ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 performance

Nobu

[H]F Junkie
I was planning on getting a laptop and don't want to pay a lot. Unfortunately most low priced laptops(At least the AMD ones) have the Radeon Xpress 1150.

What I was wondering is if it can perform, if I have a fair amount of memory, as well as my GeForce 7100 that I have in my desktop. If it does at least that well I won't be too worried about getting it, as I probably won't be playing too many games on it.

Most graphically intensive activities to be performed on it:
(Most to least, top to bottom)

_1.)Desktop Effects (Mostly on Linux, I'll likely opt for Vista Home Basic so that's no big thing)
_2.)Older Games (C&C Tiberian Dawn, Total Annihilation, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)
_3.)Whatever I'll be doing in college in a year or two.
_4.)Basic computing (Web surfing, listening to music, watching videos, maybe some light image editing/creation)

1) You should be fine. Vista Aero should work with the IGP.

2) As long as you play these games at 1024x768 and below, you should be fine. I don't think I would try them at much above that though.

3) Welcome to my world. I doubt your video card will have anything to do with your college experience. That is, unless you are doing intensive video editing with HD content, encoding, etc.

4) All of these will have little to nothing to do with the IGP. Photo editing relies on the CPU, so get a fast processor if you're into photo editing.

It looks like you just need a machine that has a decent processor, which in your case is far more important than the video card.

Be warned though, nearly all games from 2004 to present will run like sh!t with either of your video cards. Try running Crysis on that machine. :eek:

IIRC the x1150 is really just a rebadged slightly higher clocked x200 (only the x12x0 are new chipset)

based on that (i own a x200 lappy myself):

basic 3d is easy, i could play C&C generals an ut2k4 on medium/low settingss 1280*800 without problems. as for the games you list:
- C&C tiberian dawn (C&C1) isnt even 3d, should run on a pentium 75 mhz with 16/32 mb ram
- total anihilation, very basic 3d, ran nicely on an intel i810 integrated chipset, no problem
- morrowind, dont know, but afaik pretty old, so no problem

the one thing you want to be mindfull of is the fact that Ati drivers for linux SUCK (using the standard ati driver for ubuntu, the x200 isnt even supported for 3d mode, so no beryl/compiz for me)

the x200/x1100 integrated chips arent that bad, you can easily play some older 3d games, the only downside i see is them being Ati (and i personally hate ati for their constant fucking up with drivers)

Thanks for the replies.

I knew their Linux drivers were lacking, which is why I was discouraged to see that most low end laptops had an ATI graphics chip-set. I also knew that they had recently did something to help with their drivers in Linux, which is why I still considered getting one. ;)

So, the prospects seem okay for getting a laptop with ATI... Now I just need the money. Mow the lawn about 20 more times, I'll have $6x10², and I'll have enough to get one.:rolleyes:

Edit: Thanks again. :D

Back