Best/Cheapest reliable Plat / Titanium PSU for the money?

Retsam

2[H]4U
Starting to shop around for a mining rig with 1 or 2 gpus max. With the current state we are in, many things are sold out or super expensive. What is a good high efficiency quality reliable PSU that would be fine with a couple gpus mining/gaming. This will just a second box for 24/7 operation as a home server as well.

Super Flower Titanium, Evga P2 line, Seasonic Prime? I am partial to Evga because they have good support and my current PSU is a 650w G2 which has been flawless.

Efficiency because of mining is a concern so I do want at least Platinum, if not Titanium. Though Titanium may be overkill.

Noise is also a priority. Typically the high efficient PSUs are low noise anyways.

Anything in the $100-150 area there?

Seasonic, you can't be wrong with them unless you buy some of their cheap power supplies which are using lower cost components.

Starting to shop around for a mining rig with 1 or 2 gpus max. With the current state we are in, many things are sold out or super expensive. What is a good high efficiency quality reliable PSU that would be fine with a couple gpus mining/gaming. This will just a second box for 24/7 operation as a home server as well.

Super Flower Titanium, Evga P2 line, Seasonic Prime? I am partial to Evga because they have good support and my current PSU is a 650w G2 which has been flawless.

Efficiency because of mining is a concern so I do want at least Platinum, if not Titanium. Though Titanium may be overkill.

Noise is also a priority. Typically the high efficient PSUs are low noise anyways.

Anything in the $100-150 area there?

Power supply's are on the up and in somewhat tight supply. You will need to specify how much power you plan on using first.

I thought I stated it in the OP. I plan to mine on/off with 1 GPU, but I may go for 2 GPUs. Which cards I plan to use? I dont know, but I only have a gtx 1080 and rtx 3060ti at the moment....so one of those. Maybe a 3080 if I can get my hands on one. Maybe a AMD 5700 as I have one coming.

Other than that. No gaming will be done on the box. I plan to use some type of lower end CPU in the box so.. Its going to be a 24/7 home file server/ misc box, maybe some plex streaming for movies downstairs. That sort of thing. Its mining that throws a wrench into things. I am going to guess a 750watt Platinum PSU would be fine for a single GPU even up to RTX 3080? I was definitely thinking of a 1000watt psu just to cover my bases until I saw the prices of them. I need it to be under $200 so... I am thinking right now a 750 or 850 watt platinum or maybe titanium for efficiency.

I would love to spend $150 or less for one.

You're going to spend more on the PSU than you're likely to make back mining. The wattage needed depends on the GPU's you will be using; a pair of 3090's is a very different animal from a pair of 1650's, or even a couple 3060 Ti's. I think you probably would do better to pin down your GPU situation first and then work from there. I doubt that you'll be able to get under $150 for a decent quality unit, though.

https://www.parallelminer.com/product/hp-1200w-platinum-power-supply-110-240v-gpu-mining-psu/

All the PCI-E plugs you'll ever need, 900Watt @ 110V or 1200Watt @ 220V platinum rated PSUs. Pair this with a pico ATX PSU or a small backup ATX PSU to power the motherboard. You can also daisy chain as many of these as you need and they are way more cost effective than buying large or multiple ATX psus (assuming you can deal with the server PSU fan loudness or mod the fans etc)

pitingres depending on how many cards you have mining.. you can make the cost of the PSUs back in under a week right now.

^Awesome intel, legcramp. Thank you. I will need to consider that if I ever decide to make a "real" mining rig (versus just gaming PCs).

I was in your position yesterday, OP. Settled on this because I had some Amazon credit piled up:

CORSAIR HX Series, HX850, 850 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NARQ2QU/

Click "New & Used (11) from $184.99 Prime FREE Delivery" and you can "pre-order" Amazon's stock of the PSU for $184.99 with free shipping (says early March delivery but Amazon usually gets you there quicker). Will handle two cards with ease and Corsair has a pretty easy to obtain 12-pin GPU cable if you opt for official NVIDIA cards down the road...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Seasonic, you can't be wrong with them unless you buy some of their cheap power supplies which are using lower cost components.
My old Corsair AX1200i crapped on me recently and I just picked up a 850w Seasonic focus gold.

Which line is their cheap components? I heard great things about Seasonic so I decided to go with them this time.

My old Corsair AX1200i crapped on me recently and I just picked up a 850w Seasonic focus gold.

Which line is their cheap components? I heard great things about Seasonic so I decided to go with them this time.
Not the gold that's for sure.

I have one here that is branded Seasonic, a smaller semi-fanless 300 watts power supply, but that is clearly not up to usual Seasonic quality.

Yeah I figured gold or higher I should be safe. I just went with the 10yr warranty tbh since if it does crapped out at least I'm cover for at least 10 years.

Back