Best Card for the price @ 2560x1600

Whats the best card available today that can drive most games at 2560x1600 for $350 or less?

Thanks for the info guys!

there is a 2 gig version, but I have heard rumors that the extra memory can't be utilized completely by the card itself, and it some cases slows the card down due to its inherent slower memory clocks compared to the 1 gig version. the 2 gig version would probably be best suited in SLi applications, where the extra memory would be utilized by 2 cards.

save your money, go with the 1 gig version. I have a gtx 285 (1 gig version) running my 3007wfp-hc, and have a very enjoyable gaming experience. I don't play crysis, but I don't slow down in my other games (COD4, COD5, half life, L4D) but those aren't incredibly graphics intensive games, either

HD4890 is your best buy, cheaper and at that res performs better

this is untrue from what I have read, actually the gtx 275 is a closer comparison at this res to the hd4890... and the gtx 285 pulls ahead at this res.. both can be overclocked to meet gtx 285 performancs.. but the gtx 285 can be overclocked as well to win the battle.

The 285's couple frame win is HARDLY worth the extra cost.... The gap between them closes at a higher res.

No... not hands down. They are very similar and perform pretty much on par trading gameplay between each other. And as they arent the same price i say get the 4890

No... not hands down. They are very similar and perform pretty much on par trading gameplay between each other. And as they arent the same price i say get the 4890

What I said was if they were meaning all else being equal. Obviously the 4890 is the better bang-for-the-buck and I would suggest it as well. However, I got a 285 for the price of a 4890 so you never know...

As for "on par trading gameplay," you'll need to provide links to support your evidence. In all of the reviews I've seen, the GTX 285 outperforms the HD 4890 about 90% of the time.

Yep just grab the 285 on sale with free shipping and don't look back. And this comes from a former ATi user. I had ATi powering my system from 2004 to 2007 and loved it. I go with whoever has the best tech for the lowest dollar. ___wOOtskis___)

GTX 285 no doubt. You might be able to find a 280 at near bargain bin prices (for a video card) these days. The 280 worked quite well for my 3008WFP. The only reason I have a 295 is because I got it for just $70 with eVGA's step up.

But if they were the same price, then its the GTX 285 hands down.

Is'nt that self-implied? I don't see how you were adding anything realisitically useful to his decision with this kind of rhetoric. Seem's like you're just being nvidia biased. You ask the guy to provide evidence if you want to believe him yet you just quote that 90% of the reviews show the 4850 winning without any yourself. That little fact isn't neccessary especially if you consider the gain in performance you get is marginal but the cost for that gain is exponential.

Is'nt that self-implied? I don't see how you were adding anything realisitically useful to his decision with this kind of rhetoric. Seem's like you're just being nvidia biased. You ask the guy to provide evidence if you want to believe him yet you just quote that 90% of the reviews show the 4850 winning without any yourself. That little fact isn't neccessary especially if you consider the gain in performance you get is marginal but the cost for that gain is exponential.

Have you read the very first original post? It asks which card is best at 2560x1600 for less than $350. It makes no mention of price or any such factors. I did explicitly mention that the 4890 is the better price-to-performance purchase but all else being equal the GTX 285 wins.

Here are several articles outlining the performance of the 285 relative to the 4890:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd4890_8.html
http://hothardware.com/Articles/ATI-Radeon-HD-4890-RV790-Unveiled/?page=5
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2344299,00.asp

It's interesting how I'm Nvidia biased when I just stated a fact and am using an ATI card myself. Satisfied with this rhetoric?

Back