Best Buy 8TB Easystore $119

Good find! I expect the prices to drop since the 12TB were on sale just a bit ago. Seems like the days of storage for cheap are here. :)

I'd get in on this, but I just bought 2 * 8TB from Amazon for $125 ea. with 15% back.... I hope these are regularly $100 ea within the next year.

I think these prices will become regular once the demand for smaller sized drives fizzles out to the point where people will pay a premium for them (ie, need a specific size for xxx application). But at this point, why charge less when you can charge more, lol.

I could use one more but currently broke. Best price to date I believe on these.

Can anyone speak from experience the lifespan of these drives? The Amazon reviews are all over the place which has made me a bit cynical about purchasing one of these?

Can anyone speak from experience the lifespan of these drives? The Amazon reviews are all over the place which has made me a bit cynical about purchasing one of these?
MANY people use them . Not sure I have ever read a report of one failing. Of course they have, but it is definitely not some issue that is brought up.

Reactions: Ski
like this
No longer are people getting reds in these though. I have 3 reds I bought from these 2 years ago for $124.99 each.

Aren't the Elements drives considered better overall?
I think these have a better warranty. The drives are basically the same between both, these are the Best Buy exclusive. They fluctuate between different versions of whites.

Last I read whites are just relabeled reds, a way for WD to have some product differentiation.

can't comment on the white label ones but all the reds i have are still running perfectly fine since i got them 2 years ago. from my experience they seem to be more sensitive to the sata cables you use. i had issues with windows detecting a couple of the drives randomly when rebooting when i first got them using the sata cables that came with my asrock board(cables worked fine with the other drives these ones replaced). ended up using the extra cables from another board/system i had and had no issues after that.

Well at the bare minimum you have the 1 year warranty I believe.

Now in regards to this hdd (specifically the white-labeled), honestly nothing concrete that these drives are exactly the same as a Red. Bunch of theories floating around the webs that this was relabeled reds, then it was that these drives were WD RED fails. Firmware labels matched etc etc. Again nothing from WD to verify that these drives are REDs, nor do they come with a WD backed RED warranty.

All in all if you are buying this to use as an external, its great. If you want something cheaper, dont care of brand-historic fail rates, and dont mind SMR, pick up a seagate for less.

internal PC drive or RAID I assume you know what the 3 2 1 backup rule and know how to stress test a HDD before putting data on it,so purchase away, best bang for buck on this community assumed RED drive. better for price then choosing a WD blue drive or worse.

-----------------
Note to those who are real about warranties, warranties on HDDs are about how much effort you want to put in. Im more about fail rates, then warranty periods, since as a regular non prosumer you are gonna have to pay them for essentially a refurb hdd.....

Aren't the Elements drives considered better overall?

I think these have a better warranty. The drives are basically the same between both, these are the Best Buy exclusive. They fluctuate between different versions of whites.

Last I read whites are just relabeled reds, a way for WD to have some product differentiation.

They are the same drives in each and both have the same 2 year warranty.
The MyBook also has the same drive and comes with a 3 year warranty, same as a retail Red.

I am pretty sure WD went with the white labels to stop people from shucking the drives and trying to sell them as retail Red drives.
My first 8TB Easytore is a Red label and the others that I shucked for friends were white label.

They are the same drives in each and both have the same 2 year warranty.
The MyBook also has the same drive and comes with a 3 year warranty, same as a retail Red.

I am pretty sure WD went with the white labels to stop people from shucking the drives and trying to sell them as retail Red drives.
My first 8TB Easytore is a Red label and the others that I shucked for friends were white label.
Thanks for the clarification and I agree. They probably were worried about sales of standard reds when shucking became so popular.

I usually get them a little less than the sale price through my business account but either way it's an absolute deal when they are on sale. I got 4x10TB recently will probably grab a couple more this season....

Like an idiot I forgot to jump on the 12tb deal a week ago. Hoping it gets back to that level again and will grab one for sure. Just need a large drive to keep rips on as I do them and then transfer in large batches to my NAS. This would allow me to go from 3 smaller drives to just one which would be nice.

Just to throw these all in one place...

8TB lowest at $120
10TB lowest at $160
12TB lowest at $180
And to add some data to make the comparison easier
8TB $15/TB
10TB $16/TB
12TB $15/TB

And all this tells me is when I'm picking off enterprise grade 2TB at $35/ea that I'm doing pretty well on my price per TB, except I'm getting a much better drive.

And to add some data to make the comparison easier
8TB $15/TB
10TB $16/TB
12TB $15/TB

And all this tells me is when I'm picking off enterprise grade 2TB at $35/ea that I'm doing pretty well on my price per TB, except I'm getting a much better drive.
I've been able to snag SAS HGST 8TB for $125/ea shipped, I picked up 4 for parity drives been solid so far.

If you plan on buying anything from best buy, and have absolutely no rush, just wait till BF. all those pre bf prices are going to come back. heck, even after BF, these prices came back. So dont overpay.

Amazon is showing me a 15% 'back' (refund on monthly statement) w/ Prime card on the 8TB Elements @ $125 bringing it to ~$106 good til Dec 22nd, so if they drop it to $120 to match anyone else it'll be even sweeter.

Although it doesn't show in the complete Deals list the %15 appears to apply to all the Elements drives they have on hand except the 3TB model. They don't have the 12TB in stock.

Last edited:
I've been able to snag SAS HGST 8TB for $125/ea shipped, I picked up 4 for parity drives been solid so far.
Nice! I've seen those type of deals too. And there's never a question on what type of reliability you're getting with sas. :)

Back