underwhelming solution for a 5800x, but I only ever game on my desktop. I don't think I've ever seen the CPU maxed out unless I'm running a synthetic benchmark so I'm not really worried about it.

The only time my 5800X gets to 90C (using a Scythe Mugen 5 w/ 2 fans) is just after the first pass of C23 multicore. Since I don't render on that computer I consider it an edge case and leave it as-is, but I would definitely go with water (and/or play with PBO/voltages/CTR) if I was using it for that purpose.

Honestly, I would recommend Thermalright FC140. I do not have a 5800X, but I do have a 5600X and 5900X, and my CPU's do very well with it. It would be highly competitive to an AIO. One thing to note is that my cooler gets plenty of fresh air, just like an AIO would if using outside air.

Honestly, I would recommend Thermalright FC140. I do not have a 5800X, but I do have a 5600X and 5900X, and my CPU's do very well with it. It would be highly competitive to an AIO. One thing to note is that my cooler gets plenty of fresh air, just like an AIO would if using outside air.
I personally advise Scythe Fuma 2 over Thermalright, thanks to one advantage - compatibility with RAM sticks. Fuma 2 is not limiting RAM clearance - its not symethrical.

I personally advise Scythe Fuma 2 over Thermalright, thanks to one advantage - compatibility with RAM sticks. Fuma 2 is not limiting RAM clearance - its not symethrical.
What ram does it not work with? I can slide my 4 Tridents in no problem.

What ram does it not work with? I can slide my 4 Tridents in no problem.
That's fine - but there is no problem with fan installation? In symmetrical coolers user usually need to mount fan above ram sticks, making whole tower higher.

What do you guys think of the EVGA CLC 280mm All-In-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler, 2x FX13 140mm PWM Fans, Intel, AMD, 5 YR Warranty, 400-HY-CL28-V1? Is it as good as the corsair AIO of equal size?

What do you guys think of the EVGA CLC 280mm All-In-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler, 2x FX13 140mm PWM Fans, Intel, AMD, 5 YR Warranty, 400-HY-CL28-V1? Is it as good as the corsair AIO of equal size?
theyre basically the same, evga fans are slightly louder at full speed.

theyre basically the same, evga fans are slightly louder at full speed.
Can the evga fans on the 280 or 360 be swapped out for the noctua ones? That's what I did on my corsair 240mm AIO bc the corsair fans were noisy.
Just wondering why the evga AIO is so cheap compared to corsair. It's it equal in performance and quality?

Last edited:
Can the evga fans on the 280 or 360 be swapped out for the noctua ones? That's what I did on my corsair 240mm AIO bc the corsair fans were noisy.
Just wondering why the evga AIO is so cheap compared to corsair. It's it equal in performance and quality?

You can swap the fans if you want quietness. The stock fans are almost like deltas. They don't sound bad, but you can always hear them no matter how slow you run them. It would get on my nerves, but my sister's and my son's machines have been running the stock EVGA fans for the past 2 years, and they don't seem to mind at all. I've offered to swap them for some Arctic fans, but they're not interested.

Are the
You can swap the fans if you want quietness. The stock fans are almost like deltas. They don't sound bad, but you can always hear them no matter how slow you run them. It would get on my nerves, but my sister's and my son's machines have been running the stock EVGA fans for the past 2 years, and they don't seem to mind at all. I've offered to swap them for some Arctic fans, but they're not interested.
Are the artic fans better than noctua? Also you never responded to weather the evga is on par with corsair aios?

yes, ok.
idk. basically. one is round one is square, so the round might not be so good for the new intel, thats about it.

yes, ok.
idk. basically. one is round one is square, so the round might not be so good for the new intel, thats about it.
I have an AMD 5800x would the evga cool just as good as the corsair or the one you said above that's the best?

triple 480mm rads with a full custom loop. q is too vague....
Wish you would have written this sooner, should have added one more for my CPU loop :(

IMG_4509.JPG

Back