Bent pins while installing 13th gen contact plate, the ram is now not working properly

Nebell

2[H]4U
I have no idea how it happened, but the stupidiest thing I've ever done is to buy a contact frame for 13th gen.
The ram I'm using is refusing to work in a1+a2 slots and only in a2+b2 (slot 3 and 4) which is not optimal. It's also a bit less stable when oced.
I tried to straighten them with a needle but it didn't help. Should I expect any other issues besides not being able to upgrade to 64gb?

Actually, the best dimm setup is to install at slot A2 & B2.
The arrangement is like this: CPU socket - A1 - A2 - B1 - B2.

IF you plugged your ram on slot A2 & B2, then it's already the right thing to do.

Actually, the best dimm setup is to install at slot A2 & B2.
The arrangement is like this: CPU socket - A1 - A2 - B1 - B2.

IF you plugged your ram on slot A2 & B2, then it's already the right thing to do.

No, it's in B1 and B2.

I've bent pins before also. I just bought a new much better board and moved on even happier than befores more budget board. The CPU fell from my hands and damaged a lot of pins. I instantly knew the board was scrapped. Lucky yours posted.

I don't know how you could have possibly damaged the pins unless it was removing the old socket retention mechanism which isn't the contact frame's fault. I don't see how you would damage the pins while installing it because the CPU is already in the socket.

In my experience, the thermal advantage is worth the slight risk of installing it. I've done it multiple times on multiple boards and have never damaged anything.

Yeah, if they dropped the CPU on the pins... that might do it. However, the thermal contact frame should have next to nothing to do with the pins getting bent unless they installed the CPU upside down... lol

I did this once, I bought a USB microscope that puts up a BIG image of the pins and then you may be able to fix the pins if they are not broken off.

double check the manual, its not normally side by side like that.

Well, let's say like this (from left to right), slot 1, 2, 3, 4. It's in 3 and 4 :)
The manual says it should be in slot 2 and 4.
If I try:
1 and 3
2 and 4
1 and 2
The motherboard just says "detect memory" and it doesn't post.

I've bent pins before also. I just bought a new much better board and moved on even happier than befores more budget board. The CPU fell from my hands and damaged a lot of pins. I instantly knew the board was scrapped. Lucky yours posted.

Heck now, it's Asus Maximus Z690 Formula. There is no motherboard like that and I'm pretty sure this one is discontinued.

Heck now, it's Asus Maximus Z690 Formula. There is no motherboard like that and I'm pretty sure this one is discontinued.
If it's still under warranty, Asus shall honor it. All you need to do is propose RMA to them.
Usually they will propose replacement to other model or even better, upgrade to Z790 board.

If it's still under warranty, Asus shall honor it. All you need to do is propose RMA to them.
Usually they will propose replacement to other model or even better, upgrade to Z790 board.
Really? Even if I admit I bent the pins? Or is there a better way to deal with it?
It's worth a shot in that case. But I'm not sure I'd want a Z790 board. I have a white/red build and those black boards are not very appealing.

Really? Even if I admit I bent the pins? Or is there a better way to deal with it?
It's worth a shot in that case. But I'm not sure I'd want a Z790 board. I have a white/red build and those black boards are not very appealing.
Try to repair / straighten the bent pin first, very carefully.
And then propose RMA on that board. ;)

Try to repair / straighten the bent pin first, very carefully.
And then propose RMA on that board. ;)

I tried to straighten them but it didn't work out. They looked somewhat straight to be able to have a connection with the cpu, but alas, that was not the case.

The new Z790 Asus boards are soooo nice. I almost got one but ended up with an Aorus Master instead and love it. If you're open to upgrading check them out. That is if you can't fix your pins. I didn't even bother I dropped the CPU on it from 1ft it literally smashed 50 pins sideways haha I chucked it.

That's why you say "It never worked right". Its worth a shot.

Other than that might want to get Furious_Styles involved.

I have had lots of experience, if you can post a pic I may be able to help you out.

I'd love to show to someone who has knowledge to tell me what to do about it, but it would mean disassembling the bloody contact frame again. I might give it a go during the weekend.

The new Z790 Asus boards are soooo nice. I almost got one but ended up with an Aorus Master instead and love it. If you're open to upgrading check them out. That is if you can't fix your pins. I didn't even bother I dropped the CPU on it from 1ft it literally smashed 50 pins sideways haha I chucked it.

Yeah, but this one is white and a very good design with OLED screen on top of that ;)

What happens when you turn off xmp in the bios then install in the slots you are wanting? I have to agree with second poster that A2/B2 is how it should be per manual. I have found trying to disable xmp helps with memory diagnostics.

I'd love to show to someone who has knowledge to tell me what to do about it, but it would mean disassembling the bloody contact frame again. I might give it a go during the weekend.
Yeah I understand. Sometimes you even have to remove the VRM heatsinks to get a better angle when trying to bend the pins back. Not fun.

Yeah, but this one is white and a very good design with OLED screen on top of that ;)
The reason I didn't get one of the Asus boards z790 was because it was white lol can't help you on the screen though lol

I installed a thermalright contact frame. Left the cpu in and it worked wonders for my temps. Sorry your experience went south. They are worth instaling.

Back