Best 40 inch+ 4k monitor for programming now?

vmsx

n00b
I'm still rocking my Crossover 404k from 2015. It sucks for games and is less than ideal for most things - except for incredibly sharp high contrast, deep black text.
The Philips Computer Monitor BDM4037UW interested me a year or two ago, being similar and curved, but it appears it's gone now.
I don't see any 40"+ 4k VA monitors on the market anymore. Is there one? I suppose IPS could do but I doubt the text will be as crisp.

Thoughts/suggestions that maximize crisp high contrast text and deep black color?

I'm not sure there are any 40" panels left on the market. There are a handful of 43" panels out there of varying quality. If you can't do 43" though, you're probably limited to old 40" panels or a 32" monitor.

Well if you really want to maximize contrast and blacks OLED is an option. I use a 48" LG CX and I really like programming on it. I use dark mode though so it's light text on a dark background.

And it's actually good for gaming if you want to do that too

I would not recommend the LG CX 48" for programming even though I use it for that. I don't find it great trying to run at 100% scaling.

There are unfortunately no 40" models out there unless you go for one of the 5120x2160 ultrawide ones. That would be my pick but they are pricy and 60 Hz only if that matters, not great for gaming either but might perform better than your current one.

Nobody mention this one from the popular thread. This has a 4000:1 contrast ratio with VA panel: GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U. This seems close enough to fit the bill on paper.

Nobody mention this one from the popular thread. This has a 4000:1 contrast ratio with VA panel: GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U. This seems close enough to fit the bill on paper.

Drop by this thread and you can read the good and bad on the FV43U.

https://hardforum.com/threads/gigabyte-aorus-fv43u-43-inch-4k-144-hdr1000-qled-monitor.2009247/

I personally really like mine. There are some compromises that you'll have to live with (not much if you're not a fast FPS game player) but I actually use it for work for the screen real estate and love it. Here's my daily typical desktop.

IMG_9173.jpg

I still have a Crossover 404k as well, and work as a programmer. I've also used a Seiki 30hz 40" model, a Philips 43", and two dell 43"s. But i think the 404K is still the best monitor I've ever used.
It developed some defects: a 120 pixel color band issue on light colors, and a permanent 1-pixel red line, about 3 other dead pixels, and the HDMI stopped working.
If I get something new, I will definitely want 120hz and will probably go with the FV43U, but I doubt that another 40" panel will get produced any time soon.

I still have a Crossover 404k as well, and work as a programmer. I've also used a Seiki 30hz 40" model, a Philips 43", and two dell 43"s. But i think the 404K is still the best monitor I've ever used.
It developed some defects: a 120 pixel color band issue on light colors, and a permanent 1-pixel red line, about 3 other dead pixels, and the HDMI stopped working.
If I get something new, I will definitely want 120hz and will probably go with the FV43U, but I doubt that another 40" panel will get produced any time soon.

Samsung will be releasing the 43" QN90A soon. If you have a GPU with HDMI 2.1 out. That's another valid option.

After testing some of best 32" high color accuracy/wide gamut 32" inches, founding them too small for me, and some 43" ips/va bgr monitors, founding ridiculous their color quality, I've ended with the Sony 43x81J; waiting for the 42" QD panel in 2023 maybe. Sony 43x81J has RGB sub pixel (not BGR like other 43" monitors), IPS panel (not VA), wide color gamut (so nice reds comparing to old tech 43" panels from LG/Samsung), it has no flickering tech with DC (not pwm). If you can live with some disadvantages like no DP or DP usb-c (only 4 hdmi) and semi-gloss panel (not matte) it can do the GREAT job. There is the possibility to order the matte/anti-glare film on Amazon...but I live with it as it is. And moreover you have the TV and all smart TV apps if you need it with the Google TV...acceptable HDR with VERY good SONY color managment chipset X1. Night and day comparing for example with the LG 43UN700-B (I've tested two LGs as I've thought that the first one was broken...not able to fulfil red color..it is on 9000K by default and not possible to go correctly to 6.5K; the second has been the same...when you see Sony and it's 6.5K on Expert mode, you can not go back...it's like BenQ colorworkflow monitor...the dE is also <2, who can calibrate can get it under 1). I have no idea why Sony has no Monitor range...it can be easily done with this 43" RGB wide gamut panel and their actual no pwm driving. Cheers.

Back