Audio streaming issue

Hi all

I'm having an issue using my desktop PC, when I stream music from the internet, the audio is stuttering and glitching.

I use the machine for audio production work and it's fine when working locally, i.e., I can play music files through the machine and use a DAW with no issues).

It's only when I'm streaming online that it's an issue. I can download and upload files from the internet fine. I can stream video on YouTube/VoD services but it will lag and glitch with the audio.

The specs of the machine:

Windows 10 Home, Intel i5 4690k, 1TD SSD storage, ~125 GB HDD system, 8 GB RAM.
I'm using an external audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 3rd Gen) to play audio, but again no issues with local files so I suspect it's a network thing. The machine is connected to the internet using a TP Link dongle (Archer T3U Plus AC1300).

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot/solve this would be hugely appreciated. I've tried disabling start-up applications which didn't solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I had tried a few other browsers, no dice.

I had already tried the WiFI dongle driver but updated it again just now for good measure along with the Focusrite driver.

Still the same issue.

I just tested my internet speed and it's 40.5Mbps download and 16.4 Mbps upload, if that's useful to know.

Yeah, I had tried a few other browsers, no dice.

I had already tried the WiFI dongle driver but updated it again just now for good measure along with the Focusrite driver.

Still the same issue.

I just tested my internet speed and it's 40.5Mbps download and 16.4 Mbps upload, if that's useful to know.
can you test with the onboard instead of the scarlett?
thats plenty of speed for streaming.

Sound dumb but is Windows using the Focusrite ASIO drivers? In my daw I can set the i/o device different than what windows is set to. I've had windows revert mine to standard windows drivers and had to reset it.

Sound dumb but is Windows using the Focusrite ASIO drivers? In my daw I can set the i/o device different than what windows is set to. I've had windows revert mine to standard windows drivers and had to reset it.
I think this has solved it! Both the Focusrite and Realtek HD input drivers were enabled. Disabled the latter and it seems to be running properly now. Thank you SO much, has been a problem for months. Will report back in a few days if it's still running smoothly.

I think this has solved it! Both the Focusrite and Realtek HD input drivers were enabled. Disabled the latter and it seems to be running properly now. Thank you SO much, has been a problem for months. Will report back in a few days if it's still running smoothly.
which part fixed it, disabling realtek or correcting the drivers?

What service are you using and are you able to try more than one service (like Spotify and Amazon) and see if they both stutter?

Also, if you're on Windows, maybe try using the app? Amazon has more features when you use their app.

Streaming music should be pretty easy for any modern system on a modern network.

I got a Wiim Mini a few months back and it works as an Amazon streaming device - I can select the music with my phone and it plays from the streamer in 24/96 - it's a great experience but I guess it depends on your setup...

I was going to be simple and say can you try hard wired first to eliminate WiFi being the issue :D and different browsers for each platform to test on.

I was going to be simple and say can you try hard wired first to eliminate WiFi being the issue :D and different browsers for each platform to test on.
WiFi for desktops makes me apoplectic especially if the builder owns their building.

Back