Best bang for the $? 5500 vs 5600 vs 5600X vs 3600X for OFFICE work loads

1. You should try it, I encourage you :D

2. If you can set the PBO with individual core using CO, then you are set already, no need to push the all core overclock as it will stress your cooler.

AFAIK, the multiplier / BCLK oc will not suck more power or generate more heat compared to PBO + CO, though.
That multi / BCLK oc power can be controlled via power option in windows to drop the core speed and vcore, the same way you use PBO + CO.
Thanks Riev! Ok, I'll do it. I don't have b-die memory and I had to go through hell to even get this system to post with this memory. I'm a bit afraid. Apparently B350 boards are very picky. I had to return two newer noname kits and I managed to get it to post and set xmp with an older corsair vengeance kit. PC3200 16-20-20-58 1.35v v4.32. I also read that the latest bios broke ram oc for many people. Like they could do 3600 with this kit and then they couldn't after an update. I need to run the latest bios for the ryzen 5500. I think I've got like Samsung C-die. I hear it doesn't like overvolting. People OC this kit at stock voltage. Some even drop 0.01V and get ahead by doing so. Hehe. No idea if Asrock will allow 0.01v increments.

Would you aim at lowering the timings at 3200 or would you push 3600 first? Remember I'm not on B-die so I can't touch the sky with those crazy numbers. Ha!

It's actually running pbo+co with a bclk overclock. That's how I boost to 4.55GHz. I saw some people write that they couldn't do it (if memory serves). Like their motherboard disables pbo if they touch the other settings. Not on this Asrock AB350.

However my system becomes unstable over 102.25MHz bclk so even if I get a better binned 5500 it's kind of useless. I can only use it with a fixed multiplier, seems. Pity, because there are 5500 chips that will do 4700-4800MHz but there's no way to do that with PBO unless you have a system that can do a crazy bclk like 106-108.

I'm using an ID-cooling 50X. I set the fan curve so it ramps to 100% quickly when it gets hot, and 45% idle. I don't game so I don't have the problem of that thing just buzzing at 100% for prolonged periods. This way I top out below 95C. Like 90C. At 70C I'm at around 75% of max rpm. I've considered swapping the fan with a P12 or Gentle Typhoon that's more efficient. Using GC-extreme paste which isn't the worst. I know people don't like numbers like 90C and 1.4v. It's a cheap chip so I'm fine with risking it.

I really appreciate your time in reading and commenting. I'd love to know more about your build if you've got a post somewhere describing it.

I will reply one by one:

Thanks Riev! Ok, I'll do it. I don't have b-die memory and I had to go through hell to even get this system to post with this memory. I'm a bit afraid. Apparently B350 boards are very picky. I had to return two newer noname kits and I managed to get it to post and set xmp with an older corsair vengeance kit. PC3200 16-20-20-58 1.35v v4.32. I also read that the latest bios broke ram oc for many people. Like they could do 3600 with this kit and then they couldn't after an update. I need to run the latest bios for the ryzen 5500. I think I've got like Samsung C-die. I hear it doesn't like overvolting. People OC this kit at stock voltage. Some even drop 0.01V and get ahead by doing so. Hehe. No idea if Asrock will allow 0.01v increments.
Asrock low end mobo usually can do vdimm in 0.05 increament.
That 3200 16-20-20 probably has micron chip (low binned), usually for ryzen 3000, that chip can only do cas 18, but with cezanne chip, it can do CAS 16 (due to better IMC of cezanne chip).

Regarding bios, if your current's is stable, then you don't need to do bios update, except if you have plan to upgrade to x3d.

Would you aim at lowering the timings at 3200 or would you push 3600 first? Remember I'm not on B-die so I can't touch the sky with those crazy numbers. Ha!
I would try 3400 18-22-18-18 @1.35v with other sub timings set to auto.
If it can boot, then you may try at 3600 with same primary timings and vdimm. Set the volt Soc to 1.15v

However my system becomes unstable over 102.25MHz bclk so even if I get a better binned 5500 it's kind of useless. I can only use it with a fixed multiplier, seems. Pity, because there are 5500 chips that will do 4700-4800MHz but there's no way to do that with PBO unless you have a system that can do a crazy bclk like 106-108.
BCLK oc not limited by mobo (as the mobo has high limit), but the chip / procie itself.
usually for ryzen, more on than 102 will introduce instability or not booting at all.

I'm using an ID-cooling 50X. I set the fan curve so it ramps to 100% quickly when it gets hot, and 45% idle. I don't game so I don't have the problem of that thing just buzzing at 100% for prolonged periods. This way I top out below 95C. Like 90C. At 70C I'm at around 75% of max rpm. I've considered swapping the fan with a P12 or Gentle Typhoon that's more efficient. Using GC-extreme paste which isn't the worst. I know people don't like numbers like 90C and 1.4v. It's a cheap chip so I'm fine with risking it.

I really appreciate your time in reading and commenting. I'd love to know more about your build if you've got a post somewhere describing it.
Honestly, I will try to keep the procie under 90c and under 1.35v for daily use. It may not cause heavy damage to the silicon but it will degrade it a bit faster (maybe in one year the procie can no longer do 4.55mhz, and it will need higher vcore to maintain the oc).
You can change the fan to P12 as at 100%, it's still very silent (I have 2 of P12 and both run very silent).

Back