Asus Z690 Hero board failures

kenpomasta

Gawd
Just wanted to raise this, if anyone hadnt seen this. Saw this on JayzTwoCents, and Buildzoid believes he found the issue. -

Summary: Multiple reports of issues with Asus Z690 Hero motherboards, where people are either getting a Q53 error code for memory, or some reports of mobos burning up, and even a report of fire.

Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this, and please make sure you check your Z690 Hero board if you have 1. Both vids go into detail of what the issue is. I dont believe Asus has come up yet and confirmed this either way, but I hope they come up ASAP with confirmation 1 way or another.

Links to vids:
JayzTwoCents followup
Buildzoids take

Yep. Thankfully I haven't used my board yet. It's sitting next to me and sure as shit that capacitor is fitted backwards. I can't even get my hands on the G.Skill kit I want so I'm already fine with waiting to find a solution to this. But it is definitely ridiculous and unacceptable from ASUS. The QC for these boards was clearly shit and someone fucked up.

We all know QC can miss things, and every manuf sometime during their history can have issues, but its how the Manuf responds is big. I hope Asus goes above and beyond for their customers, as I know many that are very Loyal Asus customers.

Better call Asus and get a replacement.
Proabably have to wait til Asus officially acknowledges the issue. Their RMA services given all the horror stories we hear about would proabably claim their is no issue and don't know wtf you talking about

Proabably have to wait til Asus officially acknowledges the issue. Their RMA services given all the horror stories we hear about would proabably claim their is no issue and don't know wtf you talking about
They would claim it was the owner's fault and say the repair will cost $900 (more than you paid for a new hero board.)

At best they'll accept it and send you another board with the same defect. That's what I worry about doing an exchange with Newegg too. Better off waiting for an official solution from ASUS.

At best they'll accept it and send you another board with the same defect. That's what I worry about doing an exchange with Newegg too. Better off waiting for an official solution from ASUS.
I attempted this with amazon last night and they didn't have any in stock so it's give up the board entirely for me. Their market place had them at $400 over MSRP but those guys aren't going to accept the RMA.

From Jay's video people have RMA MB only to get new ones back with the same issue.

playing devils advocate here but Asus prob just swapped the boards out before realizing the issue was on the manufacturing side. I bet they know now though. heh

From Jay's video people have RMA MB only to get new ones back with the same issue.
Yep, that sort of coin toss I'm just not interested in. I'll wait for a targeted response to this issue so I can get a solid board from the RMA process.

I mean shit, I've already been waiting 4 weeks to find someplace to buy DDR5 from anyway, so what's another month or two? 😄

Yep, that sort of coin toss I'm just not interested in. I'll wait for a targeted response to this issue so I can get a solid board from the RMA process.

I mean shit, I've already been waiting 4 weeks to find someplace to buy DDR5 from anyway, so what's another month or two? 😄
:( I know DDR5 has been insane to find.

I'd heat that up with my desolder station and flip it over and call it a day. Waiting for asus you might as well wait for next gen.
haha that was my first thought as well just slp it on the bench fire up the reflow gun and tape around area tos bit of flux and fix it but i see from other side people who spent $700-900 a board should not be doing this. but then again this pandemic and supply chain issues i can see this being a long turn around for new boards.

Haha just an hour before I submitted my RMA request. They authorized my RMA within 30m too.

Chat support guy said that it should be a new board from a new batch. Said it should be a whole new box and everything too since it will be a new SN. Fingers crossed.
Good on Asus taking care of it. They would be foolish if they tried to sweep this under the rug after what gigabyte and NZXT did the past year.

Haha just an hour before I submitted my RMA request. They authorized my RMA within 30m too.

Chat support guy said that it should be a new board from a new batch. Said it should be a whole new box and everything too since it will be a new SN. Fingers crossed.
You must've gotten a good chat person, I'm having to wait for an escalation.

So did I :/

Are any of y'all attempting to do cross shipping?

I hope for the customers' sake Asus doesn't do their usual nonsense like with GPU rma's. Their reputation isn't exactly great on this front.

So did I :/

Are any of y'all attempting to do cross shipping?
Cross shipping?

I hope for the customers' sake Asus doesn't do their usual nonsense like with GPU rma's. Their reputation isn't exactly great on this front.
How does it usually go? I read some bad experiences on Reddit before deciding to file my RMA. Fingers will remain crossed.

How does it usually go? I read some bad experiences on Reddit before deciding to file my RMA. Fingers will remain crossed.

Months of shipping back and forth, not getting the cards fixed the first time. RMA denials etc.. It looks like they will respond well here given the media coverage and that they might not want to lose their good reputation on mobos.

they send new board first
Well that would have been absolutely lovely. I should have considered that and pushed that angle with them.

Months of shipping back and forth, not getting the cards fixed the first time. RMA denials etc.. It looks like they will respond well here given the media coverage and that they might not want to lose their good reputation on mobos.
God that does sound miserable. Hopefully all goes well.

Well that would have been absolutely lovely. I should have considered that and pushed that angle with them.

God that does sound miserable. Hopefully all goes well.
ive had this done before so it shouldnt be an issue unless theyve just stopped doing it

Asus states they don't have any in stock and have discontinued producing them.

I would be able to advance RMA (cross ship) if they had any.. so I'm down to return it to amazon, they give me a comparable board, or they buy it back. Either way it sounds like I'm not getting to keep my Hero.

Now I get to figure out what board is comparable to get it, if THOSE are in stock :(

Looks like Apex was the only way to go in terms of comparable... mildly annoying but shit happens I guess.

That's a bummer. At least you got a full kitted 12th gen system to use. I'm stuck waiting for DDR5. I do wish all of the ROG Maximus lineup came with the sexy backplate that the Extreme has.

Wonder if they're going to make a new one with a new name to eliminate the "issue"

Asus is the only motherboard that's NEVER failed on me. I've used Maximus Hero boards in my last 3, and current, builds. I've got a sealed Maximus Formula and sealed i9-12900k sitting on my desk along with some other components for my new build. But, I ain't building nuthin' until I see how Asus cleans up this mess.

Asus has to make good, Discontinuing a brand new mobo ..... Sounds like they had seen the issue in manuf, and decided instead of fixing the issue in manuf, they just stopped the manuf plant line.

They better make this right, its not like the z690 Hero board was a $100 board, it was a very expense mobo.

Asus has to make good, Discontinuing a brand new mobo ..... Sounds like they had seen the issue in manuf, and decided instead of fixing the issue in manuf, they just stopped the manuf plant line.

They better make this right, its not like the z690 Hero board was a $100 board, it was a very expense mobo.
They've already said they're fixing them - I suspect we'll have a "new" board with the same specs but a different name (based on history, Z690 Hero Alpha (see also - Zenith Extreme Alpha and Zenith II Extreme Alpha, although those were for upgraded power stages for new procs)) that is "guaranteed" to work. That way there's no doubt for future purchases.

But that's nothing but a guess - if they did actually discontinue it.

Back