AW3821DW (Nov 2020) with GSync Ultimate

People in the monitor discord are reporting that its 120hz

Also, i think gsync ultimate has to be hdr10...

It is Dell's version of the 38GN, most likely... 144hz g-sync compatible, no hardware module, HDR600.

It is Dell's version of the 38GN, most likely... 144hz g-sync compatible, no hardware module, HDR600.

It says gsync ULTIMATE so that should imply a physical module. PCMonitors also agrees:

https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-alienware-aw3821dw-144hz-g-sync-ultimate-ultrawide/

From nvidia:
1602355015513.png

Either the gsync ultimate spec was tweaked to include HDR600 or Alienware is giving out the wrong information.

The price implies that it is wrong information. You can't have 38" HDR1000 with G-Sync hardware module for 1800 Dollars.
Why? The 38GN (FreeSync) has been $1600 while the 38GL started at 1800 (G-Sync). Both use this same LG panel with different backlighting.

Why? The 38GN (FreeSync) has been $1600 while the 38GL started at 1800 (G-Sync). Both use this same LG panel with different backlighting.
I think because Alienware always has a premium to its price and it definitely cant support G-Sync Ultimate at that price point.

Alas, desktop FALD is still fiendishly expensive. But the knight in shining armour has already started its multiyearslong journey!

Long term, I am expecting MiniLED backlit desktop monitors to fall sub-$1000 in approximately 2025 -- perhaps as early as 2022-2023.

I have witnessed the commoditization of LED ribbons normally used for accent lighting -- you can now cheaply build your own homemade jumbotron out of cheap WS2812B (Neopixel-compatible) RGB-addressable LED ribbons at about $10 per Jumbotron pixel row in quantity purchases from Alibaba (up to 5 meters wide). And you can buy LED light bulbs for as cheap as 50 cents unlike 50 dollars. Commoditization hasn't hit FALD yet, but I am witnessing factory moves that suggests a mid-2020s-decade commoditization of monochrome LED matrixes -- perfect for more affordable FALD.

They already use machines to manufacture ribbons or 64x64 JumboTron modules, they're currently building machines to soon manufacture MiniLED sheeting in one modular pass; and once that happens -- FALD prices will dramatically fall for small screens (LCD VR, LCD mobile phones, LCD tablets, LCD laptops, LCD desktop monitors).

Also, once you go beyond approximately 10,000 LEDs to 50,000 LEDs in a FALD backlight sheet, the blooming becomes smaller than the bloom on a CRT around phosphor dots. Might as well compete with OLED at this stage. Pour in the overkill, baby...

It has not happened yet to MiniLED sheets suitable for backlighting, but I am looking forward to commoditization of desktop FALD later this decade FTW!

Last edited:
Monitor is on sale now if anyone wants to pay the MSRP ($1900):

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-AXVG

I'm going to wait to read reviews (especially if there are any annoying fan noises) and for the first decent sale on it. Don't think the monitor is worth the $1900 price tag. Would probably pay $1600 max for it.
Someone has to buy this monitor and clear the confusion how the fuck can gsync ultimate be hdr600.
If it supports hdr600 and has hardware gsync module - end game for me until micro leds come into every house.

Last edited:
Someone has to buy this monitor and clear the confusion how the fuck can gsync ultimate be hdr600.
If it supports hdr600 and has hardware gsync module - end game for me until micro leds come into every house.
What's so impossible about it? G-Sync Ultimate has been doing HDR 600 since the PG27UQ came out over two years ago. You'll probably get the same HDR experience here.

Now, ELMB + HDR is a different story...

What's so impossible about it? G-Sync Ultimate has been doing HDR 600 since the PG27UQ came out over two years ago. You'll probably get the same HDR experience here.

Now, ELMB + HDR is a different story...
PG27UQ is HDR1000.

Why are you excited for hdr600 over 1000 in a Gsync Ultimate monitor?
Because it can't be Gsync Ultimate and hdr600. If it has hardware module and is hdr600 certified at the same time - this makes me feel excited, because all 38" gsync hardware monitors are hdr400.

At $1900 it has to include the gsync hardware. The bigger questions are: does it have a fan and, if so, how loud is it?

Check this out, they even have a video with Gsync Ultimate logo and HDR 600 displayed at the same time on the monitor:

monitors_alienware_aw3821dw_pdp_mod02_gif.gif

This breaks my brain.
Apparently what they did they took the 38GN panel and added a hardware module to it. And Nvidia allowed them to certify it as a Gsync Ultimate monitor. If I'm right, this is my monitor.

Because it can't be Gsync Ultimate and hdr600. If it has hardware module and is hdr600 certified at the same time - this makes me feel excited, because all 38" gsync hardware monitors are hdr400.
Firstly, HDR-600 isn't a certification. According to VESA, HDR-600 (thus, HDR-400, HDR-1000, etc.) is an "undefined spec". The terminology you're looking for is DisplayHDR 600, which is a VESA "certification".

Secondly, G-Sync Ultimate doesn't imply any (HDR) certification whatsoever. Nvidia only ever claims 1000 nits with Ultimate, which by itself, doesn't imply anything meaningful other than it can get really bright (i.e. what about black levels? contrast ratio? etc.). You could imply HDR-1000 from 1000 nits, but, again, that's still not a certification. HDR-1000 is pure marketing drivel.

Thirdly, VESA doesn't list the AW3821DW on its list of certified products (yet!). That may be due to it pending certification as it has not yet been through the labs.

Lastly, Dell lists the AW3821DW as DisplayHDR 600. So unless you're calling Dell outright liars...

All things said, I would be surprised if this panel would not make it as DisplayHDR 600 certification. I think you're reading too much into what Ultimate brings to the table.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on a quote for the 27" version to have on hand and then will bite once reviews confirm fan/no fan issue.

Well, now when it's out, it is clear that this monitor is the dream monitor come true. And it is the one to get without a doubt. It has the hardware Gsync module, the fan is deadly silent and it has HDR600. There is only one problem with it... there one brand that is not present (at least not in full force) on the market where I live, and guess what that's right....that brand is Alienware.

Well, now when it's out, it is clear that this monitor is the dream monitor come true. And it is the one to get without a doubt. It has the hardware Gsync module, the fan is deadly silent and it has HDR600. There is only one problem with it... there one brand that is not present (at least not in full force) on the market where I live, and guess what that's right....that brand is Alienware.
Is that confirmed deadly silent for the 27 and 38? or just the 38?

Also, holy !@#$, so I have a dell contact with work and requested a personal quote for the 27 and 38 and I think he gave me an employee pricing... cuz the prices he just quoted were just over half msrp with the 5 year coverage.

Is that confirmed deadly silent for the 27 and 38? or just the 38?

Also, holy !@#$, so I have a dell contact with work and requested a personal quote for the 27 and 38 and I think he gave me an employee pricing... cuz the prices he just quoted were just over half msrp with the 5 year coverage.
I speak only for the 38". Also lucky bastard you are...

I'm guessing it's the fan for the G-Sync unit, but I'm not about to open it up and find out.

I ran the monitor all day and never noticed any sounds coming from it. I doubt I would have known there was a fan if I hadn't read about the potential before hand and tried to confirm.

And definitely no popping or coil whine so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/jt29w2/aw3821dw_arrived/

I speak only for the 38". Also lucky bastard you are...

I'm guessing it's the fan for the G-Sync unit, but I'm not about to open it up and find out.

I ran the monitor all day and never noticed any sounds coming from it. I doubt I would have known there was a fan if I hadn't read about the potential before hand and tried to confirm.

And definitely no popping or coil whine so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/jt29w2/aw3821dw_arrived/
Good to know, thanks for the direct comment link, I scanned the post but didn't see direct info about the fan like that.
I bought the U3415w when it first came out in Jan of 2015 for just over $1k, can't decide if I really want to do that again, although its still going strong nearly 6 years later.

I'm going to get either the 27" or the 38" I just can decide which~
- I like the 27 for the more reasonable resolution 1440p vs 1600p but I have concerns about downgrading size going from a 34" ultrawide to a 27" standard
- Being on 60hz currently I dont know enough whether the 240hz vs 144hz going to matter/make a difference for 1440@240hz vs 1600@144hz~ I'm going to upgrade to a 3080/ti whenever stock allows from my 1070 so it should be able to run either (and the g-sync module should pickup any slack on higher demand games)
I do play quite a few fps so I think either option will be a substantial improvement.
- My original plan was to spend up to $1k to get the 27" not expecting to get that much off but if I go over budget a little I can get the 38" alternatively I can come in extremely under budget with 27" and feel better about it and the 3080 purchase (and then be optimistic for 30-40" oled options in the next 4-5 years).
My u3415w still holds pretty decent value at 300-400$ so I can recoup some of the cost by selling as I still have all the original box/packing.

Any advice on the above deliberation for folks that have made the various resolution vs hz jumps?

Go with the 27 and the 38... then turn around and sell me the 38 for a profit :)

Wow if they can offer you that much of a discount, I guess the monitor has a huge ass markup

Wow if they can offer you that much of a discount, I guess the monitor has a huge ass markup
Pretty common with any new product, sell it at a premium new to recoup your R&D and drop it in price as competition and/or demand slows.
That similar model U3415w I think I last saw sold for like 1/3 of the original price (500-600) from Dell directly when they were end of sale'ing the model.

Pretty common with any new product, sell it at a premium new to recoup your R&D and drop it in price as competition and/or demand slows.
That similar model U3415w I think I last saw sold for like 1/3 of the original price (500-600) from Dell directly when they were end of sale'ing the model.
Can you order me that 38"?

Can you order me that 38"?
I wish, I'd love to get a bunch of'em to resell (with a small fee for myself 🤑) however:
A) I'm 99% sure I'm gonna order one for myself so it'd be suspicious to suddenly switch the order to 2 ~ or 5 since I think alot of people would jump at that lol.
B) Fairly certain the personal purchase program he put the quote through has terms that state no reselling (at least not purchasing with intent to resell).

If you have a office type job you might consider talking to your IT team and see if they have a Dell contact that can request a personal purchase quote like I did (I'm IT for my company so I already had the rep's contact).

I have it. It's the best thing I've laid eyes on :) fan is non existent noisewise. Not sure I can explain the gsync ultimate, but it does indeed work so I'd be happy to check something if it can be explained

I have it. It's the best thing I've laid eyes on :) fan is non existent noisewise. Not sure I can explain the gsync ultimate, but it does indeed work so I'd be happy to check something if it can be explained
Is there any way to get it to do good sRGB color for when you are using it for SDR gaming?

So far I think I can't change any of the color settings beyond 8 bit rgb. I think maybe if I had display port 2.0; and a RTX GPU? I'd have enough bandwidth?

Currently running it through a 1080 Ti

Hey guys,

I decided to jump off a cliff, and ordered the AW3821DW today. Dell says it should be delivered Friday. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have, once I get it.

Hopefully it will be worth the money!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I decided to jump off a cliff, and ordered the AW3821DW today. Dell says it should be delivered Friday. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have, once I get it.

Hopefully it will be worth the money!
I did the same. I'm sure it won't be worth the money per se as $1900 is an insane amount for a monitor... but I hope I'll be happy with it :)

It will be available only in January or February for me. Doesn't matter, but I decided to post this important info anyway.

Back