Asus TUF Gaming Z690 Plus WiFi D4 Driver Problems

mothman

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got the Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus WiFi D4 paired with an i5 12600K. Clean installed Win 11 and proceeded to install drivers from Asus site. Which incidentally though they say Win 11 they aren't actually new drivers, they are Win 10. After installing chipset, mei, serial io ect. I noticed several yellow ! in device manager. All of the serial io items (which I don't know if I need to begin with) have the yellow !. The most troubling though is in unknown devices it says Raid controller. I only use one m.2 nvme drive and have the Sata drives disabled in the bios.
The only way I could get rid of the yellow ! for raid controller was to install Intel Rapid storage Driver. So if anybody knows why this Asus board needs a raid controller when none is used let me know. Also if I need Serial io. If I uninstall Serial io the yellow ! are gone. I also tried a clean install of Win 10 and it's the same issues.

Yes. I disabled the Sata drives which seems to take everything Sata out of the picture.

Yes. I disabled the Sata drives which seems to take everything Sata out of the picture.
Just double checking in Advanced > PCH storage menu
you don't have Intel RST Premium with Intel optane acceleration selected right?

Unless Z690 is different I'm not sure why it would show up if disabled. All other board generations will do the same thing if RST is enabled, but once disabled in bios it will disappear from the dev manager.

Last edited:
Just got the Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus WiFi D4 paired with an i5 12600K. Clean installed Win 11 and proceeded to install drivers from Asus site. Which incidentally though they say Win 11 they aren't actually new drivers, they are Win 10. After installing chipset, mei, serial io ect. I noticed several yellow ! in device manager. All of the serial io items (which I don't know if I need to begin with) have the yellow !. The most troubling though is in unknown devices it says Raid controller. I only use one m.2 nvme drive and have the Sata drives disabled in the bios.
The only way I could get rid of the yellow ! for raid controller was to install Intel Rapid storage Driver. So if anybody knows why this Asus board needs a raid controller when none is used let me know. Also if I need Serial io. If I uninstall Serial io the yellow ! are gone. I also tried a clean install of Win 10 and it's the same issues.
do you have raid mode set in the bios, instead of ahci?

yeah check that ^^^ and if not dont worry about it and just install the drivers. windows update should also pick them all up.
oh and 11 uses 10 drivers fine, will even uses back to vista as long as they are 64bit

Just double checking in Advanced > PCH storage menu
you don't have Intel RST Premium with Intel optane acceleration selected right?

Unless Z690 is different I'm not sure why it would show up if disabled. All other board generations will do the same thing if RST is enabled, but once disabled in bios it will disappear from the dev manager.
In PCH Storage Menu there's only the option to enable/disable the sata controllers. There's nothing there re: RST Premium. To select raid/AHCi you have to have the sata controllers enabled. I have them disabled. What about Serial IO, I still have yellow ! by them, windows update doesn't pick up any of the questionable drivers. Also i have updated to the latest bios, no change. Does anybody have a Z690 system up and running without these issues ? I'm about ready to go down to Microcenter and swap the Asus for a Gigabyte.

In PCH Storage Menu there's only the option to enable/disable the sata controllers. There's nothing there re: RST Premium. To select raid/AHCi you have to have the sata controllers enabled. I have them disabled. What about Serial IO, I still have yellow ! by them, windows update doesn't pick up any of the questionable drivers. Also i have updated to the latest bios, no change. Does anybody have a Z690 system up and running without these issues ? I'm about ready to go down to Microcenter and swap the Asus for a Gigabyte.
If you enable the SATA drivers and then keep it at AHCI does the raid controller disappear? There should be an option in the bios to disable serial port. Sorry I know these options exist on the Z590 hopefully someone can chime in with a asus z690 board.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html

It's almost like the Intel RST driver is pretty much a catchall ICH driver for the parts of the chipset that used to be the southbridge.

I would just install it and forget about it. I would think that the "RAID controller" is just the part of the chipset controlling the SATA ports or something like that. Even if they are disabled, the underlying "controller" is still active.

Mostly this, but the motherboard also supports raid via NVMe so there is that.

Also if you haven't already check armoury crate to see if that can find some of your missing drivers

Seems like there's very little new activity on this motherboard forum and all the others for that matter

I was looking at this board personally. I don't think I need more than it offers, plus I generally like Asus boards. The comparable GB one is maybe $20 cheaper. If I pull the trigger, I'll probably end up with a comparable combo to the OP. I suppose I can let him know my experiences.

Seems like there's very little new activity on this motherboard forum and all the others for that matter
Despite Alder Lake, not a lot new - AL is still a stepping-stone generation it seems (with the Win11 requirements to take full advantage), so many of us are just waiting for Zen3 / Whatever comes after AL (at which point we'll be comfortable with Win11).

I just ordered this board today to go along with a MSRP priced 12700k. I'll see what happens.

I just ordered this board today to go along with a MSRP priced 12700k. I'll see what happens.

And just like that, I won the NE shuffle for a 12900k, so I guess I'll try the ROG z690-A D4 instead.

I haven't checked my device manager in years. Since Windows 10 hides it. I have the same Z690 Tuf board no problems I just plug and play the drive that was in my Z490 build. Suprised that actually worked after 1 week got a notify about Windows 11 not activated a few clicks took care of it.

I don't think that's going to make a difference because it's an Intel issue.

FWIW, I have the same thing on my Strix Z690 board with a fresh Win11 install.

I helped a friend build his with an i5 12600K and Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 and it doesn't have any of the above described issues. The Device Manager is clean.

I helped a friend build his with an i5 12600K and Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 and it doesn't have any of the above described issues. The Device Manager is clean.

Sounds like you just never found the correct setting to disable it on the Asus board.

Are you saying you have the same issues on your board ?

I had the same Yellow ! for "RAID Controller" on my Strix Z690-A. I just installed the Intel RST driver and no more yellow !.

I don't know. I didn't go looking in the BIOS for a place to disable it either, but it sounds like it's just the way Asus implements the chipset "features" in the bios. Functionally, the chipset on the GB and Asus boards are identical, so its just a matter of how they are coded into the BIOS.

Did you install the Intel Serial IO driver and get yellow ! under 'System devices' ? Also I did find a simple way to install the Raid controller without installing the whole system hogging Intel Rapid Storage Driver software.

Did you install the Intel Serial IO driver and get yellow ! under 'System devices' ? Also I did find a simple way to install the Raid controller without installing the whole system hogging Intel Rapid Storage Driver software.

Yes, I had a bunch of Yellow !. I installed the Serial IO (IIRC) the only one I had left was the RAID controller. It went away after installing the Intel RST driver.

Yes, I had a bunch of Yellow !. I installed the Serial IO (IIRC) the only one I had left was the RAID controller. It went away after installing the Intel RST driver.
I installed the Intel Serial IO driver from Asus site and got the yellow ! . Were you actually able to get rid of the Serial IO yellow ! and what did you mean by (IIRC). I appreciate your help and comments on my FS thread. I'm getting another Asus Z690 board and was hoping to get it set up clean the first time.

I installed the Intel Serial IO driver from Asus site and got the yellow ! . Were you actually able to get rid of the Serial IO yellow ! and what did you mean by (IIRC). I appreciate your help and comments on my FS thread. I'm getting another Asus Z690 board and was hoping to get it set up clean the first time.

I think the other guy in the FS thread commented about how you had "problems" with the board, but I didn't see problems here. "IIRC" was just a reference back to this thread without stopping what I was doing, finding it again, and referencing this thread directly.

If I get a chance to look deeper into the bios settings, I'll see if I can look for suggested changes to avoid that RAID controller driver. I have a feeling it is just Asus' implementation of the chipset features and you might have to also disable m.2 slots to avoid it (like the one(s) that are tied to the SATA connections).

I also noticed several yellow exclamation icons on the Serial IO and GNA devices in the Device Manager after installing the drivers for my TUF Z690. Upon double-clicking them, the device status indicates that the digital signatures for the drivers cannot be verified.

Screenshot 2021-12-07 121245.png

It's obviously a driver signing issue so the only way to get rid of it is to wait for Intel or Asus to release properly signed drivers that Windows 11 recognizes. Having those "yellow !" icons haven't really affected the reliability and function of my board as far as I'm concerned so they don't really bother me.

Back