BENQ - Worst quality control? Lowest quality panels?

nosketch

n00b
Recently tried buying a xl2720z, and couldn't believe the condition it, and the replacement arrived in.

1st monitor. Large scratch about 4+inches long. Dirty finger prints or smudges from something all over screen. I was lazy and decided not to return it for 3 weeks and during that time 3 white pixels appeared that weren't there at the beginning. (Desktop background is black so easy to see them appear one by one)

2nd monitor. Straight scratch or line of of 3 black pixels not sure (thought they were only white on TN) Had greasy smudges all over the screen that needed to be wiped off like the first. Also kept this monitor until near the end of return policy and 2 white dead pixels showed up over those 3 weeks.

Is it normal for screens to come in that condition? Screens weren't even clean and both had structural damage. Both developed dead pixels very quickly. If 3 dead pixels one one, and 2 on the other showed up in about 3 weeks time, how many would be there in a year?

I have a BenQ XL2411Z default Brightness is a joke I have it on like 10 Brightness it's so washed out...

Where are you purchasing from?

I have one stuck pixel on my xl2720t, but it is away from center and doesn't really catch my eye. But scratches seem like a really weird issue.

Haven't had a lot of experience with them, only owned two and we don't have any at work. Neither of the ones I owned had QC problems. The image quality is pretty meh though on the XL2420T that I have now. Image isn't that stellar, even for a TN. Only reason I keep it around is if I want something really low latency, usually I use a PA301W.

Had 2 BenQ Displays so far (different models) and had to do RMA in both cases.

The 1st one that I had (Benq FP241W 800€), arrived with EXTREME backlight leakage, which was visible even at bright scenes. No Idea how it was approved during QA like that...Prolly by some blind guy.
I RMAed it and a few days later some benq guy came by, took my display and left me a package (which I assumed had a new display in it. He didnt want to stay for me to check if the new display was ok). After I unpacked it, it turned out to be a refurbished/used unit which smelled like cigarettes and had yellow strains from smoke on the bezel :/
I called/emailed them about it, but the answer was, that everything was in accordance to their RMA standards and that I have to deal with it...Well at least the display didnt have flaws this time around (except greasy fingerprints all over it).

The 2nd one i did buy recently (Benq BL3200PT) and it did have, aside from 1 dead subpixel, a group of dark spots on the left display side (an area of ca. 2,5cm/1inch was affected). It was nothing that one couldnt spot during a QA check. The unit prolly was aproved by a blind guy as well. This time around i decided not to go through RMA and sent the display back to the reseller.

To be fair, a lot of companies are no better when it comes to QAing their stuff.
Nowadays you have to be lucky to get a good unit at the first try :/

The main problem is the LCD tech itself, far too unrealiable (dead pixels and backlight uniformity/black level evenness in particular.

The main problem is the LCD tech itself, far too unrealiable (dead pixels and backlight uniformity/black level evenness in particular.

True. I have no uniformity issues here ( well no obvious ones ) Im running an old Panasonic TV with CCFL. It has an 8bit IPS panel too.. the blacks are dark enough, there is little to no IPS glow, there is no bleeding, the colors are great, there is no uniformity issue like LED.. im kind of dreading going to 1440p / 4k as all my other monitors have had good standards using CCFL and all panels now are cheap LED's with no quality control.. unless of course you spend thousands on a NEC,IBM / medial / CAD grade monitor.

I used to be very anti LCD but I bought an ASUS PB248Q a year ago. I thought - what a nice display, IPS has really come far. The colors were great, I didn't even mind the 60 Hz refresh rate, it was 1920x1200, would have been totally happy with it. But then - that nasty IPS glow in the bottom right corner, it was really bad that you could even see it in a daylit room. Completely ruined any dark scenes, it was unacceptable so I had to return it. I was really sad because otherwise it was almost perfect - no dead pixels, good uniformity.

I don't understand why A-TW polarizer isn't a standard nowadays, instead of moving up to that they made everything shittier by using uneven edge-lighting which now on top of IPS glow also adds bad panel uniformity. IPS could've been a really good tech good enough for most people if the polarizer was in nearly every decent display.

Before that I had a Samsung 226BW which was an old TN with not so great colors but had much better uniformity and minimal backlight bleed compared to pretty much every display I see today.

Last edited:
I used to be very anti LCD but I bought an ASUS PB248Q a year ago. I thought - what a nice display, IPS has really come far. The colors were great, I didn't even mind the 60 Hz refresh rate, it was 1920x1200, would have been totally happy with it. But then - that nasty IPS glow in the bottom right corner, it was really bad that you could even see it in a daylit room. Completely ruined any dark scenes, it was unacceptable so I had to return it. I was really sad because otherwise it was almost perfect - no dead pixels, good uniformity.

I don't understand why A-TW polarizer isn't a standard nowadays, instead of moving up to that they made everything shittier by using uneven edge-lighting which now on top of IPS glow also adds bad panel uniformity. IPS could've been a really good tech good enough for most people if the polarizer was in nearly every decent display.

Before that I had a Samsung 226BW which was an old TN with not so great colors but had much better uniformity and minimal backlight bleed compared to pretty much every display I see today.

i just recently bought a oct 2014 pb278q was the R version anyway bottom right corner and 3 more stuck or dead pixels from amazon
My korean pixel perfect DS270s came to me in better condition from korea.

Where are you purchasing from?

Purchased them through Staples Canada and I'm pretty sure they ship them straight from Benq in Toronto. Both were manufactured in October 2014 according to the back label.

What confuses me is my three previous monitors I've bought and used for long periods of time never had any problems and were all perfect. A samsung t260, viewsonic, and lg never had a dead pixel and arrived in perfect condition.

Are new lcd monitors just being made with cheaper parts now?

What I was most concerned about was not the actual damaged condition they arrived in, but the fact they both developed dead pixels so quickly over the 3 weeks I kept them. 3 showing up on one, and 2 on the other over 3 weeks time has me spooked on buying another expensive monitor.

The XL2720Z I received from Amazon had excellent build quality but a very minor scratch on the casing. Nothing to make a big deal about and I sent it back because I wanted a Swift but it would not put me off purchasing a Benq monitor in the future. I actually think they make very good monitors.

A few years ago I bought one from Benq. I will NEVER buy from them ever again. It was a nightmar returning it. Matters not whats in writting. If IF I ever bought a benq monitor it would be through Amazon where I could return it easily.

The colors, brightness are good just not the best. Just look at all the reviews. Its a good monitor just.. pass

BenQ are average.

LG.Display are the worst for panel quality.

Samsung are the best.

I have a BenQ GL2760H Black 27" 2ms that I purchased last November as a "Black Friday" special. For what I use it for, which is a large monitor at work (who won't spring for a 27"), it does a pretty good job. Gaming? Dunno. Biggest complaints I have is that has no displayport connector.

I'm hoping in a year or so to get a good GSync monitor.

I've purchased 3 benq monitors and one projector and all were flawless. All bought in Canada from NCIX.com.

Dell is likely the worst since their monitors suffer from typical quality control issues and usually have exclusive model specific issues even though they use the same panels as other companies.

Any idea we have of quality control is based on anecdotal evidence, though it can be based on a ton of anecdotal evidence, but we do not have enough evidence or access to companies return data to make a definitive conclusion.

Last edited:
I had BL2710PT and it had horizontal Colored banding.

And 2411Z, but the DVI port failed.

Well, Benq own AUO, so they can get the top panels if they want to. They may have crap QC standard, so lesser panel go for sale, who knows.
Dell compete with eizo, nec, hp for panel from LG(mainly), but then dell have sick warranty.

Ah, nothing beats anecdotal evidence, not even credible statistical data...

Back