Asus z690-p wifi d4 cpu voltages?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Does Asus ship their z690-p wifi d4 board with too high of voltages for the 13700k cpu?

I am running my board at stock and didn't know if I should undervolt or adjust the default voltage values. I remember reading somewhere that they were too high out of the box. Not sure if that was asus or another brand.

I run a 13700k cpu with the asus z690-p wifi d4 motherboard. Should I undervolt my cpu and/or change the default cpu voltages? I ran cinebench and with 6 minutes left in the multi thread benchmark starting hitting 100c. That should not happen and I would like to fix that. Thanks!

Does asus out of the box default settings have to high of voltages for the 13700k? I was looking to undervolting and changing the voltages on my asus z690-p wifi d4 board.

But I am not sure asus aggressively increased the voltages for intel cpus. Do they do this on this board? Should I change them? What should they be and where do I do this at in my bios?

Thanks everyone!

I have the thermalright ILM frame on it. I will soon be putting a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler on it as my AIO. Right now my AIO is pure crap.

The case is a regular ATX case with good airflow. I am hoping with the new AIO it will lower my temps a good amount. I am going to keep the motherboard. I don't think that has anything to do with my temps. I think it's the AIO that is shit currently. Hopefully that helps replacing it.. I am using kryonaut cpu thermal paste.

It´s rather a combination of three things:

1.: Most important would be that it does not limit your cpu to intels spec (P1 an P2 restrictions are are set to 256 and full bore 4000+). Set them to your spec. Top of my head it was 256/125 on intels page for a 13700k?

2.: It also uses conservative powersettings so that the rig can run in worst case scenarios. Setting the vid table to "best case scenario" will reduce heat. May include instability.

3.: You sound like every ...third? xx700k buyer for the last decade. So what´s that gonna tell you?

Next step:
Please read up upon adpative voltage in combination with "offset voltage" and a starting value of 0.02 to undervolt. Some get away with even 0.05-0.08

Kindly get into the habit of posting a hwinfo64 screenshot

and if possible this as well:
AAA.jpg

This is a control for a bad batch of paste and bad contact.

As a gamer:
Disable the e-cores in win 10 and leave one "on" in win11.
Hyperthreading off lets you overclock higher or run cooler -> the ipc per core gets raised a bit as well.

To be checked with the framtime analystis tool of your choice.

Happy tweaking :)

Ok. I disabled hyperthreading and also disabled all but 1 ecores for my win 11 OS.

What screenshot do you want from hwinfo64? Not sure what to grab.

I'll read up on adaptive and offset voltage. Is there any quick go to settings I could try?

Thanks.

Also where do I go in an Asus boards bios to change:

1.: Most important would be that it does not limit your cpu to intels spec (P1 an P2 restrictions are are set to 256 and full bore 4000+). Set them to your spec. Top of my head it was 256/125 on intels page for a 13700k?

2.: It also uses conservative powersettings so that the rig can run in worst case scenarios. Setting the vid table to "best case scenario" will reduce heat. May include instability.

I just do not know where to go in the bios for those two tips.

Screenshot 2023-04-08 171258.png

Last edited:
That would be the above extreme tweaker tab in bios.

Please find "Global adaptive voltage" and set it to adaptive. Some extra lines appear.
Set offset voltage sign to "-"
Offest voltage to 0.02

By now you have scrolled past "SVID Behaviour". Scroll back up and choose Best-Case scenario.

Start gaming/benching/working.

Concerning Hwinfo64 and what screenshot to make:
Well at best how about everything?

Somehting like this AFTER stressing the rig.
1680989330101.png

Granted. Some stuff i have disabled here, but you get the point.

The P1 and P2 restrictions are under a sub menue. Sorry you´ll have to click through them.

...and getting the intel retrictions : Set Asus Multicore enhancement to disabled please.

Last edited:
Ok I have done everything. I am going to get my new AIO on this Tuesday coming up. I will post my results after I get the cooler installed. Gonna make sure I apply that thermal paste like a champion. Changed PL1 to 125 and PL2 to 253.

Thanks again. I'll revisit this on Tuesday!

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Why would....Setting the vid table to "best case scenario" will reduce heat. May include instability.......cause instability?

Less safety margins, voltage wise.

In a best case scenario the electrical and thermal resistance is low and less is lost during delivery and less (voltage/heat) get´s added on top to compensate.
AC_LL and to a smaller extent DC_LL would be the words to start your research with concerning this.

Air cooled NH-D15s like AC_LL 0.01 (lowest possible value)
Which is a cheap trick since it´s like disabling one of two (D5) pumps which control/compensate the flow/voltage simply because they dump their heat into the system.
One less pump = less heat

(y) and thanks, i meant "may cause" instability

Your next step could include removing a lot of the auto settings and setting boundries for the cpu with the topic "ThermalVelocityBoost", which can eak out the last few 100Mhz or can be used to reign in a hothead cpu without loosing much performance.
That´s like 55x clicks or values for TVB alone.

These are all suggestions to implement and test quickly.
We don´t got into the nitty gritty here since those tips need to be implemented one by one with a stringent testing procedure to find sweet spots of secondary voltages like VDDQ or SA voltage.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I am going to stick to the basic stuff like we just did. After all I am not overclocking. I just wanted lower temps all around when I get my new AIO installed.

I think I am good to go. I am just going to put on a decent sized amount of kryonaut and make sure I seat the AIO heatsink flush. That'll about do it for me.

Thank you much!

No Problem. Please keep in mind that you have bought a bin that is generally hotter.
If you don´t like to go above a certain point you can activate Asus multicore enhancement (90c) or find the ... "cpu max temp" in a sub menue under xtreme tweaker and put in a value of your choosing. Both options are totally valid and (almost) as good as setting TVB manually.

If you like to stay "auto" concerning cpu voltages have a look for LLC LoadLineCalibartion. Often the board picks higher values than needed which also drives up the heat.
The bios itself suggests LvL 4 for overclocking. I bet your board uses a higher one. Set LvL4.

If you want to overclock, play with LvL4 until you are almost stable with your new toy and then try LvL5/6.

Best Regards
Carlyle

I will use LLC and set it to lvl 4 then try 5/6. How do I actually up the mhz to overclock? I haven't overclocked a cpu since the Pentium 3 500mhz days and before that the Pentium 2 333mhz slot 1 chip..oh what fun it was in 1998! So I have no idea what values or where and what settings to look/change in my z690-p asus board.

Do you know what settings to change to oc the mhz? If I do venture into overclocking that is. Will keeping my ecores disabled hurt my win 11 performance at all? Will it help in gaming?

Last edited:
On my 13900KS I have only 4 E-cores active. Hyperthreading disabled. Voltage is on negative offset -0.085 for now. Keeps my chip well below 1.3v, like low 1.2v. Stays amazing cool. Heck if I leave it stock it pushes up all the way up to 1.4v. And temps push up to the 90c range. The thing is at 144hz 4k I don't need to push my chip in the games I play so no need to overvolt it. Plus I have the 4090 in the same loop so keeping it cooler together is very nice. Run a negative offset on your voltage, it's luxurious lol.

I suck at math. .085 is a bigger offset than .02 correct? I mean that is undervolting it even more than my .02 right? I really have 1st grade math skills.

Edit: So I increased my offset from .02 to .05 and set LLC to level 4. Now...can you guys tell me how to actually overclock the mhz? Where do I go to in my asus z690-p bios to do this? And what settings am I changing and how much?

I set 4 e-cores to enabled instead of one. Thanks guys! Now I am interested in overclocking. Oh and by the way cinebench now runs at a max of 60 to 66c when before it hit 100c with 6:30 left in the benchmark! Drastic decrease in temps!!! Thanks!

Last edited:
Will I lose performance in games by disabling hyperthreading? I don't want to gimp my cpu. Also I am keeping 2 ecores enabled. Is that ok?

How much am I sacrificing by disabling hyperthreading?

Will I lose performance in games by disabling hyperthreading? I don't want to gimp my cpu. Also I am keeping 2 ecores enabled. Is that ok?

How much am I sacrificing by disabling hyperthreading?
On an 8 core CPU you lose little to nothing in games by disabling HT.

Back