B550 CPU Compatibility

mda

2[H]4U
Hi all,

Now that AM4's compatibility is slightly weird given AMD's newfound support for the 300 series, I'd like to ask about the B550's compatibility.

Is it now compatible with Zen/Zen+ given CPU support is now rolled into the AGESA? Obviously there will be no official support since they aren't on the motherboard pages, but I figured I'd ask here in any case assuming someone has tried.

Picked up a cheap B550 board recently. Looking for options on what CPU to slot in.

Thanks!

It will come down to specific model boards and bios. Some bios just don't contain the cpuid microcode for certain chips while some manufacturers just throw in everything that fits. Mcextractor is a tool you can use to identify what cpuids are in a given bios if you are that curious

Reactions: mda
like this
It will come down to specific model boards and bios. Some bios just don't contain the cpuid microcode for certain chips while some manufacturers just throw in everything that fits. Mcextractor is a tool you can use to identify what cpuids are in a given bios if you are that curious
Great info. Will look up the BIOS on mine tonight.

Thanks!

Back