Been out of the game for a while, have a case question.

Been looking at new cases. Noticing a weird trend. Why are people putting toy figures inside their cases now? When did this become a thing? I think it looks like shit.
I imagine AIO and 3.5 hard drive getting away and pretty much anything else that is not a GPU in computers of people that care about what they look like created lot of empty space to put something in their case.

Putting a picture of your computer to show it is a lot about communicating status thing about yourself, a toy figures is a good way to signals stuff as well.

Been looking at new cases. Noticing a weird trend. Why are people putting toy figures inside their cases now? When did this become a thing? I think it looks like shit.
And I had a bloody fish tank in a computer in the 90's. The fuck is your point?

LOL - wait till you see all the LED crap! it looks like Disneyland on steroids' - but each to their own ;)

I don't get it. My computer case isn't a status symbol to me. It just houses the parts. I prefer as small a case as possible so it can be tucked away with as little light leaking out as I can manage.

Why do you even care. You don't have to put anything you don't want in your PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: tived
like this
1-compubeaver-built-april-2007_gz48.1024.jpg

I don't get it. My computer case isn't a status symbol to me. It just houses the parts. I prefer as small a case as possible so it can be tucked away with as little light leaking out as I can manage.

The fact that you have computer specs in a computer hardware message boards, took time to choose a avatar to show an old game you like and without being asked describe what you computer case look like can give you a window into someone that would signal something with this kind of stuff.

The fact that you have computer specs in a computer hardware message boards, took time to choose a avatar to show an old game you like and without being asked describe what you computer case look like can give you a window into someone that would signal something with this kind of stuff.
I don't know what you are implying. If I have an opinion about computer hardware I should go all out RGB? A list of specs at a computer hardware forum isn't always about status. Sometimes you need help with the hardware you have and post it so people know what you have. At the same token I can take pride in building a nice computer without having to make it shine as if people are going to come to my house to see it.

I don't know what you are implying. If I have an opinion about computer hardware I should go all out RGB? A list of specs at a computer hardware forum isn't always about status. Sometimes you need help with the hardware you have and post it so people know what you have. At the same token I can take pride in building a nice computer without having to make it shine as if people are going to come to my house to see it.
I am really unsure how do you go from what I said to having an opinion == should go all out RGB, I am saying that talking about not liking RGB without being asked is a form of signaling. A list of specs is not always purely about status and signaling, but most of the time yes, typing it that time you are asking a question about an issue being an exception.

I am implying that what made you choose an avatar for a message board with all that was signaling (I am not a noob I playing lucas art games in the mid 90s and so on) is not that different that what make someone put a little Star Wars or God of War toy in a PC with a windows, take a picture of it and post it somewhere, they are very similar thing, coming from very long evolution in humanity that make us want to always signal virtues and build status, almost all unsolicited communication are motivated in good part by that.

When you do not understand an common human action, a trick is to find the most similar action for which you can achieve to understand the incentive, biological reason an human would do this and try to shift, it is rare that you cannot really understand why humans would do something.

Wow this got out of hand quickly

we are here to exchange ideas and sometimes we will not agree

build what you like 👍 it may not be to others taste and that’s ok too.
Just make sure you have fun trying

Back