Basic steps to slightly undervolting my 2080Ti Seahawk EK-X?

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
Hello I would like a few simple tips too help me slightly undervolt my MSI 2080Ti Seahawk EK-X.

I prefer MSI afterburner if possible.

I just want to keep pretty much everything stock except the voltage. If I can get away with decreasing it even a little bit I will be happy & may in turn keep it cooler to allow higher boosts perhaps.

Thank you in advance.

Ps. Been building custom built PCs for over 25 years Overclocking cpus & gpus all the time. I have undervolted all my CPUs but I have never undervolted any of my GPUs. So I want to do it right to avoid any issues. Thanks again.

install AB, turn it down, that simple.
I have afterburber installed. It has a "curve" now that I am not familiar.

What I'm asking is some basic tips how to do it exactly. Like how much decreasing each time? And it will automatically try to decrease the whole curve on Its own? Because right now when I hold cntrl & drag the slider it brings the clock speed down with it the whole curve. I want to leave the clock speed where it is & only undervolt it at the same clock speeds to see how low I can go stable. And is it right on the main program as a slider or in the settings somewhere?

1628709998264.png

i use this skin

1628710016329.png

that slider. nv cards should have it too...

You're most likely not going to see any performance increases on a waterblocked card. Typically your boost clocks are limited by temps and/or voltage. If your temps are low (your case) then you're only going to lower boost by decreasing voltages.

You're most likely not going to see any performance increases on a waterblocked card. Typically your boost clocks are limited by temps and/or voltage. If your temps are low (your case) then you're only going to lower boost by decreasing voltages.

Yea, what I really wanted was to be able to drop a bit of the voltage to decrease the temperatures. Not that I have issues I just wanted to do it to keep it cooler in my computer room. Typically I always run the lowest voltage I can get away with on my CPUs so I wanted to dive into undervolting the GPU a bit because of these hot summer months. Plus I have waited far too long to do this so I would like to accomplish it also.

Yea, what I really wanted was to be able to drop a bit of the voltage to decrease the temperatures. Not that I have issues I just wanted to do it to keep it cooler in my computer room. Typically I always run the lowest voltage I can get away with on my CPUs so I wanted to dive into undervolting the GPU a bit because of these hot summer months. Plus I have waited far too long to do this so I would like to accomplish it also.
Try putting the power limit @ 100% vs. Max and run a stress test and let us know what your temp differences are.

Try putting the power limit @ 100% vs. Max and run a stress test and let us know what your temp differences are.

I will do that in a bit after I can actually access the voltage in a way to decrease it instead of increase it. That way I can conduct more tests to see various results. Interested to see the differences like you are.

Ok I figured it out. On the Volatage/frequency curve editor you can set the max voltage across the board and the max frequency with it also just moving the point (dot) to your desired parameters. Thanks again.

Ok I figured it out. On the Volatage/frequency curve editor you can set the max voltage across the board and the max frequency with it also just moving the point (dot) to your desired parameters. Thanks again.
The 100% cap vs. max power % SHOULD cap your voltage. You can verify by checking the graphs in AB.

I have afterburber installed. It has a "curve" now that I am not familiar.

What I'm asking is some basic tips how to do it exactly. Like how much decreasing each time? And it will automatically try to decrease the whole curve on Its own? Because right now when I hold cntrl & drag the slider it brings the clock speed down with it the whole curve. I want to leave the clock speed where it is & only undervolt it at the same clock speeds to see how low I can go stable. And is it right on the main program as a slider or in the settings somewhere?

I recommend doing it this way:
  1. run game for a while and see what your GPU clock settles at (this will be your desired undervolt frequency)
    1. For me this is 1920mHz on my 3080
  2. Open that Voltage/Frequency curve and find that frequency.
    1. 1628725515591.png
  3. Find desired Voltage and click the dot, and click 'l' on keyboard
    1. 1628725595111.png
  4. Main application put a positive offset in Frequency to get back to desired frequency from step 1
    1. 1628725665902.png
  5. Click Apply to save this progress (we're not done)
  6. Now use "tab" key to traverse dots, and press ctrl+down arrow until every dot after your locked voltage dot is equal to the same frequency
    1. 1628725858567.png
  7. Click apply again and adjust any dots that may have moved after apply.
  8. Press 'l' to unlock the voltage (this allows card to downclock for 2d loads & save energy)
  9. Hit apply again.
  10. Save to one of the profiles.
    1. 1628726094415.png

I recommend doing it this way:
  1. run game for a while and see what your GPU clock settles at (this will be your desired undervolt frequency)
    1. For me this is 1920mHz on my 3080
  2. Open that Voltage/Frequency curve and find that frequency.
  3. Find desired Voltage and click the dot, and click 'l' on keyboard
  4. Main application put a positive offset in Frequency to get back to desired frequency from step 1
  5. Click Apply to save this progress (we're not done)
  6. Now use "tab" key to traverse dots, and press ctrl+down arrow until every dot after your locked voltage dot is equal to the same frequency
  7. Click apply again and adjust any dots that may have moved after apply.
  8. Press 'l' to unlock the voltage (this allows card to downclock for 2d loads & save energy)
  9. Hit apply again.
  10. Save to one of the profiles.

Excellent explanation. I thank you for the effort and time put into this beautiful step by step graph, It is quite impressive.

I will experiment with these tips & report back my results. I appreciate the insight.

Also what card are you running and at what clock speed/voltage?

Unfortunately right after I posted this it crashed mid game. So i bumped up the voltage another notch to see when It is going to be stable. Anything look off?

Upped the Voltage to 0.993 let's see how long this stays stable for...

Last edited:
I don't know much about 2080Ti stock clocks but your 2010 Core Clock seems aggressive?

I am coming from Rog Strict 3080 though and in my case with my preferred quiet fan profile it settles out to about 1920 mHz Core during heavy load.

With the undervolt/overclock applied my card uses significantly less power and stays cooler than if I left it on stock settings.

What was the positive Core Clock offset you applied to reach 2010?

I don't know much about 2080Ti stock clocks but your 2010 Core Clock seems aggressive?

I am coming from Rog Strict 3080 though and in my case with my preferred quiet fan profile it settles out to about 1920 mHz Core during heavy load.

With the undervolt/overclock applied my card uses significantly less power and stays cooler than if I left it on stock settings.

What was the positive Core Clock offset you applied to reach 2010?

Hey Almighty ODST, the 2010 core clock is pretty much the high end of boost the 2080Ti Seahawk EK-X is doing stock so I kept it near that range. The card has an EK waterblock on it so maybe that explains the higher clocks stock. It even wants to go higher like 2040 or 2050 sometimes at these settings.

So I played 2 hours of gaming at these settings & it was perfectly fine. I actually even bumped up the memory clock to 7250 for a while & it seemed to hold it all just fine. As you can see the voltage I brought it down to 0.993 where stock it was at least always over 1.050 or more. Temps have dropped not a whole lot but by a few degrees for sure which is always welcome & was the whole point of this mission.

I did not set a positive core clock in the main GUI. I just set the point on the 0.993 voltage cranked up to about 2030mhz and saved it to profile one while moving the max power slider to 110% & the max temperature limit to 65 degrees.

This screen shot was just to show, I actually played with these settings for 2 hours. Very happy & have hope to run a cooler card at the same clock speeds undervolted. Ty for any tips/tricks :)

Untitled.png

Back